Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol the typical posters “I don’t want Trae because his teammates didn’t vote for him but I was all in on a predator who actually sabotaged the spurs with his ty actions.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Young's case the problem isn't his contract, but the amount of assets it'd take to get him, which would be A LOT.
    Agree 100% with this. There seems to be two camps, one that doesn't want Trae at any price, and those who think we should get him at all costs.

I'm in the middle. I'd be happy to have him for the right price, but not giving up the farm for him. I'd probably go as big as TOR, SA '25, '26 Swap back to them, ATL '27, Keldon. But they also have to take Collins. (I probably try to keep Keldon out of it if I can).

I doubt that is enough to get it done, but it's as far as I'm willing to go. Trae would be fun and I think a definitely a positive addition to the team, but not good enough to want to go balls out for. If it were Maxey or Halliburton... now I'm ready to back up the truck. But not for Trae. I'd rather have DJM back at a fraction of what we got for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People saying Trae doesn’t win games but he made it to the ECF with John Collins as his #2. You’re telling me having a generational talent like Wemby won’t fix the doubts you may have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure why people say the Spurs are overpaying Keldon tbh. Even with his faults he's still on a bargain contract.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree 100% with this. There seems to be two camps, one that doesn't want Trae at any price, and those who think we should get him at all costs.

I'm in the middle. I'd be happy to have him for the right price, but not giving up the farm for him. I'd probably go as big as TOR, SA '25, '26 Swap back to them, ATL '27, Keldon. But they also have to take Collins. (I probably try to keep Keldon out of it if I can).

I doubt that is enough to get it done, but it's as far as I'm willing to go. Trae would be fun and I think a definitely a positive addition to the team, but not good enough to want to go balls out for. If it were Maxey or Halliburton... now I'm ready to back up the truck. But not for Trae. I'd rather have DJM back at a fraction of what we got for him.
    That's too high a price for me. Remove either Keldon or the Toronto pick. Spurs don't need to bid against themselves here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's too high a price for me. Remove either Keldon or the Toronto pick. Spurs don't need to bid against themselves here.
    I may very well be wrong, but I think folks are underestimating what landing someone like Trae would really cost. Who knows what is real, but if teams are offering 4 FRPs for Bridges... I'd say getting Trae will be expensive. I doubt we ever actually find out though. I don't think Trae is getting moved.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who thinks a Young/Wemby pairing wouldn't work is re ed. likewise anyone who thinks Wemby will be reduced to a lob threat because of Young is a re .

Trae Young is not the idea PG but he is an elite PG in the league and scoffing the notion of trading for him is pretty dumb. If all SA has to give up are Hawks own picks/swaps returned to them and someone like Keldon + filler, i think you do that deal all day. i'd rather have a certainty that we will have an elite PG next to Wemby versus hoping we find one in the draft. Young has also had some pretty dominant playoff performances already. again, he is not my ideal PG, and he has flaws (like any other player does), but the fact that you have sniffers on this board scoffing the notion of pairing him with Wemby just speaks to how dumb some posters here are. i'm not saying break the bank for him, but if the price is right, and he wants to be here, pull the trigger. any BS about his teammates not liking him or whatever are from the same random sauces that the sniffers are quick to discredit when they talk about Spurs related rumors
    Sorry man, it is a forum and we can all have different opinion. Calling people dumb is not going to create good discussions.

for me, Young is a bad shooter, an awful defender and he is going to make 43 millions +15% trade kicker so 49 millions. That’s a lot of money and that pretty much guarantee that you won’t be able to trade for another good player so you will rely on draft but you’ll send a lot of your picks.

but everything has a price. Let’s say he declines his trade kicker and the Hawks accept their 2026 swap and 2027 FRP plus chicago FRP, then I’ll probably go for it as you keep a lot of FRP to add talent or go for a trade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry man, it is a forum and we can all have different opinion. Calling people dumb is not going to create good discussions.

for me, Young is a bad shooter, an awful defender and he is going to make 43 millions +15% trade kicker so 49 millions. That’s a lot of money and that pretty much guarantee that you won’t be able to trade for another good player so you will rely on draft but you’ll send a lot of your picks.

