Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More seriously, his comments flat out state they want to rebuild through the draft, and so I bet they would love to get the Toronto pick this year, and it does make you wonder about soft tanking and not winning as a goal this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to say this...Tim Duncan won a le in his second year, Pop.
    Dropped onto a veteran playoff team that had been to the WCFs already. Not the same cir stances as any that Pop mentioned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Do you see any similarities between what you are doing and what OKC has done?
    We do exactly the same thing.
    Not the same cir stances as any that Pop mentioned.
    Wrong.
    OKC acquired Shai GA from the Clippers. He was not an OKC draft pick.
    Already in place, already an All Star when Chet came on board.
    Doing 31/5/6 this year and getting some legit MVP votes.

Spurs have no one even close. Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did the Pacers have some great insight in choosing Haliburton? Or just luck out?

Can Spurs score thru the upcoming drafts is the huge question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why 11 teams passed on Tyrese Haliburton in the 2020 NBA Draft before Kings picked Pacers star | Sporting News

If the Spurs could pull off a couple GNob Parker Kwa Leonard Halibuton drafts......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did the Pacers have some great insight in choosing Haliburton? Or just luck out?

They lucked out. Halliburton was widely considered a top-5 prospect entering the 2020 NBA Draft. He was the best player still on the board by pick #6. How he fell into their laps at #12 is beyond me. I know I was pissed when the Spurs took Vassell over him and posted my disdain in the 2020 Draft thread. Guess teams overthought it and assumed his unorthodox jump-shot and style of play wouldn't translate. Idk. But scrubs like Killian Hayes and Isaac Okoro going over him is criminal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So basically everything I assumed and then some. But people swore that a 5 time champion coach was just clueless. Teach fundamentals, be patient with Wemby, and then develop a plan and let him flourish. Don't build the team around him until you know what you need and don't need. Look sometimes I think Pop can be an asshole (while I'll also always add he was very gracious when I met him in person,) but he knows what he is doing when it comes to basketball and seems less stubborn and set in his ways when it comes to coaching than ever before. Personally it's nice to hear the plan from the horse's mouth though.

And honestly, it's the right way to go about it. Looks if Wemby wants out one day then it is what it is. Dallas went out and got Luka Porzingis/Kyrie/etc. and it has not worked out for them. If they don't win in the next year or two I would think Luka is going to be on his way out the door. I think he'd trade his supporting cast for OKC any day of the week and the fans would too.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop seems to think there is all this time in the world to build around Victor when star players move and get moved all the time in the nba

Everyone is patient...until they are not...

This also gives the impression that Pop won't step away from coaching any time soon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop seems to think there is all this time in the world to build around Victor when star players move and get moved all the time in the nba

Everyone is patient...until they are not...

This also gives the impression that Pop won't step away from coaching any time soon
    And what moves do you think the Spurs should have made that will make them an instant contender in the next year or two?

I'll go ahead and throw out the Samanic and Primo picks as obvious wastes, but if it weren't for those we also probably wouldn't have Wemby right now.

Everyone likes to complain...until they are asked to offer solutions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fascinating that Pop is open, cordial and thorough in his answers here.

Also, great info for us to know. There is a plan. Pop intends to carry it out. Interesting that he cites OKC and that the Spurs are mirroring that process exactly. It takes as long as it takes.

I just hope Manu is tired of his kids when Pop's contract ends. He might be the right guy to lead the Spurs back to glory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Pacers didn’t draft him, Sacramento did. He was there for a year and a half.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thx Bruno

I guess I'm gonna have to learn to appreciate Vassell then...

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to say this...Tim Duncan won a le in his second year, Pop.
    Just need to get another David Robinson in this draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i have no problem with vassell being his pet player if that is the case

seemed like it was branham for a while there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is nice to see this level of transparency and openness from our team. A shame this franchise can’t be the same way with its own fans via the local media, only with a foreign outlet in another language.

I appreciate the clarity provided here to reset expectations, but what low expectations they are. This interview will become the new Sniffer Rosetta Stone. When we’re in the lottery for another three years, the Sniff Crew can all just point back to this and tell us how “we don’t get it, Pop is TEACHING FUNDEMENTALS!”

This is just some old man, who has earned unprecedented cache with his franchise, abusing that cache to go on some personal fantasy developmental exercise. Instead of teaching Karate, Pop Miyagi gets to teach the kids how to paint a fence, how to wax on, wax off. Maybe in Year 7, the players will finally know how to put Johnny in a body bag, but it may just turn out you’ve paid $100MM to a coach just so you can be a perennial basement dweller.

We’ll see. Maybe Pop’s way is just some next level stroke of genius. The problem is that there are no expectations, no time boundaries, no deliverables. It’s just some gemba walk whereby if success is achieved, then yes that was the plan. If we haven’t gotten there yet, then we just have gotten here yet… keep going. You just aren’t sure if you are making progress to the destination or just walking in circles in the desert.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Pacers didn’t draft him, Sacramento did. He was there for a year and a half.
    Hard to believe the franchise that picked Stauskas and Jimmer with top 10 picks could make such a great move there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why doesn't pop answer like this in america???

they said this was their gameplan from draft day. Brian, RC, Pop said the that's in this interview months ago

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s dug in, I don’t think this is ending nicely. I give him one more year. OG Pop would have fired himself by now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is nice to see this level of transparency and openness from our team. A shame this franchise can’t be the same way with its own fans via the local media, only with a foreign outlet in another language.

I appreciate the clarity provided here to reset expectations, but what low expectations they are. This interview will become the new Sniffer Rosetta Stone. When we’re in the lottery for another three years, the Sniff Crew can all just point back to this and tell us how “we don’t get it, Pop is TEACHING FUNDEMENTALS!”

