Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I certainly hope we do. I’m just saying I don’t have faith we will. This FO hasn’t done much in the way of team building to inspire confidence in them. They’ve done a good job selling assets and sinking to the bottom… but appear fully content at staying there. We’ll see.
    I get where you’re coming from but we can sell out just to make ourselves feel proactive. There is a process of evaluating and developing talent that takes time too. We’re not a big market team so leaning into our picks and selecting players that not only fit the bill for talent but fit the bill for culture. It matters that we get players that want to grow here and stick around. Trading our war chest of picks for an all star that just ends up leaving 2-3 years later isn’t a good outcome.

I’m not expecting anything super flashy. But after the draft I expect some movement and a more clear vision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get where you’re coming from but we can sell out just to make ourselves feel proactive. There is a process of evaluating and developing talent that takes time too. We’re not a big market team so leaning into our picks and selecting players that not only fit the bill for talent but fit the bill for culture. It matters that we get players that want to grow here and stick around. Trading our war chest of picks for an all star that just ends up leaving 2-3 years later isn’t a good outcome.

I’m not expecting anything super flashy. But after the draft I expect some movement and a more clear vision.
    I’m actually not in the boat of believing we need to sell our entire war chest for an all star. There are multiple ways to build the team, and I don’t think there is one right way (though we can all agree that there are lots of wrong ways). Which “right” way the team takes, I’m more indifferent to.

With that said, I do not think it will be acceptable to just simply add X number of draft picks this offseason, make one or two Cedi Osman-type moves (meaning, the kind of moves we made last off-season) and then just have the team preach patience and development while we are once again 10-43 and having this conversation again next year.

I just want to see some signs of a plan and PROGRESS. And I believe progress and successfully making that progress should come with a measuring stick. IMO, the measuring stick next season should be competing for a play-in spot (meaning we finish at least with in a few games of the final play-in spot). Short of that, I feel we should view next season as unsuccessful.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At what point in his development do we think Wemby can be a legitimate #1 option for a championship team both offensively and defensively? He's obviously the real deal and incredibly advanced for his age but let's face it 20 year old Wemby can't compare to true contender level #1's like 28 year old Jokic or 29 year old Embiid at this stage. He hasn't developed a go-to move, his conditioning needs a ton of work, he's an inefficient shooter, his handle is loose, and he hasn't figured out the spots where he wants to get the ball yet. That stuff takes years to improve even for a GOAT-level prospect like Wemby. The fact that he's averaging 20/10 with all-defense level defense already is a testament to his potential but he's got a long way to go.

Duncan won his first le at 23. Lebron even though he made the finals in 07, I'd say probably wasn't ready until the Orlando series in 09 when he was 24. Luka's currently 24. Jokic/Embiid/Giannis were probably ready around 26. If we assume Wemby will develop the necessary skills and stamina at age 24, that's still 4 seasons from now to surround him with a championship-caliber supporting cast. This year has been painful because the team is terrible, but sometimes I think we lose sight of just how long a period of time years can be and just how much can change in just a couple years. 4 years ago the Spurs starting lineup was Dejounte-Bryn Forbes-DeRozan-Trey Lyles-Aldridge. I think we will definitely see significant changes by the time Wemby is ready to be a true #1 on a championship contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m actually not in the boat of believing we need to sell our entire war chest for an all star. There are multiple ways to build the team, and I don’t think there is one right way (though we can all agree that there are lots of wrong ways). Which “right” way the team takes, I’m more indifferent to.

With that said, I do not think it will be acceptable to just simply add X number of draft picks this offseason, make one or two Cedi Osman-type moves (meaning, the kind of moves we made last off-season) and then just have the team preach patience and development while we are once again 10-43 and having this conversation again next year.

