Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd really like to hear your honest and serious evaluation of our roster.

Nets were on a 6 game road trip, this game being their last. Read: they were done and wanted to go home.
    In those 5 road trip games, they went 1-4. Losing at Detroit and Charlotte in the process. 11th seed in awful East.
    They were also on a B2B last night.
    Their best player, Bridges, had one of the worst games I've seen him play.

And it took overtime for the Spurs to beat them.
    Including a monster game from Wemby, with Devin and Keldon combining for 49 points.
    Our three best players (yes, as awful Keldon is, he's our third best player) had more or less best case scenario games and we were still awful.

What exactly are we supposed to expect from this roster going forward? If no trades are made, that is.

Also, constantly telling people to kill themselves says a lot about yourself.
    He won't give an actual take about our roster bc he's a troll. I'm not even sure he's a Spurs fan tbh. He just likes to tell people to kill themselves. I mean the dude seems to be ok with our team winning 13 games this season. He wants the Spurs to bring literally every player and coach back and improve by like 30 games and say see I told you I was right. The roster is still young. So and so player just needs time. Ya'll need to kill yourselves for ever doubting Branham. It's all he has going for him at this point.

As an actual fan of the team, I wouldn't mind bringing back the same players IF and ONLY if that would lead to actual contention. But doing that won't work and we need a roster/coaching overhaul in order to compete. It's pretty ing obvious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd really like to hear your honest and serious evaluation of our roster.

Nets were on a 6 game road trip, this game being their last. Read: they were done and wanted to go home.
    In those 5 road trip games, they went 1-4. Losing at Detroit and Charlotte in the process. 11th seed in awful East.
    They were also on a B2B last night.
    Their best player, Bridges, had one of the worst games I've seen him play.

And it took overtime for the Spurs to beat them.
    Including a monster game from Wemby, with Devin and Keldon combining for 49 points.
    Our three best players (yes, as awful Keldon is, he's our third best player) had more or less best case scenario games and we were still awful.

What exactly are we supposed to expect from this roster going forward? If no trades are made, that is.

Also, constantly telling people to kill themselves says a lot about yourself.
    I dunno, man, I say what I think about the roster in other places.

This fanbase thinks that by ripping players constantly they can, I guess, make themselves feel great? I don't get it. The only time they show up is to start ranting about how much they hate someone. Never when a player does well. It's like they're trying to chase clout with the most revolting members of this often abject fanbase. Honestly, I really think the Spurs need to get out of San Antonio. This franchise, for all its ups and downs, does not deserve the putrid takes.

Honestly, just revolted by people coming into threads after wins just to scream about how much they hate Sochan or whoever.

Like, what the is that?

So... about roster and so on, what do you want me to say? It's a bad team that is rebuilding that got a 14% chance at a super-generational talent and got him. The team still has massive holes and is incredibly young.

1. I don't think multiple players on the team are as ty as you and other people want to think. I do think it makes you feel better, for some reason.
    2. I do think young players improve.
    3. It's really hard to have five poor and developing players on the court at once. If you had a 20 year old with four vets, they can cover for him. Five young players can't cover for each other. They don't know how.

Whatever. This is so basic, so fundamental to just team sports.

If you look at Orlando or OKC, as I've mentioned many times, it's taken them multiple lotteries to get the talent they needed. We've had... two? Vassell might count? Sochan and then Wembanyama?

The likely way this team gets better is incrementally. Getting the young players better, try to get some good veterans in, and draft.

That's it. Let me know if you think there's a massive party trick that no one knows about here. Let me know how getting rid of the players we have, so that we have nothing, is supposed to help when you just have to replace those players at those positions.

Like... let me know?

And no, making some trade for a 28 year old Mikal Bridges or a chucker no one likes like Trae Young is going to do it. There are no quick fixes.

As for me, I'm going to be super frustrated. But I'm also going to recognize this team is better than it was earlier in the season, and despite making mistakes, this coaching staff largely knows what it's doing and is smarter than you. I'm not going to piss and moan that Branham is struggling again. I'm going to recognize he was playing very well for a period of time. Or Collins. I'm not going to proudly beat my chest and have some circlejerk over how lousy he is, thinking my SpursTalk buddies are my friends in hate. I'm going to realize he was very good at the end of last year and something happened.

I'm going to recognize this as a process.

And, sure, I'm going to point out to the crew here that John Collins, Deandre Ayton, and the legion of other obsessions this group has, aren't really great solutions.

Got it?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin showed yesterday (he already did it in the past) that he can pass to Victor... when he wants

There shouldn't be any more excuses
    Nah..Just like devin is inconsistent in making shots.Hes also to inconsistent of a playmaking for wemby or this team.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    How many times is Branham going to turn the ball over on that lateral pass at half court with a defender right there? Will he ever learn?

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I dunno, man, I say what I think about the roster in other places.

