San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry is retiring a Warrior tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why settle for Trae?

Where’s Chinook at? This is exactly the D-wade/Shaq situation he’s been pushing for

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing that I personally find baffling is some’s viewpoints we’d be betting the farm on Trae and if it doesn't work out, we’re screwed or “semis” caliber only.

So what? Wemby is only 20. If Young sucks and leaves/won’t take a less than max offer from us, Wemby will be all of 22 or 23. We can see by this year’s results that even a non-human Alien can’t overcome teammates. We simply try again. One thing Wemby won’t be able to say, though, if Young doesn’t work out is that the Spurs are cheap or unwilling to take chances on building around him.

I think the 2014 mentality is actually still incredibly manifest everywhere for the Spurs. We don’t have some solid, proven core to build around at all, though. This team is hot garbage with every player but Wemby either regressing or essentially treading water in our pursuit of wins. It’s indisputable we need talent and this team underachieved, even by Vegas standards. Another 20ish win season with this club should not be anyone’s goal

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Bucks melt down and Giannis asks out, then Lillard could become an option

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing that I personally find baffling is some’s viewpoints we’d be betting the farm on Trae and if it doesn't work out, we’re screwed or “semis” caliber only.

Yeah, some people are madly terrified of having “the wrong player” on a team that hasn’t had a winning record in five years. You’d think they’d be used to having the wrong players by now, and plenty of them. Lol

If a player doesn’t work out, you just move him however he can be moved, and try again. There’s nothing to be afraid of.

But if Atlanta is really going to break things up, and Trae Young is not acceptable, the target should be DJM. The tank for Wemby has been accomplished, so it’s safe for DJM to return.

How to get DJM? Get their attention by offering Devin Vassell for him. The Spurs need an NBA-quality point guard a lot more than they need Vassell. And if Atlanta is keeping Trae, and trading DJM, they would presumably be interested in a shooting guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Bucks melt down and Giannis asks out, then Lillard could become an option

Lillard? Do not want.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or the other guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is a different take...

If Atlanta is going to blow it up... how about Jalen Johnson? He shot .355 this year on decent volume for his role (3.6 attempts/gm) and has shown consistent improvement in this area. Can fit that "MPJ" role at the 3 or 4 for us.

Unfortunately, he's likely the main piece that will be viewed as vital for them to keep by their FO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is a different take...

If Atlanta is going to blow it up... how about Jalen Johnson? He shot .355 this year on decent volume for his role (3.6 attempts/gm) and has shown consistent improvement in this area. Can fit that "MPJ" role at the 3 or 4 for us.

Unfortunately, he's likely the main piece that will be viewed as vital for them to keep by their FO.
    if ATL blows it up, he might be the one guy they refuse to move

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disingenous....

you know he was coming off an injury and had a wrap on his hand and took it off at halftime...
    he also had 3 lobs for dunks - in the first half alone
    Well, the injury didn't seem to bother him when he lauched a long, uncontested 3 to stad pad in the last seconds with both teams already calling the quits. Didn't look injured as well when Miami targeted and exposed him. Want to settle for a few nice alley oops and fancy passes? Sure, go get Trae. But don't complain when the Spurs are picked apart in the playoffs and can't get any help because they've burned a large chunk of their assets getting him and tied their capspace to max him out.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if ATL blows it up, he might be the one guy they refuse to move
    I agree. If the Hawks can get their 2025/2026/2027 draft control back from the Spurs, or maybe even just 2025/2026, they might tear it all down by trading both Young and Murray with the idea of building around Jalen Johnson.

I think the Wolves are a natural fit for a three-team trade with the Hawks and Spurs. The Hawks want their draft control back, the Wolves reportedly want Murray and might want to dump some salary, and the Spurs have cap space to absorb some salary and might want Young.

The skeleton of a deal could look like this:
    • ATL sends Young, Murray
    • ATL receives McDaniels, Keldon, Collins, Graham (guaranteed at $12.5M), ATL 2025, undo ATL/SAS 2026 swap, ATL 2027
    • MIN sends Reid, McDaniels, Alexander-Walker
    • MIN receives Murray, CHI 2025
    • SAS sends Keldon, Collins, Graham, whatever seconds are needed to grease the wheels
    • SAS receives Young, Reid, Alexander-Walker

Why the teams would do it:
    • ATL gets to do a proper teardown with their own picks and can build around Jalen Johnson and McDaniels
    • MIN gets under the tax and acquires Murray, plus a pick to sweeten the deal
    • SAS gets a massive talent upgrade

I'm not saying this is realistic exactly as proposed, or even exactly possible under the CBA, or even necessarily a good idea for the Spurs, though I did try to make the salaries match (up to the Spurs' available cap space) and keep the Wolves out of the tax, which is why they have to send both Reid and McDaniels.

If the Spurs don't want Young there are ways to rope in a fourth team that does want Young, but at that point there would be so many moving parts that it would be very difficult to get the deal over the finish line.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, the injury didn't seem to bother him when he lauched a long, uncontested 3 to stad pad in the last seconds with both teams already calling the quits. Didn't look injured as well when Miami targeted and exposed him. Want to settle for a few nice alley oops and fancy passes? Sure, go get Trae. But don't complain when the Spurs are picked apart in the playoffs and can't get any help because they've burned a large chunk of their assets getting him and tied their capspace to max him out.
    Or dont get trae and most def - do not complain when
    zollins and branham and wesley get you the exact same thing they got you the past couple seasons...

as if YOU were paying for youngs salary - lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or dont get trae and most def - do not complain when
    zollins and branham and wesley get you the exact same thing they got you the past couple seasons...

as if YOU were paying for youngs salary - lol
    You exude such salary cap knowledge that I find it intimidating.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You exude such salary cap knowledge that I find it intimidating.
    that makes it a wash -since your basketball knowledge is about equal to my salary cap knowledge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sniffers don’t want LeBron James, they don’t want Trae young. Ya’ll act like we have another star other than Wemby coming out of this draft. Like yeah the whole plan to get a star can tank and it can fall flat on its face but it’s better than hoping Branham and Wesley become nba players. Y’all act like they can develop like Manu and Tony. The Spurs can be patient but this is being too patient.