This is just some old man, who has earned unprecedented cache with his franchise, abusing that cache to go on some personal fantasy developmental exercise. Instead of teaching Karate, Pop Miyagi gets to teach the kids how to paint a fence, how to wax on, wax off. Maybe in Year 7, the players will finally know how to put Johnny in a body bag, but it may just turn out you’ve paid $100MM to a coach just so you can be a perennial basement dweller.

We’ll see. Maybe Pop’s way is just some next level stroke of genius. The problem is that there are no expectations, no time boundaries, no deliverables. It’s just some gemba walk whereby if success is achieved, then yes that was the plan. If we haven’t gotten there yet, then we just have gotten here yet… keep going. You just aren’t sure if you are making progress to the destination or just walking in circles in the desert.
    I am with you on the need to accelerate the process and getting more help for Wemby, but I dont agree with your take that Pop has gone senile (not in so many words). There is a sense in Pop saying there is a distinction between what he did as coach during the contention years and now. I appreciate that part when he says he is teaching fundamentals of the "collective" game to kids who have barely played professionally even as he understands that the Spurs have an other-worldly world beater in their grasp in Wemby. I dont think Pop is saying that the Spurs are going to suck for 6-7 years before they are in contention. He seems to suggest that it takes years to *win* a championship a la Jordan/ Jokic did from scratch. Which doesn't mean that the Spurs will take long for "contention" itself.

What I have a problem with Pop's interview is his belief that Brian Wright will provide the talent sui generis via drafting for the project to succeed. That I am not so sure based on Wright's record so far. He is clearly a good evaluator of medium/average talent in terms of picking well in the late 1st round or later, but except for Wemby, his early draft picks have been a flop or mediocre, more or less.

Add to the fact that adding more inexperienced talent doesn't necessarily push you towards contention but heartburn due to continuous losses, the Pop project going the OKC way, therefore looks a bit suspect. The Spurs must combine patience with due diligence in free agency and in converting some of the assets they have. It isn't exactly impatience. He confuses the need for due diligence to be impatience and has some ad hominem references for folks who seek that. Which is problematic, for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am with you on the need to accelerate the process and getting more help for Wemby, but I dont agree with your take that Pop has gone senile (not in so many words). There is a sense in Pop saying there is a distinction between what he did as coach during the contention years and now. I appreciate that part when he says he is teaching fundamentals of the "collective" game to kids who have barely played professionally even as he understands that the Spurs have an other-worldly world beater in their grasp in Wemby. I dont think Pop is saying that the Spurs are going to suck for 6-7 years before they are in contention. He seems to suggest that it takes years to *win* a championship a la Jordan/ Jokic did from scratch. Which doesn't mean that the Spurs will take long for "contention" itself.

What I have a problem with Pop's interview is his belief that Brian Wright will provide the talent sui generis via drafting for the project to succeed. That I am not so sure based on Wright's record so far. He is clearly a good evaluator of medium/average talent in terms of picking well in the late 1st round or later, but except for Wemby, his early draft picks have been a flop or mediocre, more or less.

Add to the fact that adding more inexperienced talent doesn't necessarily push you towards contention but heartburn due to continuous losses, the Pop project going the OKC way, therefore looks a bit suspect. The Spurs must combine patience with due diligence in free agency and in converting some of the assets they have. It isn't exactly impatience. He confuses the need for due diligence to be impatience and has some ad hominem references for folks who seek that. Which is problematic, for me.
    So what? It’s what they are doing, whether you approve or not. He’s probably referencing the BAMA contingent here on ST directly. lol

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one expects the Spurs to win the Championship this year or win every game. What I'd like to see is some semblance of effort to coach this team to win games they should win.

Winning builds character. You can teach all the fundamentals you want but there's no subs ute for confidence in pressure situations.

A bad season this year isn't the end of the world, but if all of these guys you're focused on "teaching the fundamentals" get used to being a lottery team for 3-4 years, how can you expect them to ever to rise to the occasion when they need a win to secure a Playoff appearance, or a series win?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with Pop is he massively overrates himself

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure I get some of ur reactions tbh...

1st Pop has already answred those questions, almost words for words, maybe some of u should check his PRE game press conferences rather than his post games where he's just thinking about his coming dinner.

2nd you're vastly overrating french medias, they're some of the worst in europe, France isn't a sport country and most of them live thanks to clickbaits. Now it's not football (soccer)'s level of clickbait but the jounalists that were sent to SA are young without much experience. Local SA journalists are way more competent, it's not even close.

If you understood french and some of the questions asked post game to Pop, you'd not only laugh ur ass off but also take Pop's side with his condescending answers.

The only new thing that we all suspected anyways is his man crush on Vassell

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There should be a distinction between not rushing, and needlessly doubling down or prolonging bad decisions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one expects the Spurs to win the Championship this year or win every game. What I'd like to see is some semblance of effort to coach this team to win games they should win.

Winning builds character. You can teach all the fundamentals you want but there's no subs ute for confidence in pressure situations.

A bad season this year isn't the end of the world, but if all of these guys you're focused on "teaching the fundamentals" get used to being a lottery team for 3-4 years, how can you expect them to ever to rise to the occasion when they need a win to secure a Playoff appearance, or a series win?
    Winning the games they’re “supposed to” drops their pick from 1-5 to 10-12. Jesus God, people, it’s like you just fell of the turnip truck. If you’re going to be bad, go ahead and be REALLY bad. It’s been that way for quite a while.

Thread Information