Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been a Spurs fan for over 2 decades now. Like many of us, I've been spoiled by the beautiful, poetic, high level of basketball the spurs use to play. Man I miss those days! This season has been really painful to watch. Of course the only thing that's stopping me from turning of the tv wemby.

I completely understand that this team is young and learning but man last year's team was tanking and was better than this team. I don't think we were planning tanking this year. The level of IQ being displayed by some of the players who are in their 3rd or 4th year is shocking.
    • Keldon has taken a step backward this year. Keldon's energy is great but his offensive game, defensive game and bball IQ has stalled.
    • I'm really surprised why Champagne is on the court. He does not right. He's not making shots, can't create for himself or others, defense sucks, freakin he can't even make a simple pass to a 7'4 guy.
    • Vassel's offensive game has grown but he's such a one dimensional player. He looks for his own shot first, he makes so many bad decisions on offense. The way he's developing, his game won't fit Wemby's.
    • Sochan's offensive game is limited but man I love watching him play defense. Its a beauty to see him lock players on defense.
    • Wesley is slowly gaining his confidence back and growing. I always thought that Wesley is a better prospect than branham.
    • other guys like Collins, Branham, Osman we know they are not in the long term plans of the Spurs so they are not worth discussing

I understand that most of these guys won't be on the team next year. Hopefully the team next season is just smarter than this team. We can see how badly Wemby wants to win. Right now he's buying into the "Process" but the last thing Spurs want is a frustrated generational talent.

Sorry for my rant. I just needed this to get it off my chest lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. FO should be embarrassed about the product they're putting on the court

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand that most of these guys won't be on the team next year. Hopefully the team next season is just smarter than this team. We can see how badly Wemby wants to win. Right now he's buying into the "Process" but the last thing Spurs want is a frustrated generational talent.
    Hate to break it to you but I expect everyone but Mamu, Graham, and Osman back. Keldon is only gone if say they make a trade for Trae Young this summer (in which case Collins would be too for matching salary). Short of a big trade though next year is going to be this year's team plus a rookie or two and some boderline vet filling the Osman role. Hopefully they'll at least win 30-35 games but I don't see any way they're not in the lottery again next year hoping to get Cooper Flagg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100%. This season is the biggest let-down in Spurs history (post #1 draft pick). NO coach, literally NONE, would be in the driver's seat this long into the season other than Pop. He's clearly abused his position.

Worst part - there's no light at the end of the tunnel with how mid this draft is, and the Spurs never want to spend money they don't have to. We're in the midst of a tragedy, that I hope is only one season long but will likely extend for several. And many of the losers on this board are big fans of that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate to break it to you but I expect everyone but Mamu, Graham, and Osman back. Keldon is only gone if say they make a trade for Trae Young this summer (in which case Collins would be too for matching salary). Short of a big trade though next year is going to be this year's team plus a rookie or two and some boderline vet filling the Osman role. Hopefully they'll at least win 30-35 games but I don't see any way they're not in the lottery again next year hoping to get Cooper Flagg.
    That would be a tragedy! I really hope they don't do that to Wemby and the fans. This organization is not like Charlotte or Washington. The fans won't take mediocrity.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you watch this team early in the year with Sochan playing point and Zack Collins starting/getting major minutes off the bench? That was an absolute train wreck. This is at least somewhat compe ive (notwithstanding Collins continuing to get minutes for some unknown reason).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just don't watch. No one's requiring you to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a team with bottom of the barrel talent outside of Wemby running outdated schemes. They should be way farther along than what they're showing now even with the Wemby tank and this year's "tank."

There are definitely real questions on whether a pretty substandard GM can build a playoff team, let alone contender, around a generational talent. This upcoming draft is huge and so will the coaching decision looming in a year or two.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be a tragedy! I really hope they don't do that to Wemby and the fans. This organization is not like Charlotte or Washington. The fans won't take mediocrity.
    They're kind of stuck there with Anunoby off the market. He's the guy I desperately wanted to sign but he has made it pretty clear he's staying in NYC. Plus the Raptors have RFA rights on Quickley, so he's off the table too. The FA class this year is mostly old guys like LeBron, James Harden, PG13, etc that aren't of much use to the Spurs. I guess they could sign Tyus Jones to be starting PG which would be a small upgrade over his brother or maybe overpay Malik Monk to miss shots when the team can't run an offense. But I'd expect the same team back next season for the most part.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It probably is time for RC to step back into role of GM in some capacity. Promote Wright out of the position. Sorry - you really shouldn’t be turning over your franchise to a guy who only knows losing.