This fanbase thinks that by ripping players constantly they can, I guess, make themselves feel great? I don't get it. The only time they show up is to start ranting about how much they hate someone. Never when a player does well. It's like they're trying to chase clout with the most revolting members of this often abject fanbase. Honestly, I really think the Spurs need to get out of San Antonio. This franchise, for all its ups and downs, does not deserve the putrid takes.

Honestly, just revolted by people coming into threads after wins just to scream about how much they hate Sochan or whoever.

Like, what the is that?

So... about roster and so on, what do you want me to say? It's a bad team that is rebuilding that got a 14% chance at a super-generational talent and got him. The team still has massive holes and is incredibly young.

1. I don't think multiple players on the team are as ty as you and other people want to think. I do think it makes you feel better, for some reason.
    3. It's really hard to have five poor and developing players on the court at once. If you had a 20 year old with four vets, they can cover for him. Five young players can't cover for each other. They don't know how.

Whatever. This is so basic, so fundamental to just team sports.

If you look at Orlando or OKC, as I've mentioned many times, it's taken them multiple lotteries to get the talent they needed. We've had... two? Vassell might count? Sochan and then Wembanyama?

The likely way this team gets better is incrementally. Getting the young players better, try to get some good veterans in, and draft.

That's it. Let me know if you think there's a massive party trick that no one knows about here. Let me know how getting rid of the players we have, so that we have nothing, is supposed to help when you just have to replace those players at those positions.

Like... let me know?

And no, making some trade for a 28 year old Mikal Bridges or a chucker no one likes like Trae Young is going to do it. There are no quick fixes.

As for me, I'm going to be super frustrated. But I'm also going to recognize this team is better than it was earlier in the season, and despite making mistakes, this coaching staff largely knows what it's doing and is smarter than you. I'm not going to piss and moan that Branham is struggling again. I'm going to recognize he was playing very well for a period of time. Or Collins. I'm not going to proudly beat my chest and have some circlejerk over how lousy he is, thinking my SpursTalk buddies are my friends in hate. I'm going to realize he was very good at the end of last year and something happened.

And, sure, I'm going to point out to the crew here that John Collins, Deandre Ayton, and the legion of other obsessions this group has, aren't really great solutions.

Got it?
    When you've won like what, 15 games all season, there's plenty to complain about. This roster is atrocious. They aren't junior varsity "my kid's out there trying his best" players.

New flash, you A) don't get rid of players and end up with nothing and B) you have basically nothing now when your rookie has to carry the team and they are bottom feeders after getting the generational talent 1st overall pick. What are you afraid of? Are you getting emotionally attached to these guys? There's no one remarkable on this team other than Victor. You build with you end up with dried . You have to build over with something a lot more solid than these guys. Plus sure they are better than earlier in the season, so would you and I be along with 3 other randoms here if we played that many games together. It doesn't make us good prospects for building around Victor.

A couple nights ago in a post game presser, Victor himself said he cannot wait for the trades in the off season. That's pretty telling for a guy with teammates who are going to be the trade fodder.
    Last edited by Tyronn Lue; 03-18-2024 at 02:40 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Idk about other posters, but why would it make me feel better?
    2. Me too. It's just that vast majority of young players who develop into legit players for playoff teams show signs of their potential right away. For example right now Wesley and Branham aren't NBA players, regardless of how we feel about it.
    Can they develop into 9-10th man in the rotation? Maybe, but what's the point? One is useless for everything other than shooting wide open threes and even then his shooting splits are bad and the other one is a point guard who can't handle the ball or shoot. By the time they reach their maximum, best case scenario development of being a 10th man on a good team, their rookie deals will expire. Are we supposed to extend them? Lonnie looked way better and is a way better player than Branham or Wesley and he wasn't good enough. We let him walk. You think these two will be different.
    3. Spot on. But why the do we have Collins, then? He's so bad that those young players who aren't good enough have to cover for him. And to make it even worse, Barlow who showed way more promise than Branham or Wesley can't get minutes because of Collins. But that's not all, now Pop started playing him together with Wemby and Wesley, so even he looks useless.

Four including Primo. A pick noone predicted and a pick that would've been a failure even if he wasn't an exhibitionist. They tried for a masterstroke pick when there were obviously better prospects available.
    Anyhow, that's four years, this year being fifth. Might even get sixth lottery pick, depending on the Raptors luck.
    That's plenty. The only team that's been in the lottery longer are the Hornets. Pistons are also in their fifth year.

I was absolutely against making any trades last summer, I was fully onboard with this being the evaluation season.
    Now it's time to get rid of useless players that had multiple years to prove themselves without any pressure of winning.

That's it. Let me know if you think there's a massive party trick that no one knows about here.
    We've established that Wemby has GOAT potential.
    We've also established that he's a center, not a power forward.
    We also know how the NBA works.
    On offense spacing is the most important thing.
    On defense switchable defenders with good wingspan are the most important thing.
    Add an elite creator to the mix and you got yourself a winning team around Wemby.

