Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and this is progression. no one is talking about them being ready for the playoffs. Pop talks about steps for a reason. This team is taking steps.
    Who is this roster do you think belong to the project and whom progression matters…?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is this roster do you think belong to the project and whom progression matters…?
    Wemby, Vassell, Jones, Sochan, Branham, Wesley, and Barlow are the ones I think have improved the most this season. The roster is all on the team for the rest of the year so they all 'belong.' I am not sure what you are getting at.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    You can pretend the last play was the only high pressure situation but on the road coming back from a 10 point 4th quarter deficit and playing in a close and late situation for the majority of that quarter also presented high pressure cir stances throughout.

and this is progression. no one is talking about them being ready for the playoffs. Pop talks about steps for a reason. This team is taking steps.
    Not the only one, no. But why not take the highest one if you're going that route? The team isn't adept at high pressure situations because they've never been in one yet. Maybe for them this is high pressure, but doesn't that just support the notion that they are not what this team needs? I doubt anyone here thinks the team will grow at the same rate, maybe some are hoping for a serviceable player out of this group. I think if the prime big 3 was the core, some of these guys could be contributors. With just a 1st year Victor who needs to be mentored by a player, not just by a 75 year old coach, that's probably not going to be the best approach.

"This year, with the development, I think one of the important factors to enhance that development is winning" -Pop

He said adding more wins is mandatory. He's not adding more wins. What part of mandatory makes this wheeled goalpost seem plausible?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the only one, no. But why not take the highest one if you're going that route? The team isn't adept at high pressure situations because they've never been in one yet. Maybe for them this is high pressure, but doesn't that just support the notion that they are not what this team needs? I doubt anyone here thinks the team will grow at the same rate, maybe some are hoping for a serviceable player out of this group. I think if the prime big 3 was the core, some of these guys could be contributors. With just a 1st year Victor who needs to be mentored by a player, not just by a 75 year old coach, that's probably not going to be the best approach.

"This year, with the development, I think one of the important factors to enhance that development is winning" -Pop

He said adding more wins is mandatory. He's not adding more wins. What part of mandatory makes this wheeled goalpost seem plausible?
    You have an axe to grind. That all is pretty much meaningless to me.

If you want to continue handwaving at the one play and ignore my arguments I am done.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    You have an axe to grind. That all is pretty much meaningless to me.

If you want to continue handwaving at the one play and ignore my arguments I am done.
    The high pressure play? OK. I think it's already settled anyhow.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby, Vassell, Jones, Sochan, Branham, Wesley, and Barlow are the ones I think have improved the most this season. The roster is all on the team for the rest of the year so they all 'belong.' I am not sure what you are getting at.
    Just curious

I’m a lot less optimistic than you for most of them.

Wemby Vassell Sochan (only bc there’s a slight hope and worth dev) and Barlow (cheap young and real margin) That’s it…

All the rest has too many limitations to be reliable NBA players imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not Wesley? …

You really do think the development of Wesley is more important than the development of Wemby. Sir, you are not in possession of all of your faculties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just curious

I’m a lot less optimistic than you for most of them.

Wemby Vassell Sochan (only bc there’s a slight hope and worth dev) and Barlow (cheap young and real margin) That’s it…

All the rest has too many limitations to be reliable NBA players imo
    Branham and Wesley were G-Leaguers last year.

Wesley in particular is extremely raw but he shows defensive instincts and success to go along with some eye popping speed, agility, and leaping he is just starting to learn to leverage.
    Branham has improved his game from ball handling and finishing on isoes and pnr to reducing his number of blow bys on defense significantly.
    Sochan is shutting down guards on the perimeter and taking on the role of defending the opponents best players to good effect. That is a winning talent all on it's own. He needs to go into an offseason where they know what position he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feels like Wesley has been progressing for over a month now and I'd say Branham started catching eyes 2-3 weeks ago. Nothing too crazy for the most part but discernible progress. I will say Bran was kind of eye popping last night in the 2nd half. Flashes of brilliance.

It's still a developing situation but the sample size is growing enough to almost resemble a trend at this point granted future plateaus still possibly ahead.

This is development.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feels like Wesley has been progressing for over a month now and I'd say Branham started catching eyes 2-3 weeks ago. Nothing too crazy for the most part but discernible progress. I will say Bran was kind of eye popping last night in the 2nd half. Flashes of brilliance.

It's still a developing situation but the sample size is growing enough to almost resemble a trend at this point granted future plateaus still possibly ahead.

This is development.
    Yeah, this game looked like we've actually achieved some growth this season. Not nearly as much as I expected, but some.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole NBA say we're terrible. Litterally every fanbase I read or pundit I listen to. And one 'good loss" changes nothing to that.

You guys are the ones overracting after one "good loss", like you were trying to convince yourself these guys will be nothing but role players (at best) in this league... Record don't lie, spurs are 13-50 this year after going 22-60 last season...this roster as such is not even play in bound in any season and none of these guys will start in a spurs contending team, most of them not even on the roster. But let's keep developing them for another 3 years.

Some of you need to get real, no fans from any other team is raving or envious about Malaki Branham, Blake Wesley or Jeremy Sochan...
    Sorry for a late reply.

The NBA at large recognizes Wemby & the Spurs will be a problem before long. Everyone and their mama knows this season's team isn't "it", but they can also see the positive situation the Spurs have put themselves in (cap flexibility, pick surplus, and a 1A talent cornerstone), and how that can/will lead to a big turnaround before long. That's what I meant, not that this seasons' players are gonna take some massive leap.

I'm "real" in the regard you're saying (I was arguing with Dejounte a while back who said I had a "Moneyball" view of the roster, lol). These guys are expendable, for sure. But that doesn't mean that what I wrote earlier is untrue. It only means it'll take some roster turnover to get to where the Spurs can get.

I think the idea that the Spurs will be terrible always, because the current team is terrible, is quite myopic, and the NBA as a league has seen plenty of day/night team transformations in a single off-season or two for me to put weight on the idea (not that the Spurs will go this way necessarily).

I don't see Spurs management talking about developing Branham for 3 more years, do you? Last I've heard was Pop outright stating that every option is on the table, from draft, trades, etc. So while I understand the pessimism for this team, I don't agree with the pessimistic outlook for the future, when the Spurs have objectively placed themselves in a situation a dozen teams are envious of.

And before you say it - did it take lottery luck? For sure, I never say otherwise. It also took tanking at just the right time, the "right way" (meaning a full compromise to the tank, which I still remember this same board laughing the idea out the window). "Luck is a friend of Action" is a great saying and the Spurs know it well.

Thread Information