Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get that he's a rookie. Is that the only reason?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see voters holding against him that the Spurs overall are not a very good defensive team (though since he moved to C and Tre Jones moved to starting PG, the Spurs have been an above-league-average defense).

That would be the only thing I can think of.

What are online sports books saying these days?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BS tradition will prevent it but he should...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should at least be in an all NBA team...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt about it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He ought to be but team stats on defense don't do his case any favors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs org - especially Pop - have absolutely, incomprehensibly failed Wemby this season. That’s the reason. That’s why.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any other coach/Franchise would have lobbied or promoted him

Pop wants him to get over himself

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should at least be in an all NBA team...

David Robinson was a force. Wonder what 29.8 points in 1993 would amount to today when adjusted for the absurd points inflation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Robinson was a force. Wonder what 29.8 points in 1993 would amount to today when adjusted for the absurd points inflation?
    1993-94 was coincidently the year that average scores really started to drop (falling 5 points from the proceeding season, and then dipping below 100 for the majority of the next 20 years).

93-94 average team score was 14 pts below what it is today, so you could easily make a case that 29ppg then is probably fairly equivalent to a few more points today. However, the big guys who dominate and put up big PPG average back then (David, Hakeem, Shaq, Ewing) didn’t have a 3 point shot so it’s fair to wonder what they would have done today. I’m sure David and Hakeem could have developed a three-ball if it was a priority, they were both that talented.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think of DPoY as a "defensive version of the MVP," then winning matters because you're looking for the guy whose defense leads to the biggest impact on his team success. That's the main argument I can see against it.

He should definitely be 1st team All-Defense though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see voters holding against him that the Spurs overall are not a very good defensive team (though since he moved to C and Tre Jones moved to starting PG, the Spurs have been an above-league-average defense).

That would be the only thing I can think of.

What are online sports books saying these days?
    Chet is ahead of him:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think of DPoY as a "defensive version of the MVP," then winning matters because you're looking for the guy whose defense leads to the biggest impact on his team success. That's the main argument I can see against it.

He should definitely be 1st team All-Defense though.
    Tim Duncan should have a shelf full of them, then. He doesn’t have even one. They went to players Ike Camby, who (checks notes ) blocked a lot of shots for a mid defensive team.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the fact that Tim never won DPOY while being the best defender on elite defensive teams several years in a row is insane.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 02-05-2024 at 10:06 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can't be DPOY with one of the worst defenses in the NBA. I'm sure he'll make All-Defensive 2nd Team though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll win some in the future, but for now I think the important lesson is to understand just how bad the rest of this team's defense really is, and to begin addressing that as soon as possible.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scary to think how elite this guy is and he can’t save these guys defensively. Absolutely - horrible roster. They got to find smarter and more athletic players.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan should have a shelf full of them, then. He doesn’t have even one. They went to players Ike Camby, who (checks notes ) blocked a lot of shots for a mid defensive team.
    Lunacy that neither Tim nor Bruce has even one.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just more proof that Victor is absolutely capable of being the #1 guy on a championship team. Not that we needed it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes scary good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's why I think All-Defensive team selections are more meaningful. Tim has 15 of those (8 first team).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's why I think All-Defensive team selections are more meaningful. Tim has 15 of those (8 first team).
    All-defensive teams are a joke. Kobe has just as or about as many as Timmy and he was a below average defender for more than half of his career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All-defensive teams are a joke. Kobe has just as or about as many as Timmy and he was a below average defender for more than half of his career.
    I just think it's more meaningful in that it [used to be] voted by coaches rather than media members. I see that this changed in 2013, but that means that most of Tim's selections were by coaches.

Coaches are biased too, so they probably had some "hangover effect" from Kobe's younger days. However, Tim holds the all-time record of 15 All-defense selections.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just think it's more meaningful in that it [used to be] voted by coaches rather than media members. I see that this changed in 2013, but that means that most of Tim's selections were by coaches.

Coaches are biased too, so they probably had some "hangover effect" from Kobe's younger days. However, Tim holds the all-time record of 15 All-defense selections.
    Looking at the current crop of coaches i'm thinking the media might be less biased.

Thread Information