Now, back onto our roster.
    Who's good enough at spacing the floor to help our 7'4 franchise player?
    Not even about percentages, but who can create some gravity when running off the ball and make the opposition concerned about their range?
    Since trading Doug, Devin is the only one. Others mostly shoot wide open threes and still can't come even close to high 30s.

Who's good enough as a point of attack defender against leading guards? Noone.
    Who's good enough as a team defender on the perimeter? Noone. Devin isn't a massive negative and Jeremy has his moments, but others are atrocious. Yes, Tre has good IQ and instincts, but he's too undersized and gets bullied every game.
    I guess Wesley has the potential to be a great defender, but what's that good for if he can't dribble the ball or shoot at all?

Who's good enough at running the offense? Trae would be if he could shoot.

Who's good at protecting the rim when Wemby sits? We're legit the worst defensive team in history without Wemby.

Let me know how getting rid of the players we have, so that we have nothing, is supposed to help when you just have to replace those players at those positions.
    That's the entire problem.
    We have nothing of value except for a ton of picks, some cap space and Devin.
    And I'd rather have nothing than Zach ing Collins on $16M a year for the next two seasons.

If none of our players would give us even one first-rounder in return, then we have ing nothing. Just names on the roster trotting around and showing a flash of potential every other week.

I'm against trading for anyone who's already 28 and I don't want Trae unless it's for fairly cheap.

We need capable 3-D players or we're going to be a 20 win again in the next season.
    Players like Naz Reid or Herb Jones, who are still in their early 20s and on great contracts are well worth giving up some picks for. We aren't going to draft 9 rookies in the next 5 years.

But I'm also going to recognize this team is better than it was earlier in the season
    Is it?
    They won one game without Wemby and they don't have a single win without Wemby putting up a monster performance.
    Wemby is averaging 25/11/4.5 with 4 blocks in our wins.
    To me it looks like Wemby is the one improving at a ridiculous pace and winning us some games by himself.

this coaching staff largely knows what it's doing and is smarter than you
    They're most definitely smarter than me, but I won't get ahead of myself with the they know what they're doing bit.
    We're talking about the same coaching staff that started Forbes for two years while trying to compete and often played Patty/Marco/Rudy lineups.

I'm going to recognize he was playing very well for a period of time.
    And now he's back to being completely useless. What you're doing is grasping for straws.

Or Collins. I'm not going to proudly beat my chest and have some circlejerk over how lousy he is, thinking my SpursTalk buddies are my friends in hate. I'm going to realize he was very good at the end of last year and something happened.
    Yeah, we're victims of being fooled by contract year overachievement.
    I'm not even mad at him for being horrible from 3pt, he wouldn't shoot it if Pop told him to stop.
    His defense makes Bonner look like a legit rim protector, it's just inexcusable and awful.
    Am I happy that he sucks? Of course not, but that doesn't mean he should stay. He has to go.

Yes, it's a process of being in the lottery for 5 years and getting 5 (or 6) lottery selections. Process that should be over at the start of the next season.
    I'm not saying that we have to make the playoffs, but anything less than 30ish wins would be really bad.

Do you watch other teams? Whenever I do, the first thing that comes to my mind is that I'm watching a different sport.
    Both our gameplan and the execution are disgusting on both ends of the floor in most games.

Do you really think that Sochan can be our Draymond/Rodman? Or that Branham is the next Lou Williams?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was at the game, the coaches were getting in some heated discussions with each other, thought that was interesting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some great points everyone

agree Osman was crucial last night and should get more recognition

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and thanks timvp for the recap and grades

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you've won like what, 15 games all season, there's plenty to complain about. This roster is atrocious. They aren't junior varsity "my kid's out there trying his best" players.

New flash, you A) don't get rid of players and end up with nothing and B) you have basically nothing now when your rookie has to carry the team and they are bottom feeders after getting the generational talent 1st overall pick. What are you afraid of? Are you getting emotionally attached to these guys? There's no one remarkable on this team other than Victor. You build with you end up with dried . You have to build over with something a lot more solid than these guys. Plus sure they are better than earlier in the season, so would you and I be along with 3 other randoms here if we played that many games together. It doesn't make us good prospects for building around Victor.

A couple nights ago in a post game presser, Victor himself said he cannot wait for the trades in the off season. That's pretty telling for a guy with teammates who are going to be the trade fodder.
    Maybe MrBranham is Branhams dad or something

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Maybe MrBranham is Branhams dad or something
    Rebuilding doesn't mean making a lean-to.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah..Just like devin is inconsistent in making shots.Hes also to inconsistent of a playmaking for wemby or this team.
    Sure but I’ve always had doubts regarding his pure passing abilities and it was often an excuse for him, as if the risk of TO was too high

I now know he can do those passes. It’s just a matter of willingness and court vision. Those aren’t the toughest things to improve on

lets see

Thread Information