You guys really want to run back the same 22 win team. You guys also realize pop has brain farts as well and might not even play the right players like usual until it’s too late. Spurs have a superstar and should be in win now mode. It won’t be overnight but they have to do something.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, not defending specially Trae, but let's try to stay fair and objective. That was one game out of injury and his TS% on that game is not that bad. Embiid scored 23 on 6/17 shooting last night, in a 1 point win thanks to Batum going bonanza on 3 (and blocking a potential game winner). Not sure we can say Embiid shat the bed and is a wortless player spurs wouldnt trade for...

But we can argue about Trae's value overall.
    Not wanting to trade for Trae is one thing, that is perfectly understandable I'm not his biggest fan. But its also about the alternatives and Wemby. You dont choose when and what star is available for you. Would I like a Luka or Giannis instead, yes ofc,, but if the alternative is watching that franchise suck some more trying to develop a bunch of rookies, which they've unsuccessfullh done for two years , for another 2 or 3 years, just adding a couple of vets who wont move thé needle that much and will eat cap space too, puttin you on the treadmill at best... Give meTrae... Not even talking about the ACTUAL possibility of getting Garlands or Bridges..

Again you're not stuck with ,stars today in a much more dynamic and active NBA regarding star movement.
    I am mostly out on Trae at this point as well, but this is a mischaracterization of what folks are saying and you should be able to recognize that.
    Trae Young might be frighteningly highly paid, undersized with bad defense who will cost a lot in the acquiring .... But the alternatives.... Are they much better?

Who else is realistic to get?

Young is not ideal, and it seems like he's not in the cards anyway if Finger is to be believed. But I do think he'd be an upgrade and get the team to a top 10 offense.

And the modern NBA is all about offense. Most of the top playoff teams are top offense teams except Minnesota. Scoring is the name of the game now and Young has been a big part of successful offenses over his career.
    These agenda pushers are just waiting to pounce, living and dying with every Hawks result, taking basic things out of context and repeating obvious things.

These reasoned, objective, in some cases maybe even devil's advocate takes will inevitably be taken as you wanting him at all costs and not understanding his deficiencies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you thought this team was winning 40 games, shut the up loser. your opinion is less than worthless
    Josh Primo does nice in some G-League highlights. "You son of a , I'm in."

Trae Young takes his team to the ECF two years ago and has made a couple all star games. "Nah he doesn't play defense and will stall our process."

LMAO can't write this .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Traes body language that last game soured me on him quite a bit. That ain't the way to do it.

Spurs aren't getting trae unless it's a bargain, that's always been established. It'll only happen if it's a bargain and at that point there's no reason not to spin the wheels. That salary has to go somewhere. We still don't have high dollar players outside of dev. I don't see sochan breaking the bank either. I'd rather 40 Mil go to someone who helps wembys life than to 3 or 4 guys who get starter minutes andnwouldnt get bench minutes on most other teams. Call me crazy.

But yea, it's not a sell the farm type deal bringing trae to SA. If it was, nah it ain't worth it. Which is exactly why it's always been unlikely to happen.

Curry would be a sale the farm type without thinking twice. His game ages well. He's got plenty of thread on those tires. People would take pay cuts for curry ans wemby. Don't see warriors ever letting that happen tho.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mike Finger seems pretty sure Spurs won't trade for Trae...

quote "As tempting as it might sound to send a big package of role players and first-rounders to Atlanta for Trae Young this summer, that move isn't going to happen"

He sees Spurs fixing PG issue via draft and shooting via trades

https://archive.ph/hzRzs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ALT don't trade young for a low price, just because. Same as Murray. They will ride it out and hope their stock increases. Murray value is high right now and is the likely move. Unless they see him as the center piece moving forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ALT don't trade young for a low price, just because. Same as Murray. They will ride it out and hope their stock increases. Murray value is high right now and is the likely move. Unless they see him as the center piece moving forward.
    Atlanta usually overpays and then they refuse to accept the sunk cost, asking for unrealistic returns which only causes them to drag things further until it's too late. John Collins was on the trade block for what, 3 years before they cut their losses? the Capela / Okongwu situation, with 2 good but incompatible assets in the same position while lacking elsewhere, DeAndre Hunter should have been moved long ago. They'll most likely put a superstar price tag on Trae, 2 most likely destinations for him IMO are: 1) Brooklyn (desperate for a star to play alongside Bridges, Sean Marks' job is on the line, and they have plenty of promising Suns' picks) 2) Lakers (Reaves + all available picks).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae practically begging the Spurs to trade for him tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing about adding Trae or not is that you dont have to see it from an individual perspective, just considering Atlanta Trae, in a different context, and saying you dont want that.

It's not Wemby + Atlanta Trae but Wemby AND Trae together in SA, in a different configuration, and how they can help and make each other better.

Vic doesn't need another superstar next to him, quite the contrary. He needs his sidekick, his Pippen who ended up as an HOFER, but as experence showed wasnt made to be the alpha guy, like Trae might not be either... But he might be perfect next to Wemby, as the sidekick, also elevating his game as a great but not too great player who can help Wemby express all his potential without fighting for the alpha role.

And yeah, Trae's salary = Devin + Keldon. I take the first option any day. One superior talent player always beat two inferior talent players.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 10:09 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gimme Dejounte and his all caps social media proclamations.

Thread Information