but everything has a price. Let’s say he declines his trade kicker and the Hawks accept their 2026 swap and 2027 FRP plus chicago FRP, then I’ll probably go for it as you keep a lot of FRP to add talent or go for a trade.
    Trade kicker is a i likely non issue, it can't take a player above their max and he's already on a SuperMax. Cap won't jump enough for it to activate

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

It's fine to say you think he is a bad defender, makes too much money, etc. that's not the same as thinking the pairing wouldn't be effective or that having Young would reduce Wemby to being a lob threat only. he also is not a "bad" shooter. he is definitely streaky and he's not curry obviously (no one is) but he's had seasons shooting 38% on high volume as the absolute focal point of his teams offense. What do you think he would be able to do with someone like Wemby taking attention off of him? not to mention he has averaged 9+ assists basically his entire career and he is a master of throwing lobs. his advanced numbers are solid, he grades out as an elite offensive player

Like i said in my original post - he is not the ideal PG, but to act like he and Wemby wouldnt make for a special pairing on offense is asinine. Yes he sucks on defense but with the right players around him that can be minimized, especially with Wemby in the paint. all i'm saying is if he is available for a decent price (meaning none of our own picks or Wemby/Vassell/maybe Sochan), you make the deal if he wants to be here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me, it's an absolute no-brainer. The city wants a new arena, the owners are expecting a massive influx of cash for the next decade+, and Trae+Wemby would pretty much single-handedly accomplish both. It'd be the "arena Wemby built." Even if we kept losing, the games would be much more exciting, no doubt. I am probably incorrect but I worry a bit about the Spurs leaving San Antonio. I'd be so pissed off if it happened, and Trae pretty much guarantees that doesn't happen. Especially if he buys in, builds some chemistry for once, and decides to stay here. I do also feel a move like this would attract more free agents than Wemby alone. Right now, the Spurs seem very set in their ways in building through the draft and the city has never been a coveted destination. SA lucked out with last generation's draft choices, honestly. They were also ahead of the game on foreigners. I'm not sure we get that lucky or have the same advantage during this re-build, and if not, the best way to attract free agents is a guy like Trae (and Wemby of course, when he's got more experience) who you KNOW will make your life easier. If we're also winning, all the better, of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it was going to happen, it was always at the draft or before training camp.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may very well be wrong, but I think folks are underestimating what landing someone like Trae would really cost. Who knows what is real, but if teams are offering 4 FRPs for Bridges... I'd say getting Trae will be expensive. I doubt we ever actually find out though. I don't think Trae is getting moved.
    I'd rather have Bridges than Trae and it makes sense a two way player like Bridges would have a higher trade value

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those were probably ty protected picks though. And the Spurs are in a unique position to trade with Atlanta because we own their picks. If they have to trade Young and bottom out, their own picks would be the highest value commodity they could hope to get in return

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who thinks a Young/Wemby pairing wouldn't work is re ed. likewise anyone who thinks Wemby will be reduced to a lob threat because of Young is a re .

Trae Young is not the idea PG but he is an elite PG in the league and scoffing the notion of trading for him is pretty dumb. If all SA has to give up are Hawks own picks/swaps returned to them and someone like Keldon + filler, i think you do that deal all day. i'd rather have a certainty that we will have an elite PG next to Wemby versus hoping we find one in the draft. Young has also had some pretty dominant playoff performances already. again, he is not my ideal PG, and he has flaws (like any other player does), but the fact that you have sniffers on this board scoffing the notion of pairing him with Wemby just speaks to how dumb some posters here are. i'm not saying break the bank for him, but if the price is right, and he wants to be here, pull the trigger. any BS about his teammates not liking him or whatever are from the same random sauces that the sniffers are quick to discredit when they talk about Spurs related rumors
    So if we do not agree we are stupid.
    Because he has had a couple of good playoff games.
    He is not perfect but if you do not think it will work you are stupid.

How can anyone possibly argue this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being a declining contract doesn't provide justification for an overpay. And yes, right now it's looking like an overpay. He'll be making more next year than DJM, JJJ, Jalen Brunson, and Mikal Bridges, for example. There is still time for his contract to prove a bargain, but so far this season it's looking iffy... unless you also think someone like Jordan Poole's contract is a steal.

