Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA trade deadline 2024: Low-key day improves odds for summer blockbusters - Yahoo Sports

I suspect it's likely them just putting two and two together as opposed to the Spurs necessarily being interested.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers free up three draft picks this summer to trade for him. Expect the chatter to pick up high. That would be great for us. Atlanta will suck and the Lakers will make it harder to actually win in the future.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i've never been a fan of trae young but i'd much rather the spurs go that route than have another season like this one.

i didn't know he's averaging 10 assists--even with having to split the ball with dejounte. so that's a good sign.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i'd rather the spurs trade for him than dejounte, that's for sure.

hawks will be asking a lot for trae though.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Anyone who thinks a Young/Wemby pairing wouldn't work is re ed. likewise anyone who thinks Wemby will be reduced to a lob threat because of Young is a re .

Trae Young is not the idea PG but he is an elite PG in the league and scoffing the notion of trading for him is pretty dumb. If all SA has to give up are Hawks own picks/swaps returned to them and someone like Keldon + filler, i think you do that deal all day. i'd rather have a certainty that we will have an elite PG next to Wemby versus hoping we find one in the draft. Young has also had some pretty dominant playoff performances already. again, he is not my ideal PG, and he has flaws (like any other player does), but the fact that you have sniffers on this board scoffing the notion of pairing him with Wemby just speaks to how dumb some posters here are. i'm not saying break the bank for him, but if the price is right, and he wants to be here, pull the trigger. any BS about his teammates not liking him or whatever are from the same random sauces that the sniffers are quick to discredit when they talk about Spurs related rumors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who thinks a Young/Wemby pairing wouldn't work is re ed. likewise anyone who thinks Wemby will be reduced to a lob threat because of Young is a re .

Trae Young is not the idea PG but he is an elite PG in the league and scoffing the notion of trading for him is pretty dumb. If all SA has to give up are Hawks own picks/swaps returned to them and someone like Keldon + filler, i think you do that deal all day. i'd rather have a certainty that we will have an elite PG next to Wemby versus hoping we find one in the draft. Young has also had some pretty dominant playoff performances already. again, he is not my ideal PG, and he has flaws (like any other player does), but the fact that you have sniffers on this board scoffing the notion of pairing him with Wemby just speaks to how dumb some posters here are. i'm not saying break the bank for him, but if the price is right, and he wants to be here, pull the trigger. any BS about his teammates not liking him or whatever are from the same random sauces that the sniffers are quick to discredit when they talk about Spurs related rumors
    The dislike of his teammates is a fact that can be verified by counting his ASG player votes. They total less than the number of teammates he has, which mean no other players think much of him either.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though he's just relating speculation, Fischer is the guy who broke the Dejounte-Hawks talks last year so he's worth paying attention to with Hawks related info

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The dislike of his teammates is a fact that can be verified by counting his ASG player votes. They total less than the number of teammates he has, which mean no other players think much of him either.
    Not just the All-Star thing. Every report indicates he's not liked by his teammates.

I mean, I don't know how often the team has to say they don't want to make expensive mistakes before people just have to move on from their EA Sports fantasies. Even if he has a 55% chance of being great, they're not going to do it. And guess what? He's not great. He's inefficient and his teams don't win games. That's not going to change on another team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have an idea, but whatever the reason(s) for his teammates supposedly not liking him, given the Spurs connections with Fields and Snyder (there's probably even some leftovers from Ferry's era), they'd have a good sense of not only why, but whether that's started to change.

Either way and even considering that we know small and heliocentric is not their preference, at the very least they should already be giving this serious thought because it's possible a better fit/player may not be for the taking for them for the foreseeable future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Team: "We don't want to make expensive mistakes"

Also team: 46.2% of salary cap tied up in Vassell, Johnson, Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Team: "We don't want to make expensive mistakes"

Also team: 46.2% of salary cap tied up in Vassell, Johnson, Collins.
    Vassell's salary, like I keep pointing out, goes down year over year.

So does Keldon's.

Collins' isn't that much.

The team has to pay players. It's a requirement. It's called the salary floor. And you need salary blocks if you want to make trades. A contract like Collins is exatly what you want if you want to acquire a star.

This ain't difficult, man.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So does Keldon's.

The team has to pay players. It's a requirement. It's called the salary floor. And you need salary blocks if you want to make trades. A contract like Collins is exatly what you want if you want to acquire a star.