They cannot ing around with the next draft and off-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a ing fan. He can still watch and moan at what's on the court, you dumb mothe er

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then spending 3-4 more years hoping a Risacher or a Cooper (that is if you get them, which you have little statistical chances to) develop so maybe you start winning games in 2028?

No way Wemby accepts that, or anybody for that matter. Wants to lose your fanbase, media attention, sponsors, respect.... sure, waste Wemby 3 or 4 years of his career trying to develop role players... Anybody really believe Wemby and Trae flirting in the ASG is totally fortuitus? They were ofc (like we were) aware of rumors about spurs calling ATL to test the waters for Trae (true or not). Just like the knew (ofc) those pictures would be seen and Vic read Pop ITV in L'Equipe...

Wemby sending signs to the spurs... "I'm ready to dominate folks, no way I'm wasting 3-4 year of my career and stats "pounding the rock" with these role players. Give me a real team and I'm breaking that freaking rock before soon".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're kind of stuck there with Anunoby off the market. He's the guy I desperately wanted to sign but he has made it pretty clear he's staying in NYC. Plus the Raptors have RFA rights on Quickley, so he's off the table too. The FA class this year is mostly old guys like LeBron, James Harden, PG13, etc that aren't of much use to the Spurs. I guess they could sign Tyus Jones to be starting PG which would be a small upgrade over his brother or maybe overpay Malik Monk to miss shots when the team can't run an offense. But I'd expect the same team back next season for the most part.
    nah, monk would be really good, but he's gonna have a lot of suitors

45/37/82 is fine efficiency for a guy like him who plays on-ball. his assist rate is quite good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a discussion forum, so we should be able to discuss the good and bad.

Like OP, I'm only still watching because of Wemby...and that has been highly entertaining even when we are losing games left and right. That said, it's impossible to watch without noticing the glaring weaknesses the team has as currently constructed.

It's really hard to point out a lot of promising things to this current Spurs squad other than Vassell coming into his own as a second scorer (though streaky and with room for growth). Jones is doing alright but what we are seeing is probably close to his ceiling, and Sochan is getting it together now that the rattle-brained PG experiment is over.

Other than that, I am just constantly disappointed by guys like KJ, Collins, Branham, Osman, Champagnie, etc...and that is frustrating.

My biggest concern is that all of this losing starts taking its toll on Wemby. He obviously cares about winning and is visibly frustrated with the current state of affairs. We all knew this was going to be a process but Spurs better find a way to start winning more games next season or they risk alienating their future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re watchable most nights, but last night was a stinking turd in the punch bowl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Historically, they churned more than that. If you look at the how they retooled in 2000-2003 and again 2008-2013 they did churn the bottom of the roster as you describe above but they also made many more moves at the top of the roster.

Some worked out like Bowen and Ferry. Others did not like Smith or Anderson.

Spurs also make these moves out of left field all the time so not being able to see it ourselves is not a valid basis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    really glad i missed yesterday's game. was at disneyland all day. apparently all i needed to see was Wemby's highlight summary videos on youtube and was able to do that without sitting through the rest of the crap

there have been a number of these stinkers this season, early on against clippers, knicks, pacers, etc. but most of the games have been watchable. with that said, if im watching the game on league pass after the fact, i tend to fast forward pretty liberally through the sections where wemby is off the court

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apply that logic to your constant ing and moaning around here tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Historically, they churned more than that. If you look at the how they retooled in 2000-2003 and again 2008-2013 they did churn the bottom of the roster as you describe above but they also made many more moves at the top of the roster.

Some worked out like Bowen and Ferry. Others did not like Smith or Anderson.

