San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i didn't say he was
    you said they need to get him in free agency

you can only get free agents in free agency

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    need to get luka in next year's free agency, that's it.
    i didn't say he was
    Kinda looks like you did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Article on what Malik Monk might get this off season: https://www.forbes.com/sites/matissa...h=4f7ae6102f5e

From what I've seen from Kings fans, they'll probably offer him something around 4/78 and that its gonna take at least 3/60 from other teams to have a chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know we have plenty of threads like this already, but more and more I think the team needs even more wholesale changes than it has time for in the Wemby era.

In an NBA2K like world where you can completely turn over a roster in a couple of minutes and have instant chemistry, you'd move on from pretty much every major piece of our team not named Wemby. Some of the end-of-bench role players (Bassey, Barlow, Champ if appropriately put as an end of bench guy) are fine - but pretty much everything between Wemby and them needs to be upgraded, including Vassell (tbh).

Vassell actually played one of his best games yesterday, IMO, but it still had a couple of fatal problems (to a championship level team) that I'm not sure Devin will ever overcome: some very questionable decision making and the lack of a clutch gene.

Sochan comes off as too nonchalant to achieve greatness, IMO. He doesn't appear to have the drive, which causes wild inconsistency in his game. Maybe this can change overtime... I don't know?

Keldon has the right at ude, but is just limited, talent-wise.

Unfortunately, trying to just scrap it all and completely rebuild around Wemby will take too long, and will probably do more damage than good... so we need to (likely) keep at least two of the three above in order to have a chance at real positive growth. It makes sense that it would be Vassell and probably Sochnan, who at least has the opportunity to change his path (Keldon kind of is what he is at this point).

Just my dumb opinion.
    Not so dumb. Agree with most of this. I might have more belief in Sochan than you. He makes a lot of mistakes, but don't give up on him. You see nonchalance -- I see frustration. High BBIQ guy, and yeah, he's made a lot of mistakes this year, but unlike most of his teammates, he's not scared. He's a dawg, and we need more like him. We're seeing his floor right now, not his ceiling. This summer, his hands need to get a little stronger. Generally in good position for rebounds, but he loses them because his hands aren't clamping tips in traffic. Rebound numbers will improve next year, as will shooting. Outside of VW, he's obviously Pop's choice for on-ball, one-on-one perimeter defense, and he'll be better at that job when he's not surrounded by awful perimeter defenders.

I was very wrong how much Vassell could become a leader this year. I thought this was his year to be that guy, but his BBIQ is so low (horrific shot selection; doesn't make teammates better; doesn't lead in crunch time). The 15-53 record is largely a reflection of where he stacks amongst the NBA elite, as the Spurs' most veteran 'star', and if PATFO wanted to "see what we've got", I think the current record shows what Vassell's got as a 1st / 2nd option player. (Ditto Tre as a starting point guard.) Keep showcasing Vassell this next month. Keep running two-man game with him. Keep pumping his numbers. He's a future Sixth Man of the Year candidate, but most likely, not here.

Don't sleep on Blake Wesley. Also a dawg. Effective perimeter defense, possession to possession. Franchise is going nowhere until PATFO acquires more players that defend like he does on the perimeter. Abysmal offensive player last year who has added a floater and made a big jump. Right now would be his junior year at Notre Dame. Big summer ahead for his shot development and playmaking improvement. You'll know after next season whether to keep or sell on him, but this summer would be too early. Don't be surprised if he's getting starting minutes at "point guard" next year. Air quotes because I think PATFO is looking to be even more positionless than this year, which I'm 100% for. Also why I want no part of Trae Young, who doesn't work within a positionless defensive roster, or any roster that expects to play effective defense.

Minor note -- I hope Barlow and/or Mamu can keep developing into Spurs bench pieces into next year, but obviously they're not answers as starters.