I just want to see some signs of a plan and PROGRESS. And I believe progress and successfully making that progress should come with a measuring stick. IMO, the measuring stick next season should be competing for a play-in spot (meaning we finish at least with in a few games of the final play-in spot). Short of that, I feel we should view next season as unsuccessful.
    No disagreement from me on this. I’m of the belief that we should be improving to the point of being a firm play in team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My thing is that Young's price is almost meaningless to the question of if the Spurs should try to get him. The question is if adding him puts the team on the path to being a legit contender. If that answer's no, it doesn't matter if Young can be acquired without "emptying the war chest" -- he'd push the Spurs to a schedule they wouldn't know how to get off. That's true for Mitc as well. That's part of why I like the idea of pursuing a much older vet star. Either you're getting a legit championship centerpiece to help drive Wemby while carrying the bulk of the load -- A Shaq to Wemby's Wade -- or you're getting a guy who can be a guiding light for the younger players without the same level of commitment to immediate success --a Millsap to Wemby's Jokic. People keep wanting to plan for the next five to 10 years of Wemby, but very few acquisitions they could make now are going to be relevant to that sort of timeline. There really isn't a point to looking for younger stars. If you already have them, that's fine. But they're often even more expensive to acquire than older stars, and they aren't ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My thing is that Young's price is almost meaningless to the question of if the Spurs should try to get him. The question is if adding him puts the team on the path to being a legit contender. If that answer's no, it doesn't matter if Young can be acquired without "emptying the war chest" -- he'd push the Spurs to a schedule they wouldn't know how to get off. That's true for Mitc as well. That's part of why I like the idea of pursuing a much older vet star. Either you're getting a legit championship centerpiece to help drive Wemby while carrying the bulk of the load -- A Shaq to Wemby's Wade -- or you're getting a guy who can be a guiding light for the younger players without the same level of commitment to immediate success --a Millsap to Wemby's Jokic. People keep wanting to plan for the next five to 10 years of Wemby, but very few acquisitions they could make now are going to be relevant to that sort of timeline. There really isn't a point to looking for younger stars. If you already have them, that's fine. But they're often even more expensive to acquire than older stars, and they aren't ready.
    Personally I like Trae but there’s a lot of examples where chasing that level of player doesn’t quite get you over the top. Suns, Nets, Cavs, Bulls and we’ll see how Indy ends up after the Siakam deal. Which I liked. Plenty of other examples too.

NY did well in all their moves this season and sat on their picks. Super smart.

Trae makes us a playoff team. Provided we don’t give up anyone but Keldon and picks. Then we’re a good 2-3 moves away from having a real conversation.

Whether that’s the right move is above my pay grade.

I personally would see if we end up with 2 picks in the top 10. If that ends up being two guys we like I think you make a handful of the remaining picks available.

I get the draft isn’t desirable but I’m not one of the ones who is sold that the draft is so weak we should have moved our picks before the deadline.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like regular IQ is not innate, basketball IQ isn't. If you want to argue there are genetic factors that go into it, that's fine. But any expression of BBIQ is going to come in ways that experience and coaching will also factor into.
    Spoken by someone who obviously never possessed it in a sport.

Of course, experience and coaching in a developmental stage can enhance it, but a low IQ player can never become a high IQ one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spoken by someone who obviously never possessed it in a sport.

Of course, experience and coaching in a developmental stage can enhance it, but a low IQ player can never become a high IQ one.
    We could go around in circles on this, but frankly I'm not going to keep poking you with a stick as you burrow further into a semantic hole. The question of if a player can improve their play-recognition and ability to do the right thing in a given situation, the answer is yes. If you want to have a private definition of BBIQ to be some genetic thing, that's fine. All that means that your use of BBIQ captures less of the conversation than a more standard definition does. It's obvious one can improve one's understanding of basketball by studying it, experiencing it and being instructed on how to process it. That's true whether that's "enhancing" BBIQ or just part of building it in the first place. For example, if Vassell wanted to improve his ability to recognize when Wemby's open and how to get him the ball, and and Victor can sit down in a room, go over film and discuss what cues they use to determine their actions and how they can sync up their movements to create opportunities. Or Pop can call plays which are based on Vassell passing the ball to Wemby in a manufactured window and through repe ion, Devin can learn how the timing and windows work.

That doesn't mean Vassell would turn into Manu, but if Devin (and Victor and all of the Spurs) is willing to put in the work, he can start to play smarter on the court.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stein: "There appears to be a growing market for Young. San Antonio tops the perceived list. It is believed in some corners of the league that Young would have interest in South Texas as a destination if he were forced to leave Atlanta."

"The Spurs have circulated for months among prominent league observers as a viable destination for Young's offensive gifts."

