Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm starting to think Luka is way too heliocentric to win it all. Think of all these ball hogging guards in the past few years: Harden, Westbrook, Trae Young, Lillard, etc. What do they all have in common? Not only they never won it all, their teams are rarely ever true contenders. Outside an odd season here and there, their teams always underperform. The exact same thing is happening to Doncic's Mavericks.

The only guy that has made this heliocentric style work was Lebron, but (1) he's a way better player than the others mentioned and he was elite on D too, and (2) he needed to form superteams (where he took a step back on his helicentric ways) to finally win it all, despite having GOAT level individual talent. And still, one could argue Lebron has underachieved in terms of winning and it might be becuase of this style of play.

There's a discussion to be had here. Luka is still young, but a couple more seasons of his team underperforming and the blame will stop being aimed at the team around him and start being directed at his style of play, imho.
    How old do you think Monostradamus? He has to be a kid right?

the Mavs are in the same position as the Spurs right now, they are not going to win a championship the next couple of years with their current roster. The fans that can be thrilled are OKC’s, young team with an MVP candidate, good role players and a lot of draft capital, they could win a couple in the next 2-10 years.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Friendly reminder that we have Luka, and you don’t

Also Kyrie

And Lively

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs just like the cowboys ain’t winning and fat luka will head back to russia or wherever the hes from.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people taking mono's bait after all these years

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people taking mono's bait after all these years
    can the admin just delete the thread, it'll be a lot faster

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Mono

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mono be like

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I miss mermaids and the asterisk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for losing that last game against us last season on purpose, which got us tied with the Rockets, so we were able to get Wemby and on the Mavs for another decade. Wouldn‘t have been possible without your dumbass franchise

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    LUKA _ONUTCIC AND THE _ALLAS MAV S ARENT WINNIGN THIS YEAR HAHAAHAHA 5 RINGS GOT
    PUSSY ASS BABY BACK !!!! I DON"T EVEN CARE!!!1111!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine if he Mavs didn’t Tyson chandler go. Him and doncic would be rings.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka would average 25pts tops in Pop's system. Pop simply would never allow Luka to average the numbers he's putting up right now, ever. No one outshines Numero Uno on the Spurs, and that's Pop!

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for losing that last game against us last season on purpose, which got us tied with the Rockets, so we were able to get Wemby and on the Mavs for another decade. Wouldn‘t have been possible without your dumbass franchise
    It wouldn't have mattered had the Spurs lost that game with Dallas. The Spurs still would have ended third and had gotten Wemby. They just would have not had the tie breaker which they lost to Houston.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop not allowing anybody to get their numbers/stat pad are now giving us these absolutely imbecilic ramblings as a result:

"No. Tim Duncan was a great player. He arguably had a better career than Kobe. But he was not Kobe. Jordan, Kobe, and LeBron are superstars. They transcended the game. As great as Duncan was, he wasn't that."

It takes 2 seconds to go to Basketball Reference to see that Pop started load managing Tim Duncan's minutes as far back as the 2003-2004 season at only age 27, thus killing his stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop not allowing anybody to get their numbers/stat pad are now giving us these absolutely imbecilic ramblings as a result:

"No. Tim Duncan was a great player. He arguably had a better career than Kobe. But he was not Kobe. Jordan, Kobe, and LeBron are superstars. They transcended the game. As great as Duncan was, he wasn't that."

It takes 2 seconds to go to Basketball Reference to see that Pop started load managing Tim Duncan's minutes as far back as the 2003-2004 season at only age 27, thus killing his stats.
    The pace of the spurs were arguably the bigger culprit in limiting Duncan’s stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wouldn't have mattered had the Spurs lost that game with Dallas. The Spurs still would have ended third and had gotten Wemby. They just would have not had the tie breaker which they lost to Houston.
    you don't seem to understand this: the Spurs were 15th, the Rockets 14th. Spurs won cause Dallas tanked, which means both teams had the same record. The Rockets won the tie-breaker which gave them BETTER odds for the draft. So that made them 2nd in odds and us 3rd. Winning the coin toss means you move up a position in the draft, not down. If we hadn't won the Mavs game Wemby would play for Houston now.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's also a huge argument that it was post first knee injury Duncan and the load management was required as evidenced by the icing of the knees constantly and the giant knee brace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you don't seem to understand this: the Spurs were 15th, the Rockets 14th. Spurs won cause Dallas tanked, which means both teams had the same record. The Rockets won the tie-breaker which gave them BETTER odds for the draft. So that made them 2nd in odds and us 3rd. Winning the coin toss means you move up a position in the draft, not down. If we hadn't won the Mavs game Wemby would play for Houston now.
    The Spurs and the Rockets had the same odds. They just have different assignment of numbers and combinations, and that combination was chosen in the lottery, allowing the Spurs to draft #1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya'll are good but y'all ain't winning a le so whatever
    Pretty much

Not to mention Donkey embarrassed himself in the all-star game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs and the Rockets had the same odds. They just have different assignment of numbers and combinations, and that combination was chosen in the lottery, allowing the Spurs to draft #1.
    which they wouldn't got if they lost the coin toss against the Rockets. Which is exactly what I just said in the post before

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which they wouldn't got if they lost the coin toss against the Rockets. Which is exactly what I just said in the post before
    No. They do not have better odds. The odds are the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. They do not have better odds. The odds are the same.
    odds for the #1 pick are the same, but not the rest. It also changed the lottery position.

Draft Pick San Antonio Houston Detroit
    No. 1 14% 14% 14%
    No. 2 13.4% 13.4% 13.4%
    No. 3 12.7% 12.7% 12.7%
    No. 4 12% 12% 12%
    No. 5 14.8% 27.8% 47.9%
    No. 6 26% 20% --
    No. 7 7% -- --

https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...s-18104097.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    odds for the #1 pick are the same, but not the rest. It also changed the lottery position.

Draft Pick San Antonio Houston Detroit
    No. 1 14% 14% 14%
    No. 2 13.4% 13.4% 13.4%
    No. 3 12.7% 12.7% 12.7%
    No. 4 12% 12% 12%
    No. 5 14.8% 27.8% 47.9%
    No. 6 26% 20% --
    No. 7 7% -- --

https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...s-18104097.php
    We are talking about the odds for the top pick right? the lottery balls are for The top 4. After that it’s all positioning with no lottery balls involved. I mean are we all talking about the odds of landing ausar Thompson now?

Besides the odds for the top 4 picks are the same for the three worst team, not just for the #1 pick.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had they lost the Dallas game it would have put the Spurs in the third position exactly where they ended up when they lost the coin flip with Houston. So it wouldn't have made any difference had they lost to Dallas instead of winning that game in getting Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The pace of the spurs were arguably the bigger culprit in limiting Duncan’s stats.
    True, can't argue this either. And also in our heyday, there were many 20-30 point blowouts in our favor in which the big 3 sat while probably other superstars we're still stat padding.

With all that said, Pop still doesn't really allow players to get big numbers. Tim, Tony, and Manu ALL could've averaged WAY more than they did, but again, too many blowouts as well as Pop's system (and the pace as you said). I think that's ONE of the reasons why Kawhi wanted out (Pop's system doesn't allow big stats). It's still made how he left regardless, but Pop's gotta watch it with Wemby or it could spell bad news as well.

Let Wemby play, at minimum starting next season. You don't have to run him into the ground, but let the kid play 34-35 minutes a game on average.
    Last edited by Barfunk; 02-22-2024 at 12:47 AM.

Thread Information