Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D is whatever, there's only so much you can do in this pussy ass league. But it being 2024 and not having competent shooting is unforgivable
    When you have the worst D in NBA history sans Wemby you need to improve tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's just data generation

this seems to me to be the "let's see what you got" season for SA. in that context this was an ideal outcome and those are "big" games

data is mapping the future of the team for better or worse though to be sure, numbers don't lie but it's all in the interpretation precarious as that can be
    That only works for Wemby and 2months were enough to know.

No need of a year of data collection to see that Tre Jones isn’t an NBA caliber PG or that the whole roster is deprived of passing abilities.
    No need to purposely handicap your once a generation gift by handicapping him unnecessarily with no veterans or anyone able to pass him the ball

This PATFO narrative is getting ridiculous

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop drawing up plays down 3 in the year 2024 ... Sad.

Has it gotten to the point of him gumming towels like Tarkanian, sweating and staring, mystified by the concept of the 20 second timeout?
    I mean...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Although I've seen some head scratching decisions lately, that in bold seems not well thought out.
    U have to judge someone right now... Or else we just suit up MJ and get him back in the league... There comes a point where coaches become basketball senile... Pop has been that since trading for DDR... it's only magnified this season

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That only works for Wemby and 2months were enough to know.

No need of a year of data collection to see that Tre Jones isn’t an NBA caliber PG or that the whole roster is deprived of passing abilities.
    No need to purposely handicap your once a generation gift by handicapping him unnecessarily with no veterans or anyone able to pass him the ball

This PATFO narrative is getting ridiculous
    Exactly... Throwing away an entire season to figure out something we could have told them after 20 games is poor coaching... If this were someone else other than pop, they'd have been fired by the trade deadline

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Adam Silver didn’t pull strings in our favor we would be stuck with Poop and Scoot. While Victor would be averaging 25 next to Lamelo or Sengun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre Jones at the end of games is such garbage

What was that game where he completely missed Wemby diving at the rim wide open in a comeback?

Now he's getting 24 second violations
    96-90 he leaves his man and then stands around not guarding anyone. I mean he's standing in one place guarding the floor.
    Poof wide open 3 pointer for Houston.

Next came the shot clock violation which again seemed like he was throwing it.

I guess since he made the 2 FTs at the end he wasn't. Sure looked fishy tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell's money when it doesn't count
    How about that final attempt when Spurs had a chance with a good / lucky intentional missed FTA?

FFS is Vassell really that inaccurate? Or was he jealous again, worried Wama might get the rebound and put in the shot to tie the game and force OT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "throwing away an entire season"

are people saying rookie Wemby could content for a ring right now with different realistic cir stances? and are we saying rookie Wemby is a top 3 option in this hypothetical rookie Wemby NBA Championship San Antonio Spurs team? is that historically commonplace league wide?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if pop was deviating from a franchise wide consensus, a board, staff, and roster monolithic LOCKSTEP

he would've been fired before the deadline, the first month. easy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop losing at home to the Warriors with no Steph and the Rockets with no Sengun. Adjusting to the Rockets “Stop Wemby” game plan by having Dom Barlow and Blake Wesley space the floor for him just sums up how cognitive our coach is.

Taylor Jenkins on the other hand has 9 more wins with a G-League roster. Won a game tonight with a starting lineup of Jemison, Aldama, Konchar, Goodwin, and Kennard.

Not even Michael Jordan could make the playoffs with a senile coach as terrible as Pop has been since 2018. He would have slapped Pop at the season opener if he got pulled at the 7 minute mark of the first quarter.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

are people saying rookie Wemby could content for a ring right now with different realistic cir stances? and are we saying rookie Wemby is a top 3 option in this hypothetical rookie Wemby NBA Championship San Antonio Spurs team? is that historically commonplace league wide?
    No, we're saying it would have been nice to put something next to Victor for the team to grow together. Maybe Vassell or Sochan is good enough to still be on this team next to Victor in three years but neither really jump out at you as a core piece.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was at the game and saw the made three and the end thought they tied it. the stadium was loud as during the call explanation.

Anyone explain what happened?

