Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another 2nd? Are we cornering the market on 2nd rounders ?
    At least McNuggets was a professional about the situation this year. Morris is a highly paid professional jerkwad. Why bother even sending him plane fare, he's getting waived. Spoiler alert Morris, you won't even get a uniform or a number, Jerkwad.
    It's a good move, look at how many teams landed nice role players for a 2nd rounder or 2, all those picks will be handy when the Spurs are contending.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes 18 second round picks including our own until 2030.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a good move, look at how many teams landed nice role players for a 2nd rounder or 2, all those picks will be handy when the Spurs are contending.
    In addition the Spurs can just use those picks as they come up and perhaps one of them will yield a decent rotation player. Tre Jones was picked #41, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In addition the Spurs can just use those picks as they come up and perhaps one of them will yield a decent rotation player. Tre Jones was picked #41, for example.
    Maybe a few, but likely most are used as currency, which is fine. Honestly if you do the math, it's likely the return from a 2nd rounder is much higher when traded as opposed to when used.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mcnuggets

Believe.
    Post Count
    Rumor is he is being brought on to mentor Wemby!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are ac ulating so many second rounders Silver is going to rethink having the second round have it's own day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes 18 second round picks including our own until 2030.
    That’s what you call leverage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol Morris. From legit contributor on Boston/Clippers to basically being trade fodder. Couldn’t have happened to a bigger POS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Brian Wright could do is have the Jokic brothers come here and when Morris goes to meet the front office folks, have them cut him.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe a few, but likely most are used as currency, which is fine. Honestly if you do the math, it's likely the return from a 2nd rounder is much higher when traded as opposed to when used.
    I don't doubt that you're right. But the Spurs have so many second rounders that it probably isn't possible to trade all of them for players.

Looking through the Spurs' draft history I found something surprising: the last time the Spurs had a pick in the #31-39 range and actually kept it was #37 DeJuan Blair in 2009. They traded the #33 pick last year and the #38 pick in 2022.

Their picks in the #55-60 range never really panned out, unsurprisingly. The ones in the 40s were:

• #44 Cissoko in 2023; jury is still out
    • #41 Wieskamp in 2021, a bust
    • #41 Tre Jones in 2020, great value
    • #49 Weatherspoon in 2019, basically a bust
    • #49 Metu in 2018, didn't play well for the Spurs but is a rotation player for a playoff team now

Not a bad track record for picks in that range. The Spurs also historically draft really well at the end of the first round so it would stand to reason they would have a good chance of getting a rotation player in the early 30s, but the last two times the Spurs got to pick in the 30s they traded the picks for future 2nds.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Morris is a bad contract, washed, and or zero use to us as a SF?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the team gets good again in a few years, those second round picks could be super helpful in trading for positive role players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^Good post SeventyNiner. I do think Cissoko will work out which translates to 60% of those picks being longer-term NBA players, which is pretty great at that part of the draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m going to add Doug seems like a great guy but I winced almost constantly watching him clank 3s lately. Next on the chopping block: Collins, but stuck with until at least April.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Figured he'd be the only one of the three expiring (virtual, in one case) veterans moved.

Good work to at least get something given that similar types around the league either weren't traded or are headed to the buyout market.

As bad as he's been, it also makes sense to clear the path for Branham and audition him for the rest of the off season before potentially burying him for good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the team gets good again in a few years, those second round picks could be super helpful in trading for positive role players.
    yeah especially throughout wembys time here i'd be collecting as many as possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't doubt that you're right. But the Spurs have so many second rounders that it probably isn't possible to trade all of them for players.

Looking through the Spurs' draft history I found something surprising: the last time the Spurs had a pick in the #31-39 range and actually kept it was #37 DeJuan Blair in 2009. They traded the #33 pick last year and the #38 pick in 2022.

Their picks in the #55-60 range never really panned out, unsurprisingly. The ones in the 40s were:

• #44 Cissoko in 2023; jury is still out
    • #41 Wieskamp in 2021, a bust
    • #41 Tre Jones in 2020, great value
    • #49 Weatherspoon in 2019, basically a bust
    • #49 Metu in 2018, didn't play well for the Spurs but is a rotation player for a playoff team now

Not a bad track record for picks in that range. The Spurs also historically draft really well at the end of the first round so it would stand to reason they would have a good chance of getting a rotation player in the early 30s, but the last two times the Spurs got to pick in the 30s they traded the picks for future 2nds.
    I'm still completely puzzled about what happened last year. They traded a nicer 2RP only to use the lesser 2RP. Did they expect a few players to be there and picked the best one (Sidy)? Did they miss on players they had ranked higher? Just really strange and we'll never know given how tight-lipped they are.

Having so many SRPs is better than having fewer, obviously. We can see how just two or three SRPs can get you an extra piece, although the trade market should change dramatically as the wad of contenders who have traded away their draft futures are replaced by new challengers and the pick landscape evens out generally.

I expect the Spurs can keep flipping SRPs for future SRPs as they don't use them, which can be really, really handy.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^Good post SeventyNiner. I do think Cissoko will work out which translates to 60% of those picks being longer-term NBA players, which is pretty great at that part of the draft.
    I hope he does well for us, Cissokoo that is, but I just checked his shooting stats and he's shooting 13% from three. Oy vey.

Having said that, I'd like to see him get minutes once the tanking season kicks in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weatherspoon and weiskamp both had teams after spurs though lil to no impact. Both in gleague
    Last edited by ismael-robert; 02-08-2024 at 04:29 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still completely puzzled about what happened last year. They traded a nicer 2RP only to use the lesser 2RP. Did they expect a few players to be there and picked the best one (Sidy)? Did they miss on players they had ranked higher? Just really strange and we'll never know given how tight-lipped they are.

Having so many SRPs is better than having fewer, obviously. We can see how just two or three SRPs can get you an extra piece, although the trade market should change dramatically as the wad of contenders who have traded away their draft futures are replaced by new challengers and the pick landscape evens out generally.

I expect the Spurs can keep flipping SRPs for future SRPs as they don't use them, which can be really, really handy.
    I think there is all sorts of chicanery in the second round with guaranteed promises, buy outs, and other tools for players to try to choose where they go. The Rupert guy that folks here had a rager for, for example, had some arrangement with Portland. I believe Sidy forced his way here too leveraging his buyout. It will be interesting to unpack all that stuff now that they have a SECOND draft night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This may have been a favor to McDermott. Otherwise, it makes little sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What doesn't make sense about it? They got a perhaps high 2nd round pick for an expiring contract that they had little use for for the rest of the season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically these are greasers to get off bad deals, right? For every Tre there are 7 Withersoons.

So if Collins busts next year, Spurs can now send 8 SRPs to get off his money!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless they want to finally sign Dom to a regular deal (which they should!)

Thread Information