Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Johnny:

HT: 6’9 - SG/SF - Kansas - Freshmen - Shooter

Just watched his game against Houston he played really good I was surprised he is just starting to getting playing time with the Jayhawks but he is an international player. This is a weak draft I could easily see some younger and older players dramatically changing current draft mocks. For instance Draft Room now has him coming out of nowhere to #14 and has Dalton Knecht at #8 to Rockets.

FYI - Was going to post this in the draft thread but it has been hijacked by Old Farts arguing about CIA and Qatar. Lol
    Last edited by BackHome; 02-12-2024 at 11:20 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has been on a tear since midseason - he's my pick for Toronto's pick if Topic shows out in Euroleague and ends up being our first pick. No ceilings actually did a feature on him and I agree with their comp of Trey Murphy III. However, drafting him would leave us painfully weak on the boards with limited strength, but would definitely provide the spacing you are looking for:

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/john...ry-pick-hiding

Of course, if the spurs did draft both these guys rascal would probably commit suicide on the spot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s see…

is he white? Oof, he fails the rascal test.

is he old? Nope, he passes the exstatic test.

can he shoot? Shucks, he can. He fails the Dejounte test.

does he play in the ncaa where they learn to play team ball? Oh , mr. Body is in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has been on a tear since midseason - he's my pick for Toronto's pick if Topic shows out in Euroleague and ends up being our first pick. No ceilings actually did a feature on him and I agree with their comp of Trey Murphy III. However, drafting him would leave us painfully weak on the boards with limited strength, but would definitely provide the spacing you are looking for:

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/john...ry-pick-hiding

Of course, if the spurs did draft both these guys rascal would probably commit suicide on the spot
    damn, you got the rascal joke before me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My first impressions: this guy plays with a lot of grit, like he plays with something to prove… like every minute on the floor is life or death. Sort of reminds me of Reaves and Manu. He’s very active with his feet. These are things that I’ve felt Risacher is missing, which is why I’m a major skeptic. I like this Furphy kid. What a goofy ass last name.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like going by 'Johnny Furphy' is just egregious. Go by John Furphy or Jonathon Furphy or even Jonno Furphy. C'mon. Stop being so Australian.

Seriously though, this is why paying attention to preseason mock drafts is senseless. The Kentucky players who were supposed to be high lottery looks were not Reed Sheppard and Rob Dillingham. This guy wasn't even on his own coach's radar much until under a month ago and he was pushed into the starting unit and his minutes doubled. They got rocked by Texas Tech tonight, by the way. He was practically the only Jayhawk with a good game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thought this was another Kevin Tran type bit based on this guy's name alone

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a weak draft, he might be smart to enter. Defense is the biggest concern. I'm not sure what his wingspan is, but i don't think it'll be a plus for him which makes his technique on that side of the ball a bigger deal and his technique is pretty raw there. Obviously, he's much further along offensively. I wouldn’t expect him to be a guy we'd draft where we're currently projected. That said, as weak as this draft gets after the top 10 (I'm being generous), it wouldn't be a shock for someone to take him in the lottery based on the fact that he has a skill that's translatable and a motor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kansas fans seem to think he's better than Gradey generally, but that may be recency bias. Clearly they hope he stays another year. Say he impacts the game when he's not hitting from range, praise his high motor. As a note, he's gone 1-13 from deep in the last three games, although he's been rebounding and got six steals against Baylor.

Gradey was picked #13 in what has been considered a much better draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thought this was Terrence Hill aka Johnny Firpo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s see…

is he white? Oof, he fails the rascal test.

is he old? Nope, he passes the exstatic test.

can he shoot? Shucks, he can. He fails the Dejounte test.

does he play in the ncaa where they learn to play team ball? Oh , mr. Body is in.
    Man this had me rolling

Believe.
    Post Count
    Thought this was another Kevin Tran type bit based on this guy's name alone
    wait I’m confused, isn’t Kevin Tran basically the next Wemby? I’ve been so excited waiting for him to come over.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Furphy in the late lottery with either Raps pick or a trade-down is better value than Risacher top 2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or Stephon Castle instead of Topic.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or Stephon Castle instead of Topic.
    Maybe. I think Castle and Topic are two completely different types of players even in the best case scenario though, so it's a harder comparison to make. Much like comparing a defensively limited offensive engine to a well rounded all-around guard. Furphy and Risacher offer similar strengths and weaknesses to me as tall 3 and D guys with movement shooting potential and limited creation upside, so it's an easier comparison to make. I'm always willing to be convinced otherwise though, not really married to any of my assessments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I have to draft a guard who can't shoot, I want one who plays defense.

More to the point, I'm wary of high rookie scale salaries for these players mocked so high. It won't hurt for a few years but the extensions will look rough if they don't become plus players.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I have to draft a guard who can't shoot, I want one who plays defense.

More to the point, I'm wary of high rookie scale salaries for these players mocked so high. It won't hurt for a few years but the extensions will look rough if they don't become plus players.
    I think most of a player's value lies in their upside tail, so whether they're worth taking a risk on very high is a combination of a) how likely are they to hit their upside? and b) how valuable is that upside tail if it truly hits?

To me, the difference between good and elite matters more in certain archetypes than others. Like I'm more willing to risk a high draft pick busting in hopes of getting an elite big creator or 2 way big than I am on an elite 3 and d wing. ** But I guess that's the entire argument with this draft, known quan y vs upside play.

**Need someone to convince me that Risacher can be more than an elite 3 and d wing aside from "he's 18". Willing to be convinced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think most of a player's value lies in their upside tail, so whether they're worth taking a risk on very high is a combination of a) how likely are they to hit their upside? and b) how valuable is that upside tail if it truly hits?

To me, the difference between good and elite matters more in certain archetypes than others. Like I'm more willing to risk a high draft pick busting in hopes of getting an elite big creator or 2 way big than I am on an elite 3 and d wing. ** But I guess that's the entire argument with this draft, known quan y vs upside play.

**Need someone to convince me that Risacher can be more than an elite 3 and d wing aside from "he's 18". Willing to be convinced.
    This is exactly it. People thought Jabari Smith could turn into Durant or a Paul George archetype. Shot creation is a special skill that shows up early. Folks are trying to fit a square peg into a circle hole and want to throw a top pick at it.

Thread Information