Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    glad doug is finally gone. he did well enough, but he's a waste of time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow will be signed to a contract next.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait...wasn't this the guy that hosed the spurs? This is gonna be fun lol
    Can see Pop sending his as to Austin lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only just thing to do is to waive him only after the deadline has passed for waived players to join playoff teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What doesn't make sense about it? They got a perhaps high 2nd round pick for an expiring contract that they had little use for for the rest of the season.
    The Spurs had a high 2d round pick last year (the third highest possible, #33) and didn't even bother to use it.

Nothing wrong with this but I don't think they do it unless they wanted to do a loyal vet a favor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cia pop overpaying doug on a 3/45 deal because he knew 2.5 years later he'd be able to squeeze out a 2029 second round pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs had a high 2d round pick last year (the third highest possible, #33) and didn't even bother to use it.

Nothing wrong with this but I don't think they do it unless they wanted to do a loyal vet a favor.
    I wanted them to actually draft somebody at that spot last year but they traded it for future 2nds. They didn't just not use it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cia pop overpaying doug on a 3/45 deal because he knew 2.5 years later he'd be able to squeeze out a 2029 second round pick
    Doug was brought in because the old man needed to share his white guilt with somebody else tbh. Collins identifies as black so that wasn't gonna cut it.

Kevin Huerter better start learning Spanish because that ginger is gonna be a Spur soon tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After they waive Morris, the youngest team in the league will be even younger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't doubt that you're right. But the Spurs have so many second rounders that it probably isn't possible to trade all of them for players.

Looking through the Spurs' draft history I found something surprising: the last time the Spurs had a pick in the #31-39 range and actually kept it was #37 DeJuan Blair in 2009. They traded the #33 pick last year and the #38 pick in 2022.

Their picks in the #55-60 range never really panned out, unsurprisingly. The ones in the 40s were:

• #44 Cissoko in 2023; jury is still out
    • #41 Wieskamp in 2021, a bust
    • #41 Tre Jones in 2020, great value
    • #49 Weatherspoon in 2019, basically a bust
    • #49 Metu in 2018, didn't play well for the Spurs but is a rotation player for a playoff team now

Not a bad track record for picks in that range. The Spurs also historically draft really well at the end of the first round so it would stand to reason they would have a good chance of getting a rotation player in the early 30s, but the last two times the Spurs got to pick in the 30s they traded the picks for future 2nds.
    im sure they'll trade/consolidate most of these, but they'll still end up making quite a few selections. for the most part, imo they gotta use the 2nd rounders to keep churning 2-way players. no more cissokos. take 3 guys in the second round, sign each to 2-ways and have them audition for a year. if one looks really solid, sign him to a cheap, non guaranteed deal a la bassey, champagnie. if not, he gets the axe and you draft more 2-way players in the second round of the following draft, etc

there will be guys we give up on early that become decent nba players. but its hard to be patient when you're going to be drafting so many guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only just thing to do is to waive him only after the deadline has passed for waived players to join playoff teams.
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted them to actually draft somebody at that spot last year but they traded it for future 2nds. They didn't just not use it.
    Trading the 33rd pick in the draft for a future 2d (which on average would be #45 and could be as low as #60) is tantamount to just not using it -- some might argue that having the 33rd pick is more valuable than having the last 1st round pick (#30) for reasons that we all know. I was disappointed (almost shocked) that they didn't use it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading the 33rd pick in the draft for a future 2d (which on average would be #45 and could be as low as #60) is tantamount to just not using it -- some might argue that having the 33rd pick is more valuable than having the last 1st round pick (#30) for reasons that we all know. I was disappointed (almost shocked) that they didn't use it.
    You have to balance picks vs roster spots; we will have to start being very creative here in the future. A lot of picks will be deferred or used in trades such as that one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a good but a quite meaningless trade. The pick is basically as good as a second round pick could be for Spurs: Spurs don't have that much picks in 2029 and Clippers could be quite bad at that time.

Serious business for Spurs FO will start this summer with the draft and hopefully more.

I'm curious so see what Spurs will do with the available roster spot. Giving a full-time contract to Barlow seems to be the most logical choice if they can find an agreement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop isn't the GM.

The team needed to make a salary cap floor in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    making the floor is not an argument. it can be used to justify literally any contract every given.

might as well say "we had to fill the required amount of roster spots"

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This should be enough tbh
    😂😂

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    get morris on a plane and drop him off in russia

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    making the floor is not an argument. it can be used to justify literally any contract every given.

might as well say "we had to fill the required amount of roster spots"
    That's literally the case.

And giving a player a certain contract can be useful for making trades later. There's a certain salary range for vets anyway.

People on this board and moan about the weirdest .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs lose their only good 3 point shooter but hopefully they convert Barlow to a full contract so we don't have to endure as much Collins ting himself all over the court.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Details on the pick
    "back to the Spurs"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This should be enough tbh
    I hold a hard grudge. I need more.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So long to our biggest free agent signing since Rudy Gay in 2017.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dang Marcus Morris is making $17MM this season.

Indy is also sending us cash in this deal. My guess is it's the pro-rated delta between Morris and Doug's deals that the Spurs are incrementally absorbing on the income statement in a buy-out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And there goes the only 40% 3PT shooter on the roster.

A necessary sacrifice but still pouring one out because with Brian's ap ude for signing/drafting outside scorers it may be some time before we see another.

Thread Information