Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it would take a top 3 pick plus the Raps pick and probably our Dallas swap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if Ainge was willing to discuss Lauri (who my guess would actually cost more than Trae), he doesn't trade with anyone without absolutely abusing and taking advantage of them. Approach with caution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a more interesting way to look at this for me is if you landed #1 or #2, can you find another team in the top 6 or so who are so enamored with a top pick that they'll swap you and give you an additional interesting asset for the trouble. Say you land #1 again and Detroit falls to #5 again... would they be willing to Swap #1 and the CHA pick for #5 and Ivey? Probably not, but something along those lines.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it would take a top 3 pick plus the Raps pick and probably our Dallas swap.
    It would take way more than that

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah if you could get Lauri for even close to a top 3 pick overall, league is ed.

Option 1: Do the Trae young trade. Devin Vassell is now your 4th best player moving forward. Championship(s).

Option 2: Trae Young costs more than you expected? Go slow and steady. Draft Sheppard or Dilly this year, and use the Hawks picks moving forward on high end 2 way forwards. Hugo Gonzalez, Drake Powell, take your pick. You now have a young supersized version of OKCs dribble-pass-shoot x 5 lineup and you're in contention for the next decade.

I don't even think I'd care which approach was taken, I'd be more worried that Ainge had a stroke.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A top 3 pick in this draft alone wouldn't get any of those players and of the names being bandied about and only Cunningham and Murphy (they'd need to add though) arguably make sense anyway.

I remain steadfast on Risacher if they land top 2-3 and he's available. Otherwise, if they land top 2-3 and Sarr is, trade the pick for either a good, young veteran or move back a few spots, pick up more future draft capital and select Sheppard.

If they're outside the top 3, just select Sheppard with the natural pick over any of these flawed wings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd entertain trading down if Spurs get a top 2 pick. Sarr is overrated and doesn't fit what the Spurs need.

Two of:

- Cody Williams
    - Zach Risacher
    - Reed Sheppard
    - Rob Dillingham
    - Tidjane Salaun.

Id prefer Cody Williams and Reed Sheppard.
    I've been of the same mind lately, hoping for a Cody/Shepperd draft. Williams probably would be fine at #2

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A top 3 pick might be enough to get Darius Garland if Mitc signals that he's willing to stay because they will get very very expensive

Garland is like a homeless Trae Young but still making $40 million a year, maybe what, 4 years 163 left or something close

6-1, turns the ball over a bunch.

But the Spurs would get to hold onto their precious Atlanta picks which might not even be in the lottery

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trey Murphy isn't nearly good enough to give up Sarr for. Wouldn't trade the Toronto pick for him either.
    I liked your idea of trading for Mikal Bridges but I would still keep Sarr if the Spurs have a chance to get him.

Send NJ a package including the Toronto pick for Bridges.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only way I could see getting Bridges would be if the Spurs got the #1 or #2 pick and then they'd have to trade it in addition to one of the Atlanta picks and the Chicago pick minimum. Otherwise they'd be better off trading with Houston if they're willing to let Bridges go.
    Which is why the Spurs would have to give up Keldon Johnson. He has value for an energy wing and a cap friendly contract. The Rockets aren't giving up any young talent for Bridges except for Eason or probably Whitmore. And Jalen Green is overrated. And the Rockets aren't giving up any picks either, they have limited ones after the Westbrook trade, haven't they?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good lord, if the #3 overall is all it took to get Lauri this year you pull the trigger on that no questions asked. Ainge would have to get checked for brain damage if he accepted that.
    It's actually the other way around, anybody who would give up the number 3 pick for Lauri needs to be fired asap. People act like he didn't spend the first 5 years of his career averaging 15 and 6. He only took an offensive leap in Utah because they don't care about winning so their is no pressure there. The second he goes back to playing on a team that is actually trying to win something, he going to go back to being Chicago Lauri, who did a bunch of nothing.

I thought this was understood but I guess not, you should always be wary of players who spent years being okay to bad on teams that were actually trying to win...rather they did or not, but then as soon as they go to a team with no aspirations of winning they all of a sudden explode offensively. That reeks of players who can't play under pressure. And playing in SA with Victor going forward is going to be full of pressure. He has been anointed the next great one and the next face of the league, which means the expectation is that Victor wins at the highest level possible, which means his teammates are expected to play well as the highest level possible.

Lauri also only has 1 more year left on his deal and is then a UFA. Meaning if you trade for him you better be ready to offer him a max or near max money. Who the is doing that when they can have the number 3 pick at great cost value for 4 years?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft Rasacher or Topic. Don’t over complicate it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we get a top 3 pick it should be Risacher, Topic, or Buzelis. If we get the 7-10 pick it should be Dilly, Salaun, Shephard, JaKobe, Collier, Castle, or Knecht. (Depending on other moves)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's actually the other way around, anybody who would give up the number 3 pick for Lauri needs to be fired asap. People act like he didn't spend the first 5 years of his career averaging 15 and 6. He only took an offensive leap in Utah because they don't care about winning so their is no pressure there. The second he goes back to playing on a team that is actually trying to win something, he going to go back to being Chicago Lauri, who did a bunch of nothing.