Beyond these -- yeah, I think your general take is right on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you said they need to get him in free agency

you can only get free agents in free agency
    i hear ya.. but given that i don't have a framework for how to actually do it, it is not meant literally.. more like a broad period between mid next season and the time when contracts will start to get too expensive very quick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is a total keeper

Gotta say, I really believe in him and am optimistic on his future

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is a total keeper

Same. Really like Jeremy and am hoping he proves a lot of people wrong next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is a total keeper
    If it's for 1-2 mil a year, sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most likely offseason... OK

Spurs end up 28th in the league (3ed pick pre-lottery). Toronto ends up 25th (6th pick pre-lottery). The team ends up with 2 picks: 5 and 8 (2 teams jump ahead into the top 4, but TO isn't one of them). PATFO will draft what they think is BPA in both cases - but probably a PG and a Wing (as the only top-10 worthy big is Sarr, who will go before 5). Hopefully (IMO, of course), Topic and Buzelis... They also have 2 SRP (33 and 44). I suspect 1 big man and either a second big or a wing. Alternatively, one of the second round picks could be an international, especially if they can talk a guy into a draft and stash (eg maybe Pacome Dadiet)

The spurs currently have the following 14 (of 15 possible) contracts on the books next year: Keldon Johnson, Victor Wembanyama, Devin Vassell, Tre Jones, Zach Collins, Jeremy Sochan, Devonte Graham, Branham, Champagnie, Wesley, Bassey and Sissoko, pick #5 and Pick #8. They also have 2 (of 3) two way contracts filled: Bouyea and Gray. Mamu, Barlow and Cedi are free agents.

To make roster spots, I think they will move on from Devonte (Clearly, they don't see him as part of this team's future, so the will either release his partial guarantee for more cap space or as part of a trade) and Bassey (a casualty of the limited # of slots available, his non-guaranteed contract and injury issues make him a pretty easy cut).

As I have previously stated I expect them to bring in a veteran PG, by either trade or FA. I figure most probable is that they bring in Tyus Jones for something around $72M/4yrs. They will try (and likely succeed) to resign Barlow and Cedi, but not Mamu (I like him as a 15th man, but they need the spot).

Roster:
    PG(4) - Tyus Jones, Tre Jones, Blake Wesley and Nikola Topic (could also see minutes at the 2)
    SG (2) Vassel, Branham, Sissoko
    SF (2) Cedi, Champagnie
    SF-PF(3) Tweeners - Sochan, Keldon Johnson, Buzelis
    C-PF Tweeners (1) - Barlow
    C (2)- Victor, Zach

Starting lineup
    PG - Tyus Jones
    SG - Devin Vassell
    SF - Jeremy Sochan
    PF - ?Matas Buzelis?
    C- Victor Wembanyama

Backup PG will be a very high compe ion slot, with Tre Jones, Blake Wesley and Nikola Topic all fighting for minutes. Topic might be handed plenty of D-league time, just to get him minute and reps...(But with his size, he could also get minutes as backup SG, playing beside Tre or Blake.)
    Backup SG Branham (Topic also could get minutes here), Champagnie. Sissoko will continue to get lots of G-league minutes (up until such time as he can shoot the 3 at >35%).
    Backup SF - Cedi, Champagnie
    Backup PF - Keldon
    Backup C - Collins, Barlow

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most likely Spurs get the #3 and #8 picks in the draft. Spurs take Topic at #3 and miss out on Buzelis (who moved up to a top 5 pick) and take Knecht at #8.

Spurs sign Tobias Harris in the offseason.

Tre, Topic, Wesley
    Vassell, Knecht/Branham
    Sochan, Keldon, Champagnie
    Tobias, Barlow, Sidy
    Wemby, Zollins, Bassey

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most likely Spurs get the #3 and #8 picks in the draft. Spurs take Topic at #3 and miss out on Buzelis (who moved up to a top 5 pick) and take Knecht at #8.

Tre, Topic, Wesley
    Vassell, Knecht/Branham
    Tobias, Barlow, Sidy
    Wemby, Zollins, Bassey
    How can u envision Tre and Sochan still starting next season??

That would be shameful

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That would be shameful
    The question wasn't what i wanted to happen. It was what I thought was most likely...

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tre, Topic, Wesley
    Vassell, Knecht/Branham
    Tobias, Barlow, Sidy
    Wemby, Zollins, Bassey
    Don't really see the Spurs having the capspace to sign Harris. Probably can't clear any more than $25 million even if the Toronto pick doesn't convey and they cut Bassey, Champagnie, Barlow, and Graham.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean with a whole offseason to practice, who says no to Sochan going back to our starting PG next year? Draft 2 wings in Williams and Buz and bam our shortest player is Vassell. Imagine the damage that team will do. I can see Pop salivating at the thought of another experiment

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean with a whole offseason to practice, who says no to Sochan going back to our starting PG next year? Draft 2 wings in Williams and Buz and bam our shortest player is Vassell. Imagine the damage that team will do. I can see Pop salivating at the thought of another experiment
    You got it flipped man. Draft Cody and make him PG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question wasn't what i wanted to happen. It was what I thought was most likely...
    My bad then

But still it’s unimaginable to me. First year has the excuse of the observation/discovery.
    Next season has to be about building with futur starters.

