My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, Tim.

So, I looked up the last time someone got a triple double...with BLOCKS. I found it was Clint Capela. with ATLANTA, in 2021. So, I decided to look up some of Capela's highlights and check the guy out.

What I found was a guy who was a dunking machine...and did it with lotsa LOBS...95% of those lobs came from none other than TRAE YOUNG. This is supposed to be a Clint Capela highlight reel, but for me it was a Trae Young Highlight reel.

What could Trae could do with Wemby?

https://youtu.be/lEhyiTp8xq8?si=cG2DKLikSwc_B6EM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Uh oh, here’s your first “forever guy” with Wemby…

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, just wow. Shades of Manu...

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1061464281798995

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it just me or does OP come in with the grades really quick after wins and not so quick after the losses?

I do appreciate the effort and write ups, thank you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i believe tre gets consistently two votes above what he deserves.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i believe tre gets consistently two votes above what he deserves.
    Don't get me started on POP's grades...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also noticed that Pop let Wemby get his 10t block. Game was longe decided then. If I remember correctly, it was similar when Vic got his first triple double. The pre Wemby Pop wouldn't have done this. Nice to see...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll say it because no one will:

On paper, that Raptors team is how a lot of Spurstalkers would construct a team if they had their way. And one would think that team would play a lot better tbh…and it’s not for a lack of trying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WESLEY...CAN'T...MAKE...A FREAKING...LAYUP... NOT...EVEN...CLOSE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Pop didn’t do any special coaching to get the win."

Are you okay?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. It was a very satisfactory win, punctuated by the triple-double. I was one who wished the Spurs to lose and get more cushion on the top 3 draft pick (plus helping squeeze TOR out of 6th place for the 2nd lottery pick), but it’s seldom we see the Spurs dominate their opponent with Wemby’s awesomeness on full display. It helps with his ROTY and even DPOY chances. I’m not complaining with the win.

Happy to see Wesley getting more and more points out there. His defense is stellar, but I like him connecting the 3 and and scoring out there. I’m rooting for this kid to have a great off-season and continue to improve. He has such a high ceiling if ever. If he can practice his shooting, catch and shoot, he could audition for the Danny Green role (plus more). I really like this kid’s POA defense.

Sochan’s defense is another thing I watch for, and again on display last night, plus his aggressiveness cutting and attacking the rim. I’m hoping he can be a mold of Bowen/Kawhi with a sprinkler of Diaw, tough defense, able to hit 3’s and a connector. Getting more stronger and getting more comfortable with his handles and passes as the season progresses.

Keldon, Vassell I know what to expect from them and they were in full display last night. I like them to continually improve their game, Vassell as a 2nd option and giving Wesley open lanes, and Keldon quarterbacking the 2nd unit and not missing the beat.

Osman has fell of the cliff as of late. But I hope with McBucket’s departure from the team would help him get a more consistent role. This guy has Spurs written all-over him, another player I watch to have good game. Another connector and glue out there.

Branham I’m happy to see a double digit score. I hope he continues to score and play better defense.

Great stuff.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering the draft impact, about as bad of a win as you can have this season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Gradey caught his own airball before taking that 10th blocked shot. Shouldn’t that play have been dead? Or did the ball graze the rim/backboard?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These are the teams near Toronto:

4) Charlotte: 12 wins (last 10: 2-8)
    5) Portland: 15 wins (last 10: 3-7)
    6) Memphis: 18 wins (last 10: 1-9)
    7) Toronto: 19 wins (last 10: 3-7)
    8) Brooklyn: 21 wins (last 10: 4-6)
    9) Atlanta: 24 wins (last 10: 6-4)
    10) Houston: 24 wins (last 10: 4-6)

So the ones with a worse record are getting worse, and the ones with a better record are distancing themselves, which should put Toronto comfortably in the 6-8 range, with chances of conveying being 54% / 68.1% / 73.8% respectively. That is the sweet spot, and if it doesn't convey it shouldn't be a catastrophe. You people need to chill.
    Last edited by Ariel; 02-13-2024 at 03:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The greatest thing about Wemby's 10 blocks was that.. I think 7/8 of them just went to the Spurs and not out of bounds. This is Timmy-mode defense. The mark of a great center is when their blocking leads to instant offense. That was what separated Timmy from someone like Howard or Camby or DeAndre Jordan or Whiteside or McGee who could block a lot too but most of it was just ing shots out of bounds. And to see Wemby doing this as a rookie is amazing to watch.

Wemby is so good at 20 that it should scare anyone about what he is going to be capable of. I just hope the Spurs surround him with good talent sooner rather than later. And I am glad that Vassell talks about them as a duo. He knows this isn't the team.. it is about what is going to come.
    Last edited by Spursfanfromafar; 02-13-2024 at 10:23 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The greatest thing about Wemby's 10 blocks was that.. I think 7/8 of them just went to the Spurs and not out of bounds. This is Timmy-mode defense. The mark of a great center is when their blocking leads to instant offense. That was what separated Timmy from someone like Howard or Camby or DeAndre Jordan or Whiteside or McGee who could block a lot too but most of it was just ing shots out of bounds. And to see Wemby doing this as a rookie is amazing to watch.
    Bill Russell has been preaching that since 1958.

Before that someone in Springfield, Mass probably said hey don't swat it away so far, it only helps the opponent.

Agree, good to see Wemby gets it when so many other low iq NBA bigs don't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll say it because no one will:

On paper, that Raptors team is how a lot of Spurstalkers would construct a team if they had their way. And one would think that team would play a lot better tbh…and it’s not for a lack of trying.
    They don’t have a wemby. If you really wanted to be critical you could say this is how people wanted the spurs to be before they blew it all up

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Uh oh, here’s your first “forever guy” with Wemby…
    Devin can barely pass the ball to Wemby without it being a turnover but they going to be a duo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Gradey caught his own airball before taking that 10th blocked shot. Shouldn’t that play have been dead? Or did the ball graze the rim/backboard?
    It's ref's discretion on a shot attempt. You can't pass to yourself, but that was pretty clearly a shot attempt that he happened to catch. The refs all are masters of the psychological aspect of the game and additionally, keep tallies mentally of things like guys going for triple doubles. Game management skills come into play where they can blow the whistle late in the game for something like this ... or not the blow whistle and likely see Vic collect his 10th block, which will be all over the highlight reels and increase the presence of the game/one of it's most popular new players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the ones with a worse record are getting worse, and the ones with a better record are distancing themselves, which should put Toronto comfortably in the 6-8 range, with chances of conveying being 54% / 68.1% / 73.8% respectively. That is the sweet spot, and if it doesn't convey it shouldn't be a catastrophy. You people need to chill.
    Thought Torontos pick is top 6 protected?
    Meaning 6th worst record = does not convey?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not how it works. Your record determines your odds at landing at a given spot within the lottery, Toronto having the 6th worst record would give the pick a 54% chance of landing at 7th or worse, in which case it conveys. Here you can look at the breakdown of the landing spots per record #: https://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you mean the one air balled a finger roll..., then with Wemby right in front of him just under the rim decided to shoot the ball with no jump?

Felt all night Raptors bet on who would score on Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not how it works. Your record determines your odds at landing at a given spot within the lottery, Toronto having the 6th worst record would give the pick a 54% chance of landing at 7th or worse, in which case it conveys. Here you can look at the breakdown of the landing spots per record #: https://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds
    So Spurs are getting Torontos pick no matter what place they finish in?

Thread Information