Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely. I don't trust a single thing that gets posted on ESPN that doesn't have a statistical/demonstrable basis in reality. None of it.

It doesn't mean that the quote I posted is true, either, and I don't think Wemby is going to wait until 2030 for the Spurs to get good, but ffs people have been on this since before the ASB. It's ludicrous. And ESPN will 100% force this story if it will drive clicks -- and the most hyped rookie the game has seen since LeBron is already a commercial force.
    Who does Adrian Wojnarowski work for? You don't trust any of his reporting?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a good, interesting point and may be a source of conflict. Pop has a different timeline than Wemby, by simple virtue of where they are in their careers. Pop may view this long process that culminates another NBA le, whereas Wemby sees a future with multiple les over his career. Wemby likely has 4+ les as his goal, based on the standards he sets for himself otherwise. He doesn't merely want to be one of the greats, he wants to be THE greatest. So taking 7-years to win his first may not align with Wemby's vision, whereas it may be just fine for Pop.

Of course, all just speculation.
    Agree with this wholeheartedly. This can only be the year we tank during the Wemby years and only to get him a wing man capable of putting in work.

I just watched a Jonathon Simmons mixtape today and realized his 2016-17 campaign would rival Vassell as our second best player currently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN reporters are also known to be the absolute worst -stirrers in the entire industry. ESPN thrives on clicks and engagement. Nothing else. They slap Stephen A Smith across their entire product. Their entire business model is to instigate as much drama as possible, and you ing know it. It doesn't mean everything they post is schlock, but nothing they said should ever be taken on good faith. They're the sports equivalent of a rag at this point.
    ESPN Reporters - especially the ones I mentioned - constantly break stories. They always get scoops. Furthermore, by what you've described, I'm not even sure you've actually watched/listened to what has been said from the people I mentioned about Wemby. No one is pushing some narrative that he's going to demand a trade now or that he's fuming or doing anything destructive. I just think you're being ridiculous if you think Finger is a better source for what Wemby and his team are thinking than the people who work with ESPN. it's simply not the case and there is zero reason to believe it is.

All the crying I see about ESPN on here is mostly fans just being upset at what is said. That's it. And I'm not talking about talking heads on the TV who are there just to host talkshows and get viewership by yelilng really loudly at each other. I'm talking about the people who actually report or break news which is why I specifically listed the 3 that I did.

EDIT: And honestly, its not about ESPN. It's about posting something Finger said simply because you liked what it was. It's conformation bias. No one here has any basis to think the local guys have any notable access at all. They constantly get scopped by national media.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN Reporters - especially the ones I mentioned - constantly break stories. They always get scoops. Furthermore, by what you've described, I'm not even sure you've actually watched/listened to what has been said from the people I mentioned about Wemby. No one is pushing some narrative that he's going to demand a trade now or that he's fuming or doing anything destructive. I just think you're being ridiculous if you think Finger is a better source for what Wemby and his team are thinking than the people who work with ESPN. it's simply not the case and there is zero reason to believe it is.

All the crying I see about ESPN on here is mostly fans just being upset at what is said. That's it. And I'm not talking about talking heads on the TV who are there just to host talkshows and get viewership by yelilng really loudly at each other. I'm talking about the people who actually report or break news which is why I specifically listed the 3 that I did.

EDIT: And honestly, its not about ESPN. It's about posting something Finger said simply because you liked what it was. It's conformation bias. No one here has any basis to think the local guys have any notable access at all. They constantly get scopped by national media.
    some of the very best reporters but that is not all they do. The vast majority of the noise on this issue regarding Wemby is admitted straight speculation.

As for the SA reporters I think the zeitgeist around here misses the point. they are never going to have access to all the agents and executives. The Spurs are notoriously closed mouthed. That does not mean that they still don't have access that other's do not when it comes to their local organization.

Fantasy Football Guru Guru of Nothing's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I hope that Reed Sheppard grows up to be 6'8" after the Spurs draft him in the first round. That's my conformation bias.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some of the very best reporters but that is not all they do. The vast majority of the noise on this issue regarding Wemby is admitted straight speculation.

As for the SA reporters I think the zeitgeist around here misses the point. they are never going to have access to all the agents and executives. The Spurs are notoriously closed mouthed. That does not mean that they still don't have access that other's do not when it comes to their local organization.
    The only access they have is being able to be at every Spurs event of any kind in person. But so what? It's not 1980 or even 2000 anymore. Everything is online and if Victory and his team want to get a story out they're not going to go to Mike Finger. They're going to go with the national media. I'm thousands of miles from SA and I have watched virtually every minute Wemby has played this year. They have nothing meaningfully that the ESPN reporters have.

And honestly I dont' get why anyone who has actually watched the segments on ESPN about this is even upset. They're laying out virtually the same timeline people have laid out in this thread. For me, given the reporting and how Wemby has carried himself it is ABUNDANTLY clear that he has an expectation that we will be competing for a playoff spot next year and that the Spurs are going to make the necessary moves to make that happen. Wemby isn't trying to be at the bottom of the lottery next year, that is what ESPN is reporting, and I don't know how anyone who's paying attention could think that isn't anything but true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope that Reed Sheppard grows up to be 6'8" after the Spurs draft him in the first round. That's my conformation bias.
    LOL. I was always trash at spelling, Matt. Hope you're well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only access they have is being able to be at every Spurs event of any kind in person. But so what? It's not 1980 or even 2000 anymore. Everything is online and if Victory and his team want to get a story out they're not going to go to Mike Finger. They're going to go with the national media. I'm thousands of miles from SA and I have watched virtually every minute Wemby has played this year. They have nothing meaningfully that the ESPN reporters have.

