Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s really nothing salvageable on this team other than Wemby. There are decent pieces such as Vassell but I don’t think he fits with Wemby.

There’s really just two groups of players: trade or cut

Tradable players are:

sochan (some people probably still might not know he sucks yet)
    vassell (he’s worth two second round picks to a team looking for a Tim Haraway clone)
    jones (someone might mistake him for his better brother and give up a second rounder for him)

The rest of the team is the trash pile and should be cut and burned safely.

We are all stuck watching this god-awful product because the spurs are just terrible terrible drafters. Let’s look at the 2022 draft.

At 9 they drafted Sochan when they could have had a star in Jalen Williams. On the bright side at least they didn’t draft Johnny Davis.

At 20 they drafted Branham when they could have Walter Kessler. But instead they had already signed Zollins. So mistake on top of mistake.

At 25 they drafted Wesley when they could have drafted Nicola Jokic. But at least they didn’t draft Wesley - oh never mind.

Pick 38 was their very best pick this year, the pick they traded away for cash, good ole cash!

Anyway, just wanted to say this team is going to suck until they change management and coaching. They need to sign some young and fresh GMs and coaches and start fresh. Until then they will be one of the worst teams in the league. Everything about this team feels old and dated to the core.
    Those young fresh GM is also a terrible drafter compared to guys on forum with hindsight.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with ur “2 off-season” timeline and again my point was that they went a bit radical in their strategy. I for ex don’t understand the absence of veterans more than anything else. It leads me to think PATFO thought it wasn’t an necessity and/or that the staff could compensate it.
    There’s a sort of lack of humility in their strategy, it’s never been done ever that way and their narrative is basically “we’re doing the logical/smart thing…” when there’s no reference of development without veterans for ex.

as for what should they have done last summer, I don’t have names in mind and it’s not my job but it wasn’t about going for Lillard at all but more a profile like Brogdon for ex
    I get the (reasonable) handicap on Wemby to force him work on his fundamentals instead of just going for lobs, but we’re in a situation where the roster is so bad that he can’t even get simple passes as we again saw yesterday.

How is spending his time screening making him a better player?

There’s levels and PATFO went too extreme
    I believe they went after Brook, but he was just using HOU/SAS to get that offer from MIL. He was perfect cause he can shoot 3 with volume. They are allergic to guard creators, either cause they don't want anybody dictating how Wemby plays or they just want as much creation reps out there up for grabs. Maybe it pays off, maybe not. Wings and Big are the ideal creators now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not going to lie, it has been outright painful to watch the spurs of late. I can handle the losses, but the lack of compe iveness is pitiful. Simply taking care of the ball would give them a chance to compete, but when you turn the ball over nine times in a quarter, you don't even give yourself a chance. being behind by 20 midway through the second quarter is just horrid.

I am trying to make sense of how a year ago they were a "better" team without Wemby and it is puzzling to me except maybe that teams get up for them due to Wemby, whereas last year teams just didn't care. Mix in some of the terrible rotations and Colins struggling most of the year and it starts to make sense.

I'm going to keep watching and hoping for another Toronto style game.
    I hate the turnovers also. This team is one of the leaders in team assists. They move the ball around, but inexperience mainly. It takes time for the youngest team of the NBA to learn the plays and the personnel, but it should get there through practice. And you’re right, teams get up for Wemby trying to dispell the hype, compare to last year with everyone unknown.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do u guys think of Brogdon as a Vet + PG cheaper more complete solution than Trae even if less impactfull on offense?

Do you think Portland would be open to a trade?

He really fits the profile and timming imo

Believe.
    Post Count
    Those young fresh GM is also a terrible drafter compared to guys on forum with hindsight.
    well I was one who said Wemby would be beyond elite his first year and that we should try to surround him with vets this year to try to make a playoff run and not waste one of his precious years but management (and most of this forum) thought they should develop these trash draft picks and see what we have.

well we did that and now we know we have nothing but trash. Should we bring em back next year and try again? Maybe we’ll get different results by doing the same thing next year. These guys can’t possibly be as bad next year right? Maybe Wesley will be able to finish and sochan will make three pointers? Let’s just run it back with Wemby. He won’t mind if lose 60+ games again. What’s the rush. Let’s just develop the outta this team. No reason to trade or get vets. That would be forcing things and god forbid we do that!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we didn't have Wemby then by all means we keep hitting the draft , but we got lucky and got a generational all pro player. Continuing to doing nothing to improve the team and hoping that we still have luck to strike gold again and improve through draft is silly and stupid.

We have a bunch of picks that can be used as leverage for trades , hoarding them will not gain much in return unless we somehow get lucky again but what is the chances of that?

Do yall really have faith in our current GM for drafting the right talent? The track record the past few years seems to be pointing towards not so great results.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we didn't have Wemby then by all means we keep hitting the draft , but we got lucky and got a generational all pro player. Continuing to doing nothing to improve the team and hoping that we still have luck to strike gold again and improve through draft is silly and stupid.

We have a bunch of picks that can be used as leverage for trades , hoarding them will not gain much in return unless we somehow get lucky again but what is the chances of that?

Do yall really have faith in our current GM for drafting the right talent? The track record the past few years seems to be pointing towards not so great results.
    What pick we developed has underperformed their draft slot?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It actually seems like the starters do well most games, and then the bench comes in and it all goes to . At least that's my perception when I watch the games. I don't have the numbers with me off hand, but I have to wonder how much of a difference it'd make just to replace Collins, Branham, Wesley, and Champagnie with solid bench guys or replacement level vets. I suspect that'd take us from an 11 win team to a 25 win team almost instantly, which suggests that the long term core of this team may not be as bad as what it looks like and that our issues this year are fixable.

Thread Information