Spurs also make these moves out of left field all the time so not being able to see it ourselves is not a valid basis.
    theres also the roster spot vacated by McDermott now being temporarily occupied by Morris (ive been expecting barlow to get a multiyear deal low on guarantees to fill that spot once the morris situation is resolved).

yes, the spurs have a history of churn, but this year its simply an issue of not having more contracts set to expire this offseason. they're going to have to aggressively trade away players to free up space if they want to churn more than what BB described.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that said, if im watching the game on league pass after the fact, i tend to fast forward pretty liberally through the sections where wemby is off the court
    When Barlow gets the backup minutes I still watch when Wemby checks out but as soon as Collins is in that .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, the team is rebuilding. We just happened to hit our generational prospect the first time out. Be thankful for that.

Otherwise, ing about a rebuilding team is kind of pointless. They're going to be better faster than most other teams in their cir stances. Be patient.

And stop ing ing about players who are 20 years old. Jesus Christ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, the team is rebuilding. We just happened to hit our generational prospect the first time out. Be thankful for that.

Otherwise, ing about a rebuilding team is kind of pointless. They're going to be better faster than most other teams in their cir stances. Be patient.

the frustration is the step back that a number of players have taken. with or without wemby, its fair to expect internal improvement from young players, not internal regression

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the frustration is the step back that a number of players have taken. with or without wemby, its fair to expect internal improvement from young players, not internal regression
    KJ and Collins have regressed. Who else?

Wemby has improved consistently. I think Wesley, Jones, Champagnie, and Sochan are playing better.

We taking issue with Branham busting?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a ing fan. He can still watch and moan at what's on the court, you dumb mothe er
    tbh...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, the team is rebuilding.
    True.

We just happened to hit our generational prospect the first time out. Be thankful for that.
    We got him because PATFO was incompetent for years. Yes, they did tank on purpose last season, but their every move since nephew storm has been a disaster.
    Coaching, contracts, trades, draft, you name it. There were way more bad than good moves.
    Still, they got lucky yet again, but if they don't get their together, they will waste Wemby.

Otherwise, ing about a rebuilding team is kind of pointless.
    Win percentage isn't the most important thing, but if more or less the entire roster except for Wemby is unusable going forward, we have every right to and moan.

They're going to be better faster than most other teams in their cir stances. Be patient.
    The only team with more consecutive seasons in the lottery are the Hornets.
    Spurs are tied with Pistons.

DJ and Derrick were the last great picks Spurs made.

Since then, Spurs had the following first round picks:
    2018: 18th pick Lonnie - not on the roster, barely an NBA player at 25.
    2019: 19th pick Samanic - not an NBA player, 29th pick Keldon - very good selection considering the position, but he's developed into a tank commander. Useless for serious teams.
    2020: 11th pick Vassell - very good pick, the only positive player on the roster except for Wemby, but on his current level he's not worth 30 million a year, not even close.
    2021: 12th pick Primo - even if he wasn't an exhibitionist, it was an awful pick.
    2022: 9th pick Sochan - the jury is still out, but Spurs missed on a lot of obviously better players, 20th Branham and 25th Wesley are both not NBA players and Spurs missed on even more good prospects.

TL; DR
    Out of the last 8 FRPs, 5 are unquestionable failures, two are decent and one is good.
    Once upon a time Spurs were considered to be the best franchise at finding prospects and kept pulling great players out of their ass, not just in draft.

Then we move onto all the 50 Mills contracts, trading for the biggest loser in the league and refusing to accept there's no way to compete anymore.
    Not to mention all the ridiculously bad lineups, Forbes starting for two straight seasons and all the Mills-Forbes-Belinelli nonsense we had to endure while supposedly trying to win games.
    Just last summer they give Zach ing Collins 16 million a year as if teams were lining up to sign him.

I'm all for patience and development, it was the Spurs way, but please do enlighten me why would I trust PATFO in it's current state?
    Which aspect of their work gives you confidence?
    Managing contracts?
    Trades?
    Drafting?
    Player development?
    Coaching? Which other coach in history of any team sport was patient at the age of 75?
    Because from my perspective, ever since nephew bent them over, it's been nothing short of a disaster.
    Getting lucky with 14% odds doesn't change that.
    What would happen if they didn't get Wemby? We'd legit be a 5 win team this season, worse than Process Sixers and that Bobcats team.

You've got countless examples in world of sports where all-time great serial winners didn't realize when it's enough and ended up running the teams they created into the ground.
    This season is over, but if Spurs don't get at least 35 wins next season, everyone has to go. Clear out every individual who has anything to do with basketball operations.

Thread Information