And honestly I dont' get why anyone who has actually watched the segments on ESPN about this is even upset. They're laying out virtually the same timeline people have laid out in this thread. For me, given the reporting and how Wemby has carried himself it is ABUNDANTLY clear that he has an expectation that we will be competing for a playoff spot next year and that the Spurs are going to make the necessary moves to make that happen. Wemby isn't trying to be at the bottom of the lottery next year, that is what ESPN is reporting, and I don't know how anyone who's paying attention could think that isn't anything but true.
    press access including all of the after sessions of PCs and the like, yes. that is access that ESPN and STers do not enjoy.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yup. And finger didn’t even say anything of substance in his stupid quote. Just some pointless musings about what he hears from people with whom he talks with about the spurs. Nothing from wemby or wemby’s camp, or even any insider.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Multiple posters on the forum are spurs insiders it seems. Fully aware of the inner workings of the spurs organization and the world of sports journalism. But if all else fails, throw in random what ifs to anything that is contrary to their own point.

But what if ESPN has an agenda? Nope. That is not true, what we somehow have to question though is an organization that is well respected for over 30 years, one that was able to rebuild a team with 3 HoFers running at the end of their careers until their cornerstone got homesick. So what do we do? What SHOULD we do? We should listen to a bunch of highly knowledgable fans fearmongering so that they can get Trae young, despite what happened with the bucks tag got demonstratively worse with a better Trae young and got rid of steadying hand like Jrue holiday. Love this forum.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lillard was (is?) tail end of prime, the Bucks depleted their assets over the years and are old. No matter how it turns out, it was a no brainer considering they've repeatedly melted down in the half court offensively during this run in the playoffs and only won a championship because of the Nets and probably Clippers injuries.

That's nothing like the Spurs situation would be with Young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Multiple posters on the forum are spurs insiders it seems. Fully aware of the inner workings of the spurs organization and the world of sports journalism. But if all else fails, throw in random what ifs to anything that is contrary to their own point.

But what if ESPN has an agenda? Nope. That is not true, what we somehow have to question though is an organization that is well respected for over 30 years, one that was able to rebuild a team with 3 HoFers running at the end of their careers until their cornerstone got homesick. So what do we do? What SHOULD we do? We should listen to a bunch of highly knowledgable fans fearmongering so that they can get Trae young, despite what happened with the bucks tag got demonstratively worse with a better Trae young and got rid of steadying hand like Jrue holiday. Love this forum.
    Sanity, it's good to read ye.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Do the spurs have any player of jrue holiday’s caliber that they will get worse if they traded said player? No they don’t. Such a dumb comparison, of course Cry is on board because it fits his agenda lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just so I know how to respond, who is the steady hand we’re afraid to get rid of on this team. Is it Brandan, Wesley, or Collin’s? Shudder to think of what might become of our record if we get rid of one of those steady hands and replace them with actual NBA talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it’d be a national travesty if we got rid of Julian Champegnie’s steadying 5.7 points a game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the sniffer fans are okay to endorse a flasher that has no talent but don’t want an actual talented star because his teammates didn’t vote for him in the all star game.

Yeah we should keep surrounding Wemby with the Zach Collins and Bryn Forbes of the world.

Yeah Wemby doesn’t need help. He has teammates full of culture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure Wembys on board until he's not, just like nephew.
    We had the best team stat wise in our history in 2016. We could have probably kept it rolling under him and other FAs wanting to play with him for years after neph went full .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just so I know how to respond, who is the steady hand we’re afraid to get rid of on this team. Is it Brandan, Wesley, or Collin’s? Shudder to think of what might become of our record if we get rid of one of those steady hands and replace them with actual NBA talent.
    Yeah, that's the other thing that baffles me about current discussions on ST.

Who's untouchable other than Wemby? I mean, I wouldn't even say no to trading Vassell if the deal was right. It'd have to be a sweet haul, but everyone, everyone is expendable right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah you haven’t been in 4 years so as usual you call the forum trash when no one agrees with your dumb take.

this place is not PC enough.
    mods please delete
    all the good posters are gone.
    It’s not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing, it’s a matter of backing your opinion with facts or stats. The general level of posting here is misogynistic and phobic, with a side of “haha,you’re a sniffer” as the most complicated construct in the post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do the spurs have any player of jrue holiday’s caliber that they will get worse if they traded said player? No they don’t. Such a dumb comparison, of course Cry is on board because it fits his agenda lol.
    Yeah. Point is to find a holiday mold guy. Not Lillard mold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now the goal post has gone from “we must get Trae young because wemby demands excellence” to “the sniffers are idiots because they aren’t willing to trade anyone” which is a total strawman nobody ever suggested.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's the other thing that baffles me about current discussions on ST.

Who's untouchable other than Wemby? I mean, I wouldn't even say no to trading Vassell if the deal was right. It'd have to be a sweet haul, but everyone, everyone is expendable right now.
    Great endorsement of current PATFO's drafting ability right there.
    But I'm sure now that Wemby is here they will suddenly become competent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great endorsement of current PATFO's drafting ability right there.
    But I'm sure now that Wemby is here they will suddenly become competent
    Other than Boston and Denver, how many teams in the league have two completely untouchable players?

Minnesota, OKC? Maybe Sacramento?

Superstar level talent doesn't fall out of trees. And every single team on the league passed on Jokic.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Virtually everyone prefers the non liability type; good luck finding it is the point.

But again, without the Nets injuries the Bucks in the Holiday era were a bust in the half court offensively in the playoffs because they lacked high end play making. It's the same reason the Celtics and Clippers haven't been great either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Virtually everyone prefers the non liability type; good luck finding it is the point.

But again, without the Nets injuries the Bucks in the Holiday era were a bust in the half court offensively in the playoffs because they lacked high end play making. It's the same reason the Celtics and Clippers haven't been great either.

Thread Information