Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One bright spot this season besides Wemby of course is the substantial improvement of Blake Wesley who didn't even look like an NBA player coming to the season.

His defensive focus is great to see

He even seems to my eyes to be finishing better and not passing up every opportunity to finish like earlier.

And his playmaking is standing out to. He seems like a Zollins whisperer and is able to get him the ball in the spots he seems to like

It's now a situation where I'm tiring of seeing so much Tre and want to see more Blake.

He's not perfect at all and the progress is slow, but could there be a point this season where he deserves to start and get the most minutes at point guard? Now that doesn't mean Pop would start him because Pop, but could he be credibly deserving to get the starting job?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would hope not at all, but not as a knock on Blake. The lineups with Tre and Wemby have been very good - and I want to continue to foster and improve upon that, not take a step backward to experiment with Blake as the starter.

I think letting Blake run the second unit is great, and we should continue to foster his development that way, maybe even extend his playing time a little bit with that unit and a little bit of run with the first unit. But let’s not sacrifice the development of the first unit just to further develop Blake Wesley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake Wesley = mid 2000s Lindsey Hunter. Guy who can come off the bench, shut opposing PGs and maybe a few SGs down. NOT the future, no knock on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    about as far as the Spurs are from the playoffs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even in the same stratosphere... Tre is one of the best passers and floor generals in the NBA and a great finisher for his size... Wesley is good at neither

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even in the same stratosphere... Tre is one of the best passers and floor generals in the NBA and a great finisher for his size... Wesley is good at neither
    Tre is in his 4th year. Wesly just on his 2nd year. Give him time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley will be cut this summer. Killian Hayes is a better defender and passer and more mature at the old age of 22. Branham may not be long for the team either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley will be cut this summer. Killian Hayes is a better defender and passer and more mature at the old age of 22. Branham may not be long for the team either.
    I’d be just fine with both those things happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    about as far as the Spurs are from the playoffs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m liking old Wesley and his progression now��

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not so sure Wesley is even that good of a defender...it just stands out that he isn't as bad as the other sieves we have on this team. In the long run I just don't think their is a real place for him. Tre is an actual backup point guard, and once we either draft, sign, or trade for a starting point guard, I don't see how Wesley stays on the floor.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre looks like a staple of the roster moving forward unless he demands to start. Wes could be buried again as soon as next draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not close but his progress is nice.

his defense looks better than it is now but the potential there is pretty outrageous tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KH is worse than both of them. He was the worst player on a team that included James Wiseman.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe mirror Tre's minutes to VW, and let Blake get the rest of the time. That would still be a big jump. I'm ok with that. I ran some numbers and it turns out the Spurs aren't winning a le this year. So more Blake, sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley is no where near as good as Tre right now. Blake has made good progress, but is still very much a work in progress. He at least looks like an NBA player currently and is playing some solid defense. Blake has a much higher ceiling than Tre, but he's no where near overtaking Tre just yet, and Tre Jones isn't a starting caliber pg. I hope that Blake continues his improvement and I hope that he becomes a solid rotation player in the NBA. That would be a success for him. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

There's zero reason to start him until he plays extremely well with the 2nd unit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley is no where near as good as Tre right now. Blake has made good progress, but is still very much a work in progress. He at least looks like an NBA player currently and is playing some solid defense. Blake has a much higher ceiling than Tre, but he's no where near overtaking Tre just yet, and Tre Jones isn't a starting caliber pg. I hope that Blake continues his improvement and I hope that he becomes a solid rotation player in the NBA. That would be a success for him. Anything beyond that would be gravy.
    There's zero reason to start him until he plays extremely well with the 2nd unit.
    +1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KH is worse than both of them. He was the worst player on a team that included James Wiseman.
    I still think you take a cheap 30 game look; if he doesn’t excite you nothing lost

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not particularly close. But he is definitely improving at an impressive rate. Maybe next season or the season after if he keeps improving his handle and touch at the rim

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't he tear his ACL and mess up his MCL awhile back? Probably why he sucks now. Damaged goods tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m liking old Wesley and his progression now��
    you like everybody. Kinda like the neighborhood hoe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't he tear his ACL and mess up his MCL awhile back? Probably why he sucks now. Damaged goods tbh
    MCL only, and he was back on the court in 5-6 weeks, no surgery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see that Wesley has improved - and that's great, but he's still at the level of a 13th, 14th , 15th player on the roster of a pretty bad team. Jones has absolutely nothing to worry about. If Wesley got waived tomorrow, it wouldn't phase me one bit. There are players just as good playing in the G league right now. There are players just as good as Wesley that were waived yesterday as well. So for for all those Wesley fans out there that say he has a bright future with the spurs, I wouldn't hold my breath. We have one or two first round picks and 3 possible 2nd round picks in the next draft, one of who could easily take his place, not to mention that we have a crapload of future 2nd rounders which we could use to improve our back end of the roster. Like I said, he's improved a bit, but is it enough, time will tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One bright spot this season besides Wemby of course is the substantial improvement of Blake Wesley who didn't even look like an NBA player coming to the season.

His defensive focus is great to see

He even seems to my eyes to be finishing better and not passing up every opportunity to finish like earlier.

And his playmaking is standing out to. He seems like a Zollins whisperer and is able to get him the ball in the spots he seems to like

It's now a situation where I'm tiring of seeing so much Tre and want to see more Blake.

He's not perfect at all and the progress is slow, but could there be a point this season where he deserves to start and get the most minutes at point guard? Now that doesn't mean Pop would start him because Pop, but could he be credibly deserving to get the starting job?
    I’m not sure if this was a typo. but to go from arguably one of the worst players in the NBA to a rotation worthy one in a year is extremely fast progress.
    I look forward to when Blake enters the game too as there is a potential there to be a formidable force if his game keeps improving like it has.
    Nobody on this team has the ability to beat their initial defender to spots off the dribble quite like Blake.
    Loved that we saw a floater from him against Orlando.

Believe.
    Post Count
    I have yet to see him make a layup so maybe when he accomplishes that we can think about it.

Thread Information