Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby is tired he definitely hit the rookie and people were ing about him not playing on back to back and 30 + minutes.
    I don't buy this. He's 19 and 20 yrs old this season, and he plays anywhere from 20-29 minutes a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't buy this. He's 19 and 20 yrs old this season, and he plays anywhere from 20-29 minutes a game.
    It doesn’t matter what you buy or don’t buy. Everyone hits the rookie wall, and 100% of them are in his age bracket. Sean Elliott, a three year college player, spoke of taking the floor for shoot around, and his legs were jelly before he even put up a shot. Victor was used to playing a game, or in a busy week two each week. Now,it’s frequently 4 games a week.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's playing 28-30 minutes a game now when not in foul trouble. That's what rookies play since they aren't used to an NBA schedule. As Victor hits his prime he'll probably go up to 35 minutes a night but this isn't 2001 when you run your guys into the ground 42 minutes a night every game. Look at the minutes per game Jokic has played his entire career on a team where everything revolves around him:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...jokicni01.html

2015-16: 21.7
    2016-17: 27.9
    2017-18: 32.6
    2018-19: 31.3
    2019-20: 32.0
    2020-21: 34.6
    2021-22: 33.5
    2022-23: 33.7
    2023-24: 33.8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell with another progressive development night under Poppeds tutelage?

7-20.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Wembanyama ever averages 35 mpg, especially on this team.

This is eons off obviously, but one of my concerns is, if/when they get to championship contention and play others at that level in the playoffs, can he handle virtually unlimited minutes in non blowout situations?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did we win?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn’t matter what you buy or don’t buy. Everyone hits the rookie wall, and 100% of them are in his age bracket. Sean Elliott, a three year college player, spoke of taking the floor for shoot around, and his legs were jelly before he even put up a shot. Victor was used to playing a game, or in a busy week two each week. Now,it’s frequently 4 games a week.
    He's playing 28-30 minutes a game now when not in foul trouble. That's what rookies play since they aren't used to an NBA schedule. As Victor hits his prime he'll probably go up to 35 minutes a night but this isn't 2001 when you run your guys into the ground 42 minutes a night every game. Look at the minutes per game Jokic has played his entire career on a team where everything revolves around him:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...jokicni01.html

2015-16: 21.7
    2016-17: 27.9
    2017-18: 32.6
    2018-19: 31.3
    2019-20: 32.0
    2020-21: 34.6
    2021-22: 33.5
    2022-23: 33.7
    2023-24: 33.8
    I stand educated. It does make sense! I mean it's true. 39-40 mpg averages are indeed a thing of the past. Is anyone even playing 38mpg anymore? I'll have to look that up. I just hope Pop doesn't baby him into 30mpg. I'd like to see 35mpg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka averaging right around 38mpg which I think nearly or does lead the league. I'd like to see Wemby AT LEAST avg 35mpg when he's up to snuff, but I don't think Pop will even allow that. Under Pop, Wemby will probably peak at 32-33 mpg. If you look closely enough, Pop started load managing and ruining Tim Duncan's stats around the 2003-2004 season at only age 27.

Now we have to deal with god damn morons on social media, YouTube etc. saying they would "Take AD all day-everyday over Duncan!" It's really simply because Tim's stats were screwed up under Pop, and not because AD is even remotely in the same stratosphere as Timmy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I miss Tim Duncan
    This game was really bad.
    Such incompetence.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timmy rip

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Wembanyama ever averages 35 mpg, especially on this team.

This is eons off obviously, but one of my concerns is, if/when they get to championship contention and play others at that level in the playoffs, can he handle virtually unlimited minutes in non blowout situations?
    Come on, every rookie hits the wall. That doesn't mean they can't play 30mn+ in the NBA later in their career. that's overreacting here. And losing sure doesn't help. And I mean when rookiies hit the wall, they usually they don't drop 21pts (7/16, 3/6 on 3) like Wemby last night. It's more like 5 miserable points a game. Wemby is even special in the way he hits the wall.

