Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably. If we get a top 3 pick, does any Spurs fan would consider trading it away for Herb?
    Yeah I'd probably trade it away for Herb tbh. I don't have much faith in BWrong making the right pick. At least Herb is a known commodity tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll be 45M over the cap as things stand now.
    Even if they get rid of KAT, still just 4M under the cap and just 9 players on the roster.

Naz is an expiring next year and it should be a fairly cheap trade.
    But Presti will likely be on it and masterminds in our front office will get outplayed.

They could also opt to trade McDaniels, another player worth keeping an eye on.

NOLA has a logjam at SF with both Ingram and Trey Murphy being up for an extension.
    If they were smart, they'd opt to keep Herb and trade one of those two. I'd personally get rid of Ingram, but then again I don't want him here. Would be the worst outcome for us.
    NOLA trade is just wishful thinking in some ways.

Bridges price has plummeted and he's definitely going to ask out. He'll be 28, so a bit older and maybe not worth trading two picks for.
    Grayson is a no brainer for 70/4 or 80/5. Fits every possible roster, elite shooter, doesn't need the ball, defends well and can replace Jeremy as the fake tough guy on the roster.

Celtics will be 17M over the cap even if Jrue doesn't take his 39M option, which he most likely will.
    Tatum will be entering his final year, with Brown, Porzingis and Pritchard being the only guys not up for an extension.
    They have to make some really difficult choices.

If not Trae or Garland, I want one of Derrick or Jrue. Preferrably Derrick.
    Having Tre or a rookie start the next season would be a guarantee for a disaster.
    Brogdon is the other PG worth keeping an eye on, not many contenders could absorb his 22M a year.
    There's alot of good thoughts in there. One thing i do see differently though, is I think we have a decided advantage over Presti in trades with Minnesota. Minnesota isn't going to want to trade useful players to a team who's a current threat to them as far as standings go. Our suckitude is an advantage in this instance..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo if we want Reid, Herb or any real valuable addition, we'll have to overpay.

Except for Wemby and income taxes, Spurs aren't attractive enough short term

The question is a what time will the Spurs be ok paying the luxury tax, 1-2-3 years? considering what Wemby already brought, it should be a no brainner but with the Spurs tradition....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably. If we get a top 3 pick, does any Spurs fan would consider trading it away for Herb?
    maybe not 1:1
    our top pick & our ca. 33rd for Herb and 25th (pels pick)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All scenarios depends on how many and how valuable draft picks we'll have next draft. Possibly, we could have a top 3pick, a top 10 pick,a top 35 pick and a top 55 pick... There is room for any kind of trades also on draft day... And this draft looks to me to be very weak on the top (the order of lottery picks is highly uncertain and probably there will be ton of surprises in draft night) but very strong till the first 50 picks...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 45 not 55...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From a terrific Mike Finger article in the March 10th San Antonio Express-News:

"In 2021, four of the worst six teams in the NBA were Minnesota, Oklahoma City, Cleveland and Orlando. All won fewer than 24 games that season.

Three years later, all four of those teams are playoff locks. The Thunder and Timberwolves began the weekend as the top two teams in the Western Conference, while the Cavaliers and Magic both were in the top five in the East.

So how did they get there? Was it a matter of young rosters improving and growing older together? Well, unless we're talking about a select, small core on each team, not really.

On this season's Oklahoma City powerhouse, only three players are left over from when the Thunder bottomed out in 2021. Same goes for Cleveland. Minnesota has four players remaining from three years ago. Orlando has the most continuity of the group with six holdovers."

That last stanza resonates. The only two current Spurs that play anything remotely resembling consistent individual defense, possession to possession, are VW and Jeremy. Blake Wesley is more professional on defense than most other Spurs, but his offense is still so raw that he's not cracking a starting lineup anytime soon (rooting hard for him to turn that corner though). Beyond those three -- that's it. It's a sieve. The rest play lottery-level individual defense. And here we are.