I think what he’s saying is that we should just drop all the lottery picks from the roster except Wemby. Thank goodness Spurs don’t get their GMs from Spurstalk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So does Keldon's.

Being a declining contract doesn't provide justification for an overpay. And yes, right now it's looking like an overpay. He'll be making more next year than DJM, JJJ, Jalen Brunson, and Mikal Bridges, for example. There is still time for his contract to prove a bargain, but so far this season it's looking iffy... unless you also think someone like Jordan Poole's contract is a steal.

A team has to pay players. It doesn't have to overpay ty ones. That's how teams end up with things like... I don't know, a .192 winning percentage.

And no, a contract like Collins isn't exactly what you want if you want to acquire a star. There is no requirement that you have overpaid, undersized backup centers who can't shoot or defend include in trades for stars. Exactly zero teams have ever looked at what Zach Collins has currently is and said "yeah, that's the perfect piece that makes this entire deal make sense". Looking back at the last few big trades... nope, none of them included a ty overpaid Zach Collins-like negative asset. Maybe Bertans being passed around like a used up French to facilitate blockbuster moves for Gordon Hayward cons utes acquiring a star.

You're right, this ain't difficult, which makes it all that more impressive that you continually vomit all of this nonsense all over yourself.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being a declining contract doesn't provide justification for an overpay. And yes, right now it's looking like an overpay. He'll be making more next year than DJM, JJJ, Jalen Brunson, and Mikal Bridges, for example. There is still time for his contract to prove a bargain, but so far this season it's looking iffy... unless you also think someone like Jordan Poole's contract is a steal.

A team has to pay players. It doesn't have to overpay ty ones. That's how teams end up with things like... I don't know, a .192 winning percentage.

And no, a contract like Collins isn't exactly what you want if you want to acquire a star. There is no requirement that you have overpaid, undersized backup centers who can't shoot or defend include in trades for stars. Exactly zero teams have ever looked at what Zach Collins has currently is and said "yeah, that's the perfect piece that makes this entire deal make sense". Looking back at the last few big trades... nope, none of them included a ty overpaid Zach Collins-like negative asset. Maybe Bertans being passed around like a used up French to facilitate blockbuster moves for Gordon Hayward cons utes acquiring a star.

You're right, this ain't difficult, which makes it all that more impressive that you continually vomit all of this nonsense all over yourself.
    Normally I agree with your takes but Vassell isn’t an overpay. Obviously we’d like him to be a bit healthier but adding an 18ppg player was going to likely eat up some of his offense. The experiment didn’t help Vassell either. Not having a pg ate some of game up too.

He’s definitely not an overpay. I see him as a long term player for us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae Young signed a 5 year / $215,159,700 contract, no ing way, not worth it... lets get a good pick and keep building

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fischer was the first to mention DJM being traded when that really didn't seem like a realistic option so there is a chance he has decent sourcing in ATL or SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I mean, the alternative was paying a Fred Van Vleet a ton of money.

And, yes, you need to understand the importance of reasonable salary slots attached to decent players. If you did want to get a Trae Young you have to bundle up some players in addition to draft picks.

Again, this really isn't hard. The Spurs contracts are structured to ease or disappear when they may need to start paying other players or to give them flexibility. There are real reasons to complain about choices made. Relentlessly ing and moaning about these contracts aren't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Normally I agree with your takes but Vassell isn’t an overpay. Obviously we’d like him to be a bit healthier but adding an 18ppg player was going to likely eat up some of his offense. The experiment didn’t help Vassell either. Not having a pg ate some of game up too.

I think Vassell will be an overpay next season in the first of his 5 year contract, at 29.3M. Then, as the cap increases, his salary goes down to 27M, 27M, 24.6M, and es to 27M the last year (probably to facilitate an extension if necessary). Provided he doesn't regress and there's a team around him, he should be able to at the very least look good enough to keep his trade value positive.
    Something similar happens with Keldon, if he were to play a lesser role in a more fluid offense he wouldn't need to force so much and he'd look better, I don't think his contract will be a problem.
    Lastly, Zach Collins is actually way overpaid, but at least his contract runs only 2 more years, the first of which I doubt there's much problem keeping him on the roster, but if the salary slot is needed to make a run at a free agent the following year, I don't think an expiring 17M contract by 2025 will be that hard to move.
    All in all, not great contracts but not too burdensome either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Devin still has a chance to "earn" his contract, but right now it's an overpay to me - but I'll also be the first to say (as I have in many threads) that he should benefit tremendously by a real PG in the game who can both set him up and be a threat who's gravity free things up for Devin. But right now he is only starting to shake loose from the trappings of a dysfunctional offense where he had to essentially transform into a high-volume chucker because that was the only way the offensive would do anything at all. So, largely I don't blame Devin for a lot of the deficiencies currently found in his game. He takes a lot of bad, predetermined shots - but it's only because that is what this offense was having him doing. I have some optimism, but we need to see him grow out of that and into a team game, which he hasn't quite done yet.