Only Vassell (if not used as he should in a big trade) can be starting along Victor from this season’s team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That would be shameful
    Even if they draft Dillingham, Sheppard, or Topic I still expect Jones to start, as I doubt any of the three will be able to beat him out for the starting job right away. I strongly doubt Cody Williams or Buzelis would start over Sochan either if they draft one of them. Sarr probably would start over Sochan. If they draft Risacher he probably takes Champagnie's spot in the starting lineup. I find it highly unlikely Tre and Sochan aren't both starters opening night unless they make a trade for Trae Young.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if they draft Dillingham, Sheppard, or Topic I still expect Jones to start, as I doubt any of the three will be able to beat him out for the starting job right away. I strongly doubt Cody Williams or Buzelis would start over Sochan either if they draft one of them. Sarr probably would start over Sochan. If they draft Risacher he probably takes Champagnie's spot in the starting lineup. I find it highly unlikely Tre and Sochan aren't both starters opening night unless they make a trade for Trae Young.
    I don’t expect a potentially drafted PG to start either. I’m expecting a reliable starting NBA PG to arrive. It’s the minimum.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is a total keeper

He is already on the heels of Tre and Devin as players with the best net rating with Wemby since the new year and he is yet to have that 3rd year leap. This is also with him ting himself on offense most of that time.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is a total keeper

I like Sochan. As for low motivation, I don't know, those sleepy eyes, I think he's probably just smoking weed before games?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't really see the Spurs having the capspace to sign Harris. Probably can't clear any more than $25 million even if the Toronto pick doesn't convey and they cut Bassey, Champagnie, Barlow, and Graham.
    It would need to be a S&T..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My bad then

But still it’s unimaginable to me. First year has the excuse of the observation/discovery.
    Next season has to be about building with futur starters.

Only Vassell (if not used as he should in a big trade) can be starting along Victor from this season’s team
    I'd like to see a couple of significant trades. It doesn't have to be major stars, just something to improve without burning our best draft capital. We need to at least build into the play-in range next season.

I just don't expect it..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would need to be a S&T..
    He’ll be 32 before next season, so seconds and salary ballast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess is we trade the Charlotte pick for a decent backup player, say goodbye to some of our backups/3rd stringers and look to sign a part time starter/second teamer with our cap space. Getting a decent point guard or someone who can pass to Wemby, would help the most whether its through the draft or free agency. Get anyone who can play some defense !!!

No more wasting a roster spot on other teams end of the bench castoffs or rookies with "potential" who are two years away from being two years away. Look to the G-League if you have to. We have some real options available such as picks and cap space, we just have to use them wisely. As soon as the season is over (or sooner) , Wright needs to get on the phones to see who is available. After all that is part of his job.

We aren't going to win 50 games next year but if Pop doesn't start Sochan at pg, and Wemby takes another leap forward, we have a chance at winning 30 - 35 games and maybe a play in slot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t expect a potentially drafted PG to start either. I’m expecting a reliable starting NBA PG to arrive. It’s the minimum.
    The PG options in free agency are Maxey, Harden, Holiday, Quickley (RFA), Russell, Westbrook, Tyus Jones, Dinwiddie, Fultz, Reggie Jackson, Lowry, Beverley, and crap. Of those I think the attainable ones are Jones, Dinwiddie, Fultz, Jackson, Lowry, and Beverley. Tyus would be a nice upgrade over Tre but don't know that the Spurs will want to tie up the $105 million or so it would probably take to sign him when he's such a limited player. Dinwiddie was been terrible and isn't an upgrade over Tre, same with Lowry. Fultz is just as limited a shooter as Tre so no point in throwing big money at him. Jackson is more instant offense off the bench than PG and Beverley is more defensive role player than PG. Short of a Trae Young trade I expect Tre Jones to be the starting PG opening night next season.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-21-2024 at 11:49 AM.

Thread Information