I'm guessing by 2026, only four of the current roster will still be Spurs -- most certainly players with high BBIQ and defensive skill -- Victor, Jeremy, and two others not named Devin. I'll be surprised to see the Spurs draft any US-born players in the next two years. Mostly high-IQ non-US players with significant pro experience, switchability on defense, and 3-point accuracy. I hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grayson is a no brainer for 70/4 or 80/5. Fits every possible roster, elite shooter, doesn't need the ball, defends well and can replace Jeremy as the fake tough guy on the roster.
    no.
    Massive got.
    Do not want his cancer ass around Wemby.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... I'll be surprised to see the Spurs draft any US-born players in the next two years. Mostly high-IQ non-US players with significant pro experience, switchability on defense, and 3-point accuracy. I hope.
    I really doubt it, prospects like that go high, and there aren't enough to go around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe, but its the difference between how much room we can create and Harris's new contract (which I'm guessing is around $25M/per). We can create around $20M, so a couple smaller contracts might get it done.
    His season cratered after Embiid went down. I don’t think you need $25M to sign him. The market this summer won’t support that. My guess is that his price point comes in somewhere between the MLE and $20M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see any scenario where New Orleans trades Herb Jones, except for a star. They love him there, have no use whatsoever for Keldon Johnson, a dude who's a net negative on a 16-56 team.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Herb Jones? in a heartbeat.
    However I think it'd be better to package it for Trae

Mad Beer Hops! Notorious H.O.P.'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PATFO realizes they don't know what they are doing and hire a SpursTalk random to handle the off-season.

Rando uses the 3rd and 7th picks to salary dump Collins and Branham to the Warriors in exchange for a freshly guaranteed Chris Paul.

Bryn Forbes is signed for the explicit purpose of cutting him again.

Keldon, Champagnie and ATL 27 traded to the Magic for a sign and traded Mo Wagner and Fultz.

Mills signed to a one year farewell tour towel waving contract.

Signs multiple French guys to keep Wemby happy.

Pop replaced by Coach Bud.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    End up with one first round pick and draft Topic.

Add a couple low level veterans for the bench and run back the same team next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imo if we want Reid, Herb or any real valuable addition, we'll have to overpay.

Except for Wemby and income taxes, Spurs aren't attractive enough short term

The question is a what time will the Spurs be ok paying the luxury tax, 1-2-3 years? considering what Wemby already brought, it should be a no brainner but with the Spurs tradition....
    Reid and Herb would both be trades, so the desirability of SA isn’t a factor. There was a little smoke at the deadline about Herb, but I’ve heard nothing about Naz on the block, and the obvious piece for them to move is KAT. That rolls back their payroll in a major way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. He’s a role player, a complementary piece. If the Toronto pick doesn’t convey this year, I’d offer it to N.O. If it does, I’d offer them the Chicago pick, with maybe the Charlotte pick as a sweetener/ throw in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see any scenario where New Orleans trades Herb Jones, except for a star. They love him there, have no use whatsoever for Keldon Johnson, a dude who's a net negative on a 16-56 team.
    Herb Jones isn’t a star. He’s a role player. He’s Bowen. He’ll never pull a star in return.

They have some problems with payroll, so they’ll need to be moving someone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Herb Jones isn’t a star. He’s a role player. He’s Bowen. He’ll never pull a star in return.

They have some problems with payroll, so they’ll need to be moving someone.
    If you want to build a championship core, that's more valuable than a flawed star. A Bruce Bowen is more valuable than a Russell Westbrook. A Herb Jones is more valuable than a Trae Young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want to build a championship core, that's more valuable than a flawed star. A Bruce Bowen is more valuable than a Russell Westbrook. A Herb Jones is more valuable than a Trae Young.
    If you can find a 1-2-3. Herb Jones as your second best player will not be a championship core.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can find a 1-2-3. Herb Jones as your second best player will not be a championship core.
    Of course not, but a Bruce Bowen or Herb Jones is way more probable to be part of a championship core than a Russell Westbrook or a Trae Young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course not, but a Bruce Bowen or Herb Jones is way more probable to be part of a championship core than a Russell Westbrook or a Trae Young.
    Russell got to the finals as the thunders number 2. Trae got to the ECF as the hawks number 1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Russell got to the finals as the thunders number 2. Trae got to the ECF as the hawks number 1.
    Bruce Bowen won 3 championships.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruce Bowen won 3 championships.

As like the number 4 guy. In 2004/5 championship season, he was 6th highest paid in the team. Parker earned half of his contract. Rose, Barry, Nesterovic, Manu, TD all earned more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As like the number 4 guy. In 2004/5 championship season, he was 6th highest paid in the team. Parker earned half of his contract. Rose, Barry, Nesterovic, Manu, TD all earned more.
    Yeah, so? You wouldn't be getting Herb to be a top 3 player nor one of the highest paid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, so? You wouldn't be getting Herb to be a top 3 player nor one of the highest paid.
    Why are you comparing good role players to former mvp's?

Thread Information