You guys have crazy expectations. Panicking because a rookie only drops 21 (his average) in a game... I'd panic more with Vassel going 7/20, or Pop's coaching.
    Last edited by JPB; 02-11-2024 at 02:55 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop coaches them to give up the 3 ball (or if he’s not, is doing a terrible job of getting players to follow his scheme)

then post game he will shrug and say “it’s not complicated. They just made shots and we didn’t”
    that's exactly what the idiot said at the start of the postgame interview

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When people get old they are stuck in their ways and can sometimes learn to appreciate the little things in life, et cetera. To me, that's where Pop is. More like a grandfather who wants to buy the grandkids ice cream and is tired of being the disciplinarian. He wants to impart wisdom.

Having said that, I still think he's sharp for a 75 year old. I don't think he's coaching to win another le. I think he's accepted that stage is over, which is good for him but not what the team needs.

Pop needs to find his successor and bring them onboard imo. Perhaps an atypical coaching year where the new coach gets the responsibility and Pop gets the head coaching le. That's farfetched but to me would be an improvement.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When people get old they are stuck in their ways and can sometimes learn to appreciate the little things in life, et cetera. To me, that's where Pop is. More like a grandfather who wants to buy the grandkids ice cream and is tired of being the disciplinarian. He wants to impart wisdom.

Having said that, I still think he's sharp for a 75 year old. I don't think he's coaching to win another le. I think he's accepted that stage is over, which is good for him but not what the team needs.

Pop needs to find his successor and bring them onboard imo. Perhaps an atypical coaching year where the new coach gets the responsibility and Pop gets the head coaching le. That's farfetched but to me would be an improvement.
    Coach Bud is still not doing anything, right? Wouldn’t mind having him come back as lead assistant who’ll take over when the time comes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop coaches them to give up the 3 ball (or if he’s not, is doing a terrible job of getting players to follow his scheme)

then post game he will shrug and say “it’s not complicated. They just made shots and we didn’t”
    that's exactly what the idiot said at the start of the postgame interview

It’s so predictable. And nobody follows up on it. If they did he’d say it’s a stupid question and move on to the next one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't rebuild with this draft

How many wasted seasons to please the slow process of an old man in love with developing (average) players?
    Just because there isn't a consensus top 3 pick in this draft doesn't mean that there are no good players that will come out of it.

So tired of this nonsense.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coach Bud is still not doing anything, right? Wouldn’t mind having him come back as lead assistant who’ll take over when the time comes.
    6 months ago I was opposed to that idea. But now, if something like that would make next year better, then I'm all for it. After the pop interview, it's starting to sink in, as if it wasn't always obvious, this is going to be a slow ass process. That doesn't mean I want to go all in and trade for a win now player, but there's no reason the coaching staff needs such a long developmental time either. I'm not very invested in the fourth assistant coach working his way up or whatever.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on, every rookie hits the wall. That doesn't mean they can't play 30mn+ in the NBA later in their career. that's overreacting here. And losing sure doesn't help. And I mean when rookiies hit the wall, they usually they don't drop 21pts (7/16, 3/6 on 3) like Wemby last night. It's more like 5 miserable points a game. Wemby is even special in the way he hits the wall.

You guys have crazy expectations. Panicking because a rookie only drops 21 (his average) in a game... I'd panic more with Vassel going 7/20, or Pop's coaching.
    I don't know how you got that from what I said, but I was speaking more so to a concern I had beforehand and it doesn't entail playing 30+ mpg in the regular season. Of course he can do that; he's not far off as is.

I'm saying, down the line, can he do something similar to what Duncan used to or Jokic did more recently and play around 40 mpg in non blowouts in the playoffs? Can he play a full half in them if absolutely necessary? Etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dex

I'm not against the process, I'm concerned by the personnel involved in the process

Imo there's an emotional attachment to players drafted and developped like Vassell who imo doesn't fit the criteria as number 2 (even 3 tbh)

Spurs need to take some risks on the market and not only rely on draft hopes

We're talking about a once a generation player here, not having any passing abilities to pair with him is mind boggling.

It NEEDS to be fixed and it won't happen with this draft

Thread Information