And he needs to play some defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Devin still has a chance to "earn" his contract, but right now it's an overpay to me - but I'll also be the first to say (as I have in many threads) that he should benefit tremendously by a real PG in the game who can both set him up and be a threat who's gravity free things up for Devin. But right now he is only starting to shake loose from the trappings of a dysfunctional offense where he had to essentially transform into a high-volume chucker because that was the only way the offensive would do anything at all. So, largely I don't blame Devin for a lot of the deficiencies currently found in his game. He takes a lot of bad, predetermined shots - but it's only because that is what this offense was having him doing. I have some optimism, but we need to see him grow out of that and into a team game, which he hasn't quite done yet.

And he needs to play some defense.
    if you want to be technical about it... as is the case with Zollins, he's not technically on that contract yet. he's making just under 6 mil this year.

the difference is vassell is 23 and collins is 26, so there is a better chance that he shows a significant amount of growth/improvement compared to collins.. enough to justify if not outperform that new contract. next year will be the most expensive year of his deal, not only because its the biggest number (29 mil compared to other seasons where his at 27 mil or 25 mil), but also because we can expect the cap to rise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually don't mind any of these contracta, they just fly in the face of this "we don't want to make any costly mistakes" mantra. They've made multiple costly mistakes. What they haven't done, is make a fatal mistake (like trading two unprotected FRPs and an unprotected pick swap for Dejounte Murray without considerable other assets as a backstop), which is great.

Bottom line: this FO is operating with very little credibility right now, and many of us clearly have zero problems pointing that out. If it all works out, we'll all be happy and I'll be the first to eat crow and give them their flowers. But in the meantime, "just be patient, we're pounding the rock, not making any mistakes!" is just non-sense used to avoid accountability. It's like watching an alcoholic continue to get drunk, but tell you that this is all part of the process of getting sober. Just have patience!

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just the All-Star thing. Every report indicates he's not liked by his teammates.

I mean, I don't know how often the team has to say they don't want to make expensive mistakes before people just have to move on from their EA Sports fantasies. Even if he has a 55% chance of being great, they're not going to do it. And guess what? He's not great. He's inefficient and his teams don't win games. That's not going to change on another team.
    Yeah let's make expensive mistakes like paying Zollins $17 million a year instead

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, the alternative was paying a Fred Van Vleet a ton of money.
    This was not the alternative. The Spurs were forced to neither overpay FVV, or overpay Zach Collins. There was no gun forcing them to do so, stop saying dumb like this, because it's not true.

And, yes, you need to understand the importance of reasonable salary slots attached to decent players. If you did want to get a Trae Young you have to bundle up some players in addition to draft picks.

Again, this really isn't hard. The Spurs contracts are structured to ease or disappear when they may need to start paying other players or to give them flexibility. There are real reasons to complain about choices made. Relentlessly ing and moaning about these contracts aren't.
    The choice are what make them a mistake. Signing someone to a 2/$35 deal isn't the mistake. The fact that person is Zach Collins is what makes it a mistake. Yes, you have to match salaries. When those matching salaries are negative assets, though, that just raises the cost of acquiring your target. That is what makes it a mistake. To bring up everyone's favorite country bumpkin, you'd be better off with Austin Reeves on a 4/$80 than Zach Collins on a 2/$35 for matching purposes, because at least some teams actually want Reaves. The only thing mitigating the negative value of Zach's extension is that it's only two years. With that said, if the plan is to have a $17m expiring to move at the deadline in February of 2026, then it works pretty well I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah let's make expensive mistakes like paying Zollins $17 million a year instead
    In Young's case the problem isn't his contract, but the amount of assets it'd take to get him, which would be A LOT.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trae Young signed a 5 year / $215,159,700 contract, no ing way, not worth it... lets get a good pick and keep building
    The cap is probably to increase significantly each year, starting in 25-26 thanks to the new TV/streaming deal. That's probably going to be a pretty good contract for 25-26. Too bad young has an opt-out for 26-27 though.

Thread Information