The Trae Trade Watch has commenced - Marc Stein (substack.com)
    Last edited by TD 21; 02-12-2024 at 12:16 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stein: "There appears to be a growing market for Young. San Antonio tops the perceived list. It is believed in some corners of the league that Young would have interest in South Texas as a destination if he were forced to leave Atlanta."

The Trae Trade Watch has commenced - Marc Stein (substack.com)
    Great news!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fit on paper is obvious. But it would still be a leap of faith on the part of the Spurs. Would Trae be okay as the #2 option? Trae would be #1 or at least #1a for the next couple of years, but if Victor makes the expected leap to MVP candidate in 2027 it would make no sense for him not to be the clear #1.

It's also possible, and maybe even probable, that Trae's efficiency on offense would go up on the Spurs; even young Victor would be by far the best teammate Trae has ever had.

Yes Trae is a bad defender, and with his stature it is unlikely he will ever even be average. But defense is only half of the game and it is possible to make up for deficiencies on defense by more than compensating on offense. That and it just isn't possible to have plus defenders at every position while having a great offense. Moves should be judged with the salary cap and other real-world constraints in mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fit on paper is obvious. But it would still be a leap of faith on the part of the Spurs. Would Trae be okay as the #2 option? Trae would be #1 or at least #1a for the next couple of years, but if Victor makes the expected leap to MVP candidate in 2027 it would make no sense for him not to be the clear #1.

It's also possible, and maybe even probable, that Trae's efficiency on offense would go up on the Spurs; even young Victor would be by far the best teammate Trae has ever had.

Yes Trae is a bad defender, and with his stature it is unlikely he will ever even be average. But defense is only half of the game and it is possible to make up for deficiencies on defense by more than compensating on offense. That and it just isn't possible to have plus defenders at every position while having a great offense. Moves should be judged with the salary cap and other real-world constraints in mind.
    When you can funnel players to the defensive GOAT (calling it now, will die on this hill), it not only makes up for your defense -- it extends the peak/prime stage of your career by years. Look what funneling to Timmy D did for Manu and Tony (especially Manu). We've also got a solid defensive option in Blake as well as a guy who can defend 1-5, Sochan. Of course, it's possible we lose Sochan and/or Vassell, but I'm just saying, in a vacuum..

quick edit to clarify im talking about extending careers for Manu/Tony, not necessarily they were defenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At what point in his development do we think Wemby can be a legitimate #1 option for a championship team both offensively and defensively? He's obviously the real deal and incredibly advanced for his age but let's face it 20 year old Wemby can't compare to true contender level #1's like 28 year old Jokic or 29 year old Embiid at this stage. He hasn't developed a go-to move, his conditioning needs a ton of work, he's an inefficient shooter, his handle is loose, and he hasn't figured out the spots where he wants to get the ball yet. That stuff takes years to improve even for a GOAT-level prospect like Wemby. The fact that he's averaging 20/10 with all-defense level defense already is a testament to his potential but he's got a long way to go.

Duncan won his first le at 23. Lebron even though he made the finals in 07, I'd say probably wasn't ready until the Orlando series in 09 when he was 24. Luka's currently 24. Jokic/Embiid/Giannis were probably ready around 26. If we assume Wemby will develop the necessary skills and stamina at age 24, that's still 4 seasons from now to surround him with a championship-caliber supporting cast. This year has been painful because the team is terrible, but sometimes I think we lose sight of just how long a period of time years can be and just how much can change in just a couple years. 4 years ago the Spurs starting lineup was Dejounte-Bryn Forbes-DeRozan-Trey Lyles-Aldridge. I think we will definitely see significant changes by the time Wemby is ready to be a true #1 on a championship contender.
    Yeah but that's the problem.

No one expects them to contend next year or within the next 3-4. It's not so much about patience, everyone agrees about, than about direction, about the "plan", and Pop's ITV, that doesn't sweat "significant changes", but on the contrary steaking with and spending those next 4 years developing that core that isn't probably not contending material IMO... Pop litterally said some of these guys would be around Wemby their whole career as if he sees them as the other elements of a big 3 around Victor...