I thought this was understood but I guess not, you should always be wary of players who spent years being okay to bad on teams that were actually trying to win...rather they did or not, but then as soon as they go to a team with no aspirations of winning they all of a sudden explode offensively. That reeks of players who can't play under pressure. And playing in SA with Victor going forward is going to be full of pressure. He has been anointed the next great one and the next face of the league, which means the expectation is that Victor wins at the highest level possible, which means his teammates are expected to play well as the highest level possible.

Lauri also only has 1 more year left on his deal and is then a UFA. Meaning if you trade for him you better be ready to offer him a max or near max money. Who the is doing that when they can have the number 3 pick at great cost value for 4 years?
    This is a bold ass take, and we will have to agree to disagree here. I guess I see the fit of a 7 foot movement shooting big with unique skill for his size as really the ideal front court pairing next to Wemby. Surround that pairing with shooting and defense and you've got a ready made contender. That to me is easily worth a top 3 pick in a weak draft, or the equivalent of a top 10 pick in a normal draft as I don't think the expected value of a guy like Risacher comes close to Lauri.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a bold ass take, and we will have to agree to disagree here. I guess I see the fit of a 7 foot movement shooting big with unique skill for his size as really the ideal front court pairing next to Wemby. Surround that pairing with shooting and defense and you've got a ready made contender. That to me is easily worth a top 3 pick in a weak draft, or the equivalent of a top 10 pick in a normal draft as I don't think the expected value of a guy like Risacher comes close to Lauri.
    The problem is real life isn't like nba2k and you have to factor in other things besides a players skillset. Laura has one more year left on his deal and then he is a free agent. He is going to command max or near max money. You are going to be looking at something around a a 4 year 160 million dollar contract if you want to keep him. So would you rather have the number 3 pick, or would you rather have Lauri at around 40 million dollars a year? Unless your in win now mode, like the Warriors were when they should have flipped the number 2 pick for another star player, it doesn't make much sense to trade a pick that high for a player you going to have to pay a ton of money to.

And I don't really feed into the "weak draft" stuff. You never know how good an nba player will be until he plays in the nba.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we get a top 3 pick it should be Risacher, Topic, or Buzelis. If we get the 7-10 pick it should be Dilly, Salaun, Shephard, JaKobe, Collier, Castle, or Knecht. (Depending on other moves)
    Sarr or Risacher with the Spurs pick.

Don't want a one dimensional player like Sheppard.

Looks to be a solid shooter with little else in his game. Just going to be a player coming off the bench for shooting and that is not worth a top ten draft pick.

Watching his highlights he isn't big enough 6'2"/ small wing span , doesn't look very explosive to the rim - lacks quickness, will have a hard time doing much more than shooting a 3 point shot at the NBA level.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Markkanen and Cade would easily be worth it. Jazz would do it IMO, he’s on an expiring contract after this season.

Lauri and then a Top 8 pick, ffs we would be back.

Believe.
    Post Count

Looks to be a solid shooter with little else in his game. Just going to be a player coming off the bench for shooting and that is not worth a top ten draft pick.

Watching his highlights he isn't big enough 6'2"/ small wing span , doesn't look very explosive to the rim - lacks quickness, will have a hard time doing much more than shooting a 3 point shot at the NBA level.
    one dimensional? You should go watch that Kentucky vs Miss St game that’s on espn on demand right now. He’s way way more than one dimensional. He got a game saving block (against a jump shot) right at the end of the game. Then made a clutch floater to win the game. Kid can pass, shoot best in draft, playmakes and initiates, rarely turns it over, is a clear leader on the court and even is a good rebounder. I honestly see Steve Nash when I watch him play. A true basketball savant. Watch the whole game and report back. You won’t learn about a player watching just highlights.

Believe.
    Post Count
    One player for trade I haven’t seen mentioned here is Ingram. If NO gets eliminated from the playoffs I expect he’ll probably get the boot in the off-season. Their roster salary is getting outta control and they really need to change up their roster. So I think he will really be available. Would anyone be interested in him? I think he would be a really good fit next to Wemby no?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can wait for Murphy one extra Year. Pels 99.000.000 for 3 players plus 3 with RC Only and Ingram New Deal on top. Can be easy via overpaying

