Page 55 of 63 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1569
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if ATL having the lottery protected Kings pick will have an effect on how they operate. Kings pick is protected 1-14 in 2024, 1-12 in 2025 1-10 in 2026, then becomes 2 seconds
    As of right now, that pick will convey this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Found this interesting.

Trae proponents will say that his shot quality would improve with Wemby's gravity improving opportunities.

Trae haters will say he's a bonehead who takes bad shots.

But the reality is that this list is made up by some of the best players in the league, who in theory bring with them some extra defensive attention. Ballers gonna ball.

I'm not exactly sure how to conceptualize what this would mean for a potential Trae-Wemby pairing... but, it's a data point.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Hawks beating the Celtics twice in 4 days and Dejounte balling out tonight (44 points tonight and the game-winner, albeit on bad efficiency), I wonder if the Hawks would rather just get a haul for Young and put the keys in Dejounte's hands going forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ they can find their haul anywhere other than San Antonio

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Hawks beating the Celtics twice in 4 days and Dejounte balling out tonight (44 points tonight and the game-winner, albeit on bad efficiency), I wonder if the Hawks would rather just get a haul for Young and put the keys in Dejounte's hands going forward.
    This is part of the inconvenient truth that Spurs fans don't want to believe. The Hawks actually have plenty of pathways to try and get better, with or without Trae. They aren't stuck in this binary reality where they either give us Trae for nothing or hand us Top 5 picks. It's very possible we end up with some very mid to meh FRPs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is part of the inconvenient truth that Spurs fans don't want to believe. The Hawks actually have plenty of pathways to try and get better, with or without Trae. They aren't stuck in this binary reality where they either give us Trae for nothing or hand us Top 5 picks. It's very possible we end up with some very mid to meh FRPs
    It's an important thing to note, especially since it's also very possible the Hawks want to trade Young while the Spurs don't want to acquire him. In that case, they'd move him to another team without the Spurs having that leverage play. Either way, though, given ATL's track record, I wouldn't assume any move they make will automatically discount the picks. There are win-now paths they can take, but those might well backfire. As I said above, my favorite scenario is possibly for the Spurs to find a way to use their position to get something good in a three-team deal for a club that wants Murray or Young. Most of the teams rumored to be interested have vet pieces they'd be likely to include that could help SA. I mentioned Middleton above, but Reaves and Claxton are possibilities too, as well as whatever a third team would move to absorb KAT.

The question I'm thinking about right now is this: Had the Spurs traded for Murray around the time the rumors were heating up, what would the team look like right now? I'm assuming for this that they trade some combination of Graham and McDermott, so the rest of the roster is mostly intact. Would the Spurs have won a substantial number of additional games? Would they be in disarray? Would Wemby be getting easier looks or fighting for touches? How would Vassell handle the compe ion for perimeter touches, and how would Jones and Wesley slot into the rotation? Would DJM have rediscovered his defense/rebounding, or would he be more concerned about accolades? Would the Hawks have tumbled past the Raptors, pushing them out of the top-6? Would the Spurs have let them back in by going on a winning streak? So many twists it could've taken.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an important thing to note, especially since it's also very possible the Hawks want to trade Young while the Spurs don't want to acquire him. In that case, they'd move him to another team without the Spurs having that leverage play. Either way, though, given ATL's track record, I wouldn't assume any move they make will automatically discount the picks. There are win-now paths they can take, but those might well backfire. As I said above, my favorite scenario is possibly for the Spurs to find a way to use their position to get something good in a three-team deal for a club that wants Murray or Young. Most of the teams rumored to be interested have vet pieces they'd be likely to include that could help SA. I mentioned Middleton above, but Reaves and Claxton are possibilities too, as well as whatever a third team would move to absorb KAT.