It's year two of the rebuild and that doesn't look good in terms of development so far. Do the spurs want to spend the next 2-3 years just adding and developing picks only to realize after 4 years: "Oh wait, but they suck! We can talk about how spurs succesfully made late lottery picks valuable NBA players in the past, but that was within a winning culture, around HOFers, and without pressure for the youngsters. Today's Pop is supposed to develop them as the main guys, and all at the same time. That's totally different. That's a rebuild.

Spurs are kind of building a losing culture right now, and it's much harder to develop within that environment, which is exacty what Pop said in preseason. Winning cures and help for everything.... Losing exacerbates tensions, egos and individualism... Be careful not to become a wizards/pistons type of franchise. This team has been sucking for 2 years, and these kids want to win as much a everyone... At some point you're risking to ruin your players' motivation, confidence, accountability, and joy of playing BB.
    Last edited by JPB; 02-12-2024 at 01:33 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are a playoff team with Young and another year of growth from Wemby next season. If the Spurs hit on their pick this draft the big three is set.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t take seriously any analyst who says the Lakers are in the short list conversation for any player who will require a boatload of picks, simply because they only have one FRP available to trade. That won’t change this summer, because the 31 FRP will be consecutive withe the 30 FRP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t take seriously any analyst who says the Lakers are in the short list conversation for any player who will require a boatload of picks, simply because they only have one FRP available to trade. That won’t change this summer, because the 31 FRP will be consecutive withe the 30 FRP.
    Come the draft the Lakers will be able to trade 3 first round picks and 3 swaps. They only owe 2 firsts as of right now - to NO (24 or 25) and Utah (27 and turns into a second right away if it doesn't convey).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come the draft the Lakers will be able to trade 3 first round picks and 3 swaps. They only owe 2 firsts as of right now - to NO (24 or 25) and Utah (27 and turns into a second right away if it doesn't convey).
    New Orleans has been butt ing them by continuing to defer that pick. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Steal our franchise player, and we’ll block your next decade’s worth of trades.

You’re right about the having two FRPs to trade. I was thinking their 2029 was gone, but they can trade the 29 and 31 FRPs in July. That’s still not going to pull Trae young, so I still can’t take Laker chatter serious on any big deal, nor any analyst who pedals it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Only 29 and 31. If New Orleans takes the pick this year, it blocks 25. The traded 27 pick blocks 26.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Orleans has been butt ing them by continuing to defer that pick. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Steal our franchise player, and we’ll block your next decade’s worth of trades.

You’re right about the having two FRPs to trade. I was thinking their 2029 was gone, but they can trade the 29 and 31 FRPs in July. That’s still not going to pull Trae young, so I still can’t take Laker chatter serious on any big deal, nor any analyst who pedals it.
    wasnt the 2024 pick the only one that came with a deferment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wasnt the 2024 pick the only one that came with a deferment?
    It was actually 23,24,25 New Orleans choice. They deferred last year. What a dumbass Rob Pelinka is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fun game of chess/chicken NOLA gets to play. Say the Lakers slipped out of the playoffs, and take it a step further and say they move into the Top 4 via the lottery. Does NOLA take the Top 4 pick in hand in a weak draft... or do they roll the dice on a Lakers team that could possibly lose LeBron in the offseason.

This is the kind of decision that could get people fired. Bet they didn't think of that when they negotiated that pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nope. Only 29 and 31. If New Orleans takes the pick this year, it blocks 25. The traded 27 pick blocks 26.

If the Pelicans use the '24 pick (unlikely), the Lakers can also trade their '25 pick. And if the Pelicans defer (more likely), the Lakers can't "trade" their '24 pick (because they'd owe the '25 one) but they can select a player for another team and trade his draft rights after taking him. So for all practical purposes they have 3 first rounders to trade rather than 2 (picks in '24/'25, '29, '31 + swaps in '26, '28, '30).

So they could do a Reaves + DeAngelo Russell + Hood Schifino + Max Christie + 3 unprotected FRPs ('24/'25 + '29 + '31) + 3 unprotected swaps for ('26 + '28 + '30) for Trae. I think that's a compe ive offer, not sure they Hawks could get so much more from another team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If NOP takes the pick this year, the 2025 pick is free to trade starting on draft day. The Stepien Rule only applies to future picks and doesn't care about picks traded in the past. During the draft (either 24 or 25), 29 and 31 are all available to trade.

Thread Information