Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Had 4.7 at 12:32AM today, of course near Karnes City where they have been happening nonstop lately. Including a 4.4 there at 12:20AM preceding this one.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    No earthquake for me at the Medina/Bexar county line.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    In before the "fracking causes quakes" discussion.

I've been at a rest area during a 6.something quake in northern California and not felt it, so it might just be me. I remember in 2011 there was news of a 4.4 hitting San Antonio and I didn't feel that one, either.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Also these ones that happen late at night I sleep through them. I'm not an owl. I generally can sleep through severe thunderstorms as well most of the time as long as it doesn't cut the power.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    In before the "fracking causes quakes" discussion.
    It's obvious when Texas and Oklahoma are having them constantly now

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    It's obvious when Texas and Oklahoma are having them constantly now
    The majority of Oklahoma has always been on a faultline.

You'll never get a 7- or 8- point quake on the Richter scale in OK, but they've had them periodically for millennia. Has to do with the Arbuckle Mountains converging together with the Ozarks to the east.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Also I drive through that purple zone a lot in AR/MO bootheel on the TX -> MI and back route and have never felt anything

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

You'll never get a 7- or 8- point quake on the Richter scale in OK, but they've had them periodically for millennia. Has to do with the Arbuckle Mountains converging together with the Ozarks to the east.
    It's not so much the fracking as it is the pumping of wastewater back into the earth.

Since 2015, the Oklahoma Corporation Commission has been shutting down wastewater disposal wells across the state or cutting wastewater disposal amounts.

“The Oklahoma Corporation Commission has regulated the wastewater disposal situation, and they require them to decrease the injection volume, so this decline in wastewater injections has led to a decrease in the seismicity rate,” Chen said. “It's kind of the same reason causing seismicity to increase that is causing the seismicity to decrease.”

Jacob Walter, Oklahoma seismologist and head of the Oklahoma Geological Survey, said specifically the shutdown and reduced volume of injections into Arbuckle disposal wells has led to the decline in earthquakes.

“Wastewater injection influences the stability of fault zones deep underground,” Walter said. “Fault zones that may not have had any slip on them in recent geologic time might be reactivated because the increased pressure within the fault zone actually alleviates the friction that held those faults stable previously. When that friction is relieved, the fault slips and causes the earthquake.”

There has been past debate about whether or not hydraulic fracking is the cause of earthquakes in Oklahoma, but according to the United States Geological Survey, only 1 to 2 percent of earthquakes in Oklahoma are linked to hydraulic fracking, and the rest are induced by wastewater disposal.

https://www.oudaily.com/news/earthqu...gical%20Survey.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

Gosh by that chart Oklahoma and Texas look just as dangerous a place to be in as California. The fault line(s) must be just like the San Andreas!

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Gosh by that chart Oklahoma and Texas look just as dangerous a place to be in as California. The fault line(s) must be just like the San Andreas!
    Are you colorblind or something? The severe zones that cause major earthquakes, the ones that cause massive fatalities, billions in property damage, massive fires all over etc are in purple... the 8.0 and above potential zones for the Richter scale. Only the Pacific coast states, the big island of Hawaii, (Yellowstone area if it becomes active), New Madrid, and that pocket in SC near Charleston have that worry.

A bunch of hydraulic fracking will never cause a 5.0 or greater quake.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    And most of the light blue zones are only regarding potential distal impact, not necessarily epicenters. As in, say, a New Madrid 8.x quake can be felt at a smaller scale all the way up into Southern Michigan and Milwaukee, or as far south as New Orleans.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    why would anyone care to argue if this is or isn't fracking, as if humans arent ing up this planet beyond repair for livability requirements

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    why would anyone care to argue if this is or isn't fracking, as if humans arent ing up this planet beyond repair for livability requirements
    This

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I mean I care if it is because if it is, I'd like it to stop.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    dont worry it will stop when the inevitable happens and a load of people die

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Yellowstone exploding would be a nice thing. Especially if there's a strong wind from the east (unusual, but not impossible, maybe in the summertime and coinciding with a CONUS hurricane landfall).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Why would it stop? Human life is one of the cheapest things in America.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Why would it stop? Human life is one of the cheapest things in America.
    Yeah it will still depend on a cost matrix if paying out for lives lost is still cheaper than continuing fracking

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We'd all like it to stop, I was talking more about the people doubting that we're ing the planet. But to respond to you, pollution of this planet won't stop until the west falls, it's on its way, but the damage is done tbh. The class struggle will continue to worsen as global warming damages poor communities first. It's already happening, been happening... but of course no major outlets care to bring real attention to the global environmental disasters with the major news being controlled by the people creating the problems. People are too stupid to see the problems with "capitalism." They'll keep telling us the problems are solvable with reusable straws... I mean, people still think recycling is a real thing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Are you colorblind or something? The severe zones that cause major earthquakes, the ones that cause massive fatalities, billions in property damage, massive fires all over etc are in purple... the 8.0 and above potential zones for the Richter scale. Only the Pacific coast states, the big island of Hawaii, (Yellowstone area if it becomes active), New Madrid, and that pocket in SC near Charleston have that worry.

A bunch of hydraulic fracking will never cause a 5.0 or greater quake.
    I haven't caught up but Blake was being sarcastic. It's likely caused by fracking.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    We'd all like it to stop, I was talking more about the people doubting that we're ing the planet. But to respond to you, pollution of this planet won't stop until the west falls, it's on its way, but the damage is done tbh. The class struggle will continue to worsen as global warming damages poor communities first. It's already happening, been happening... but of course no major outlets care to bring real attention to the global environmental disasters with the major news being controlled by the people creating the problems. People are too stupid to see the problems with "capitalism." They'll keep telling us the problems are solvable with reusable straws... I mean, people still think recycling is a real thing.
    Yeah the West is a huge part, maybe the hugest, but if "the west falls" the happening all over the globe needs to stop too to have any hope of reversing or slowing the damage done.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Given the timeframe of geological events compared to the length of widespread fracking and how these risk factors are actually calculated as opposed to your wishcasting, all I see ere is you poorly understanding data and waving your hands.

You sure like the copy and paste baffle them with bull . Cuts through your own.

Thread Information