The question I'm thinking about right now is this: Had the Spurs traded for Murray around the time the rumors were heating up, what would the team look like right now? I'm assuming for this that they trade some combination of Graham and McDermott, so the rest of the roster is mostly intact. Would the Spurs have won a substantial number of additional games? Would they be in disarray? Would Wemby be getting easier looks or fighting for touches? How would Vassell handle the compe ion for perimeter touches, and how would Jones and Wesley slot into the rotation? Would DJM have rediscovered his defense/rebounding, or would he be more concerned about accolades? Would the Hawks have tumbled past the Raptors, pushing them out of the top-6? Would the Spurs have let them back in by going on a winning streak? So many twists it could've taken.
    To the first point, I agree 100%. I would not bet either way on the Hawks being better or worse no matter what moves they make... their range of outcomes is wide and they are somewhat unpredictable. I just think the thinking that they are stuck and we hold them over a barrel is wishful thinking. I like the idea of us facilitating Young elsewhere for pieces that perhaps better fit what we are doing but still represent a significant upgrade (and they certainly must, for the price we'd be paying). I have no idea what those peices would be (Middleton, Reaves or Claxton don't get me too exited, personally) - but I'm sure there may be some creativity to be found.

To the second point, I think we might have won a handful more games, maybe pushing us above CHA and maybe even POR, but I think we would have maintained our position relative to TOR. We likely would have seen a lot of chemistry building with some interesting strategic choices along the way where we drop games. I feel like the FO sees what we all see: a weak draft, and that the marginal difference between the 3rd best odds and the 5th best odds aren't all that concerning given the talent to be picked from. However, the value in keeping TOR at 6 or worse is evident.

With all that said, maybe the wishful thinking is all mine.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, I had never been under that impression. I knew all along that the Hawks picks were better seen as lottery tickets that might all lose.

The point I was trying to make is that the Hawks might be more willing to trade Young now, whether to the Spurs or another team, than they were a week ago.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll probably have to get in the KAT business to find a trade partner but MIN might not want Trae at all with Ant being their alpha. I still think that's more likely than Spurs giving up Atlanta's picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Found this interesting.

Trae proponents will say that his shot quality would improve with Wemby's gravity improving opportunities.

Trae haters will say he's a bonehead who takes bad shots.

But the reality is that this list is made up by some of the best players in the league, who in theory bring with them some extra defensive attention. Ballers gonna ball.

I'm not exactly sure how to conceptualize what this would mean for a potential Trae-Wemby pairing... but, it's a data point.
    People seem to not comprehend how much attention he gets from defenses. Defenses literally start guarding him at half court. Opens the court for others so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just heard that this season the Hawks are 12 and 10 without Young. 22-29 with him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People seem to not comprehend how much attention he gets from defenses. Defenses literally start guarding him at half court. Opens the court for others so much.
    It doesn't open the court enough to have a better winning % with him than without him, apparently.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just heard that this season the Hawks are 12 and 10 without Young. 22-29 with him.
    Relatively small sample size with no context (quality of opponent, state of their health, were they 2nd night of a back-to-back, 3 in 4, 4 in 5, 5 in 7? etc.).

Here's what's not: They've consistently had a top 5 offense for years with him on the floor and no bona fide second star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't open the court enough to have a better winning % with him than without him, apparently.
    Atlanta playing good defense. Getting healthy. Young guys growing up and competing. Atlanta had been improving all year.

They won a game with DJ taking 40+ shots. Sometimes, things just work out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tim McMahon is saying that discussions within the Hawks is starting to become legitimate about trading Trae Young. He said previously was just guys "talking into a microphone." He also names the Spurs as a potential landing spot, but does say that is something that could be talked about (by the media) and is without really knowing the Spurs' side and if there is any interest.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As of right now, that pick will convey this year.
    For now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Kings end up in the lottery.

They've slipped to 8th and will probably be in the play-in tournament. Huerter just had surgery and Monk is out 4-6 weeks, they're a good candidate for an upset loser.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I haven’t seen here yet applies to something that has happened since the ASG. The league was so revolted by that game, that they felt they needed to take action to make games compe ive and compelling. There was no statement, or released points of emphasis for referees, but fouls, FTs, and ORtg are all down noticeably, and for one reason. Players are not getting the calls they used to by just flailing and throwing themselves into a defender. I watched a number of YouTubes on this subject that break it down with video, and stats. One thing that struck me was that one of the most common video subjects of before and after is Trae Young. If he’s not going to get to the line as much, he becomes less valuable, since his awful defense will be offset by less.