A team has to pay players. It doesn't have to overpay ty ones. That's how teams end up with things like... I don't know, a .192 winning percentage.

And no, a contract like Collins isn't exactly what you want if you want to acquire a star. There is no requirement that you have overpaid, undersized backup centers who can't shoot or defend include in trades for stars. Exactly zero teams have ever looked at what Zach Collins has currently is and said "yeah, that's the perfect piece that makes this entire deal make sense". Looking back at the last few big trades... nope, none of them included a ty overpaid Zach Collins-like negative asset. Maybe Bertans being passed around like a used up French to facilitate blockbuster moves for Gordon Hayward cons utes acquiring a star.

You're right, this ain't difficult, which makes it all that more impressive that you continually vomit all of this nonsense all over yourself.
    I mean Vassel isn't really an overpay but an appropriate contract. You named some guys who are serious underpays which is why it looks like more. But given the way he's playing there's no real reaso nto believe Devin is an overpay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's fine to say you think he is a bad defender, makes too much money, etc. that's not the same as thinking the pairing wouldn't be effective or that having Young would reduce Wemby to being a lob threat only. he also is not a "bad" shooter. he is definitely streaky and he's not curry obviously (no one is) but he's had seasons shooting 38% on high volume as the absolute focal point of his teams offense. What do you think he would be able to do with someone like Wemby taking attention off of him? not to mention he has averaged 9+ assists basically his entire career and he is a master of throwing lobs. his advanced numbers are solid, he grades out as an elite offensive player

Like i said in my original post - he is not the ideal PG, but to act like he and Wemby wouldnt make for a special pairing on offense is asinine. Yes he sucks on defense but with the right players around him that can be minimized, especially with Wemby in the paint. all i'm saying is if he is available for a decent price (meaning none of our own picks or Wemby/Vassell/maybe Sochan), you make the deal if he wants to be here.
    So by your own report he is a streaky shooter to go on top of questionable defense and character. Foolproof obviously.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae Young signed a 5 year / $215,159,700 contract, no ing way, not worth it... lets get a good pick and keep building
    WTF?? 1/4 BILLION dollars for 5 years? For Trae Young? This league has gone all they way bat crazy...

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fully agree, Trae is an offense in and of himself. He will allow Wemby to get his legs under him offensively without the team ting its pants. Trae sucks at defense? Oh well at least you got possible greatest defender of all time behind him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's laughable about the "He doesn't play defense" crowd is that outside of Wemby, no one on this team plays defense particularly well.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is not really a perfect pairing. A combo ( pull up or downhill ) or secondary ball handling wing is the perfect pairing for Wemby. A star is a star i guess but if I am giving up 3 golden tickets, i want a perfect fit on the court and locker room ( especially if we are not winning yet ).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's not a perfect player and by god we need a perfect player, but not for a high asking price and must have a reasonable contract

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 2 years Trae can opt out and sign a 5 year / 320 million contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think what he’s saying is that we should just drop all the lottery picks from the roster except Wemby. Thank goodness Spurs don’t get their GMs from Spurstalk.
    Not saying they should but being lottey pick is not a factor as far as keeping a player or not... there's two who just got cut this past deadline and history shows many are out of the NBA before 5 years.

You should never fall in love too much with your picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People saying Trae doesn’t win games but he made it to the ECF with John Collins as his #2. You’re telling me having a generational talent like Wemby won’t fix the doubts you may have.
    Fool's gold. Lakers made it to the WCF last year and they sucked ass, being dismantled but the Nuggets. And people were still figuring out Trae who was just overachieving that year, reason why you should always consider career record. Ever since, Atlanta regressed, as Trae stats did in the play offs, on offense and defense.

Atlanta is 10 th in the East now, at 23-29 fighting for a play in spot, catching a breath by beating Embiid-less PHI last night... you don't like Devin or Keldon freezing Wemby, watch Trae do his thing...

I mean Trae for cheap? I don't know, but there's certainly some team who will throw the farm at ATL for him and I sure don't want spurs to go all in for him then become the new Dallas only to see Wemby leave in 3 years.

Thread Information