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe it was 4 seconds left, Spurs down 3. The Rockets fouled Vassell with both hands (classic end-of-game foul), then Vassell took a couple steps, turned around and shot a three. Three went in, but it was obviously after the foul call. Don't blame the crowd for their reaction, but it was clearly not in the act of motion. And of course Vassell does not know how to miss the last freethrow (made the first one, but the last one did not even touch rim - just went all board and that's it), and we don't have a chance to do a tip in or a shot to tie the game following the last freethrow. This team when it disappoints, it really disappoints (just like the Sacramento game).

These last 2 games, we still lost to squads without their best player.. that sucks. Story of the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i was at the game and saw the made three and the end thought they tied it. the stadium was loud as during the call explanation.

Rockets players told the refs they were intentionally fouling, so they called a foul on the slightest of touches to Vassell. Only way to counter this would have been to run a play so whoever gets it, catches and shoots it right away. The entire world saw them fouling, except for Poop. Devin gave them a chance to foul him for two free throws when we’re down 3, because he had to dribble once to get his shot off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets players told the refs they were intentionally fouling, so they called a foul on the slightest of touches to Vassell. Only way to counter this would have been to run a play so whoever gets it, catches and shoots it right away. The entire world saw them fouling, except for Poop. Devin gave them a chance to foul him for two free throws when we’re down 3, because he had to dribble once to get his shot off.
    Didn't need the gratuitous stupidity about whose fault it was. BTW prison is full of people that think with that same paradigm of fault and blame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The play was for Wemby but it was well covered by rockets. Wemby set a screen then broke for the three, positioning his body to face the hoop. The pass must be at chest height so Wemby could go straight into his shot. A high pass would mean the foul would happen on the floor. Because the pass was covered, Spurs gave to vassell.

Now vassell has a bad game. So did Wemby. And we were right in it. That's pretty decent coaching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    love to see Pop getting outcoached again. You know he would never ever foul while being up 3 as we witnessed in the 2013 finals

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop’s rotation decisions have been bad for quite a while. However, it’s disconcerting how bad his X’s and O’s decision making is now too. He used to have pretty good ATO and late game plays.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still can't believe there isn't some purpose in those (bad) decisions. Maybe the Spurs really want the bottom 3 and don't want to risk winning too many games.

Had Pop called a TO or put Victor back earlier vs the Dubs when they made a run/gap we'd have won that game imo.

Houston was really bad yesterday as well

Pop just can't be that bad, it's just doesn't make sense to me

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you replace Wemby with any other le contender 2nd best player are they worse, better, or the same?

Denver, replace Murray with Wemby
    Boston, replace Brown with Wemby
    OKC, replace Chet with Wemby
    Bucks, replace Dame with Wemby

I would say every championship contender would be either the same or bette if they replaced their number 2 player with Wemby. Because their number 2 player is not as good a defender as he is and isn't going to generate the amount of open looks for others that he does.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still can't believe there isn't some purpose in those (bad) decisions. Maybe the Spurs really want the bottom 3 and don't want to risk winning too many games.

Had Pop called a TO or put Victor back earlier vs the Dubs when they made a run/gap we'd have won that game imo.

Houston was really bad yesterday as well

Pop just can't be that bad, it's just doesn't make sense to me
    He can absolutely be that bad.

What doesn't make sense is jumping through all these mental gymnastics to try and rationalize why a awful coach mad bad decisions, when it's clearly because they are an awful coach.

Pop is in his 70's. Never seen a 70 year do anything and think to myself "this person is at the top of their game right now". All 70 year old coaches would be bad. Pop is no exception.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can absolutely be that bad.

What doesn't make sense is jumping through all these mental gymnastics to try and rationalize why a awful coach mad bad decisions, when it's clearly because they are an awful coach.

Pop is in his 70's. Never seen a 70 year do anything and think to myself "this person is at the top of their game right now". All 70 year old coaches would be bad. Pop is no exception.
    It doesn’t make sense.

you can’t just unlearn stuff, you can’t suddenly do rookie mistakes on a regular basis when ur a veteran etc

As bad as this roster is, if Pop doesn’t coach badly or passively here and there were out of the bottom 5

With Wemby getting comfortable and efficient the risk of wining is too high if u add teams like Memphis or Toronto who had seaosn ending injuries Spurs could even fight for the play-ins with a little bit of coaching effort

Pop is annoying af and I have plenty of criticism toward him, but he’s not an idiot.

that makes it 99% chance he’s doing it on purpose imo

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He put the ball down (dribbled) before shooting. No continuation.

Thread Information