The consensus seems to be that this is a trial period, and if the league is satisfied, there will be a publicized rollout next season. I for one am glad. The tilt towards an offense only league had gotten totally out of hand, and it’s far past time for a correction. You literally couldn’t touch a player with a live dribble.

Blaaaah
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae Young = Ball dominance.
    Is that archetype compatible with Victor?
    I would rather see a Derick White morphed into a PG with Vic.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae Young = Ball dominance.
    Is that archetype compatible with Victor?
    I would rather see a Derick White morphed into a PG with Vic.
    Young has averaged about 10 assist per game in his whole career, that’s what Wemby needs, someone who can run the point and give him the ball in the right spot every time regardless if you consider him call dominate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether you're pro Trae or not, it's fair to say he wouldn't be as ball dominant with the spurs he's been in ATL, which he would be conscious of coming in.

He would understand spurs wouldn't sign him to make his own, personal show with Wemby only here to rebound his misses and that he would have to "sacrifice" touches and plays. But on the other side, he would benefit from the attention Vic is getting, so the question is mostly about complementarity and chemistry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This must explain why they're so much better without him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This must explain why they're so much better without him.
    Tell me you don't watch other teams without telling me you don't watch other teams.

12-9 since Trae got injured.
    11 of those 21 games were against sub .500 teams.
    6-5 in games against teams over .500.

Wins:
    Magic - no Banchero.
    Knicks - everyone injured.
    Cavaliers - no Mitc , Mobley, Strus.
    Clippers - no Russ, but that's like whatever.
    Celtics x2 - In one win against the Celtics they shot 18-36 from deep and other one was DJ's Kobe game. Not discrediting them, just saying.

Deandre Hunter was out for two months earlier in the season. Returned just before Trae went down and he's averaging 17ppg on 40% from 3pt since.
    *In before you say he's playing better without Trae.

Their issues are obvious, Trae and DJ are a pretty bad fit together.

Let me ask you this, going with your logic, what was the issue with Kings and Pacers before that trade?
    Since you're ignoring everything but win percentage, who was the problem in your opinion back then?
    Are you going to tell us that either Fox or Haliburton were to blame for Kings not making it work with two of them?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I haven’t seen here yet applies to something that has happened since the ASG. The league was so revolted by that game, that they felt they needed to take action to make games compe ive and compelling. There was no statement, or released points of emphasis for referees, but fouls, FTs, and ORtg are all down noticeably, and for one reason. Players are not getting the calls they used to by just flailing and throwing themselves into a defender. I watched a number of YouTubes on this subject that break it down with video, and stats. One thing that struck me was that one of the most common video subjects of before and after is Trae Young. If he’s not going to get to the line as much, he becomes less valuable, since his awful defense will be offset by less.

The consensus seems to be that this is a trial period, and if the league is satisfied, there will be a publicized rollout next season. I for one am glad. The tilt towards an offense only league had gotten totally out of hand, and it’s far past time for a correction. You literally couldn’t touch a player with a live dribble.
    I certainly noticed that the Spurs were called for mad ticky tack fouls the first half of the season, and that does not see as bad now. Do you have a source or other anecdotes related to the ASG, because honestly I didn't watch it. But I have noticed a number of NBA players that are experts at drawing a foul, THEN shooting. It seems like that is backwards, they should be looking to shoot, and any foul calls be incidental to that.

Or, is the main evidence re the ASG simply that too many FTs were shot?

Edit: OK, I see there are plenty of articles about this: NBA compe ion committee looking to give defenders more freedom, and scoring is down since All-Star break - CBSSports.com
    Last edited by Knoxxx; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:49 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reduction in foul calls isn't the work of some shadowy NBA officiating cabal like exstatic is making it seem... it's been widely covered, as you pointed out, Knoxxx.

With that said, it's a very good point that needs to be taken into consideration when evaluating a player like Trae (or any other player who successfully gets to the line a lot)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Context?
    It would be interesting too see who their opponents were during both stretches and if they had all their players etc

Thread Information