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I had Shephard with the Toronto pick, not our 1st. Having said that, he's not one dimensional. There's a reason the ball was in his hands at the end of the msu game. He got into the lane and scored the winning floater against one of the best collegiate defenses. When they put him in at pg down 13 he's the guy who brought them back. There's alot more to his game than just hitting 3's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The chance is Risacher is better than Murphy is pretty high, the chance Cody Williams or Buzelis is better than Murphy is pretty high.
    Trey Murphy is just coming off a meniscus surgery so his numbers took a hit this season, but just last year he was averaging 14.5 points on 48.4 / 40.6 / 90.5 splits, that's extremely efficient scoring with very good defense to go along, he's a legit starting caliber SF on a winning team, and as a 23 y.o archetypical 3&D wing who stands at 6'8" wiithout shoes , that is a hot commodity in the league. And while it's true he might not be a star, he's better than just about anybody the Spurs currently have, with the possible exception of Vassell (debatable). If that is Risacher's floor, then you take him at whatever pick the Spurs land, no questions asked, but I'm not sold yet (hope you're right though). As for Williams and Buzelis, they're nowhere near Trey in terms of defense and shooting, they have much more potential as playmakers and creating their own offense, but I don't think it's a given they'll be better than he is. Again, I said it would be a framework that would include other assets, so it'd probably be him plus a pick (Lakers' 24/25?) or player (Hawkins?), but the Spurs don't have legit starting caliber players at the moment other than Wemby and Vassell, and could do a lot worse than to come off the draft with a couple legit starting caliber players in order to field an actual NBA caliber starting 5 next season. But if there's confidence that the available prospects have that floor, all the better (I'm not there yet).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trey Murphy is just coming off a meniscus surgery so his numbers took a hit this season, but just last year he was averaging 14.5 points on 48.4 / 40.6 / 90.5 splits, that's extremely efficient scoring with very good defense to go along, he's a legit starting caliber SF on a winning team, and as a 23 y.o archetypical 3&D wing who stands at 6'8" wiithout shoes , that is a hot commodity in the league. And while it's true he might not be a star, he's better than just about anybody the Spurs currently have, with the possible exception of Vassell (debatable). If that is Risacher's floor, then you take him at whatever pick the Spurs land, no questions asked, but I'm not sold yet (hope you're right though). As for Williams and Buzelis, they're nowhere near Trey in terms of defense and shooting, they have much more potential as playmakers and creating their own offense, but I don't think it's a given they'll be better than he is. Again, I said it would be a framework that would include other assets, so it'd probably be him plus a pick (Lakers' 24/25?) or player (Hawkins?), but the Spurs don't have legit starting caliber players at the moment other than Wemby and Vassell, and could do a lot worse than to come off the draft with a couple legit starting caliber players in order to field an actual NBA caliber starting 5 next season. But if there's confidence that the available prospects have that floor, all the better (I'm not there yet).
    This season, Trey Murphy is a net negative on defense and barely above replacement on offense, according to EPM. His earned wins are around 1.7, barely 65th percentile. He isn't any great shakes (42.4, 35.2, 77.8 this season...meh..)and if he did that periods of outstanding shooting numbers last year, that wasn't a trend and more of a flash. He is nowhere close to Vassell, who is nearly 80th percentile on both offense and defense. Vassell is now clearly the second best player on the Spurs and is the only Spur apart from Wemby to have a net positive EPM on defense and offense.

A look at 538's Raptor for 2021-22 and 2022-23, shows that Murphy improved from a mediocre rookie season to a decent sop re season but if you take the 2023-24 season in account, he has regressed.

Check it out - https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...layer-ratings/

If at all the Spurs are keen on having him on board, he should be had for second round picks ..not a FRP and certainly not multiple FRPs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This season, Trey Murphy is a net negative on defense and barely above replacement on offense, according to EPM. His earned wins are around 1.7, barely 65th percentile. He isn't any great shakes (42.4, 35.2, 77.8 this season...meh..)and if he did that periods of outstanding shooting numbers last year, that wasn't a trend and more of a flash. He is nowhere close to Vassell, who is nearly 80th percentile on both offense and defense. Vassell is now clearly the second best player on the Spurs and is the only Spur apart from Wemby to have a net positive EPM on defense and offense.

A look at 538's Raptor for 2021-22 and 2022-23, shows that Murphy improved from a mediocre rookie season to a decent sop re season but if you take the 2023-24 season in account, he has regressed.

Check it out - https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...layer-ratings/

If at all the Spurs are keen on having him on board, he should be had for second round picks ..not a FRP and certainly not multiple FRPs.
    Like I said, he's JUST COMING OFF A MENISCUS SURGERY, so I'd expect him to take a while before he gets back to where he was last year. I can understand the hesitancy until he gets back to the level he was playing at last year, but to think he could be had for a 2nd round pick is just ridiculous.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said, he's JUST COMING OFF A MENISCUS SURGERY, so I'd expect him to take a while before he gets back to where he was last year. I can understand the hesitancy until he gets back to the level he was playing at last year, but to think he could be had for a 2nd round pick is just ridiculous.
    Kind of a leap of faith to just assume he'll get back to his previous form after a meniscus tear when guys like Brandon Roy and Chris Webber were never the same after their tears. Even Tim was quite a bit less athletic after his tear.

Thread Information