View Poll Results: Who Should be the Spurs top Draft Choice?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Sarr

9 10.23%
  • Reed Sheppard

8 9.09%
  • Zaccharie Risacher

27 30.68%
  • Nikola Topic

23 26.14%
  • Cody Williams

4 4.55%
  • Stephon Castle

2 2.27%
  • Rob Dillingham

9 10.23%
  • Matas Buzelis

4 4.55%
  • Ron Holland

2 2.27%
  • Ja'Kobe Walter or OTHER

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There sure are a lot of silent topic supporters.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only two votes for Sarr, including myself.

Do you guys think that he's not that good of a prospect or?
    To me he looks like the safest pick out of the bunch and it's not like he doesn't have good upside.

Hypothetically, if we could draft Bam Adebayo, are you telling me that you'd pass on him because of questionable fit with Wemby?

We need BPA. If they don't want Sarr, we need to get some additional assets and trade down.

I'd go for Sarr because he'd guarantee 48 minutes of elite rim protection. If we had him instead of Collins this season, we'd easily have 5 more wins due to how bad our rim protection has been when Wemby sits.
    If he never develops a jumpshot, just trade him for a better fit before he's up for extension.

It's not like there's anyone else in the draft who's a safe pick.
    Risacher won't even be in the discussion for a pick over Brandon Miller, for example.
    I was the other vote for Sarr, but my preference is to trade the pick. If you’re taking Sarr you likely have either the 1st or 2nd pick. That could a strong enticement for Atlanta. I’d go for the gusto:
    Atlanta gets SA 24, Chi 25, SA 24 SRP, Atl 27, Charlotte 25, Keldon, Zollins, Graham guaranteed
    SA gets: Young and Naz Reid
    Minny gets Sac 24 (from Atl) and 3 future SRPs from Spurs stash.

Minny goes over the 2nd apron next year without trimming payroll. The draft picks give them cost controlled players that they will desperately need.
    Whether Atl does it depends on what they think of their favorite draft pick.

Spurs starting lineup is
    Young
    Vassel
    Reid
    Sochan at the 3
    Wemby

I know the Spurs would never do such a big trade, but I can dream.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only two votes for Sarr, including myself.

Do you guys think that he's not that good of a prospect or?
    To me he looks like the safest pick out of the bunch and it's not like he doesn't have good upside.

Hypothetically, if we could draft Bam Adebayo, are you telling me that you'd pass on him because of questionable fit with Wemby?

We need BPA. If they don't want Sarr, we need to get some additional assets and trade down.

I'd go for Sarr because he'd guarantee 48 minutes of elite rim protection. If we had him instead of Collins this season, we'd easily have 5 more wins due to how bad our rim protection has been when Wemby sits.
    If he never develops a jumpshot, just trade him for a better fit before he's up for extension.

It's not like there's anyone else in the draft who's a safe pick.
    Risacher won't even be in the discussion for a pick over Brandon Miller, for example.
    Sarr is my top choice too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Voted Cody Williams

perfect body type, love his wingspan, can shoot the 3, good court vision/passing

Longer project but higher upside imo

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want Sarr wouldn’t you just go get Drummond? Seems Sarr is basically the same thing.
    I'm assuming you havnt seen Sarr in action? He had number of nbl games where he came in to hit consecutive threes or a three to turn games around for the perth wildcats . They were completely comfortable him.shootimg it. During pre game warm-up for his last cats game that i attended, he was swishing threes from Top of the key . When I started watching he hit 3 in a row.

Defensively when switched on a small on perimeter. . He had no problem staying in front , not getting beat. Again the cats were comfortable with him on switches. He was a constant presence in the paint too.

Does Drummond do any of that? Don't watch enough of him to know. Not recently that is.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drummond is more of a enforcer inside and a lot better rebounder than Sarr . So not sure of the comparison.

Sarr bulked up during the season which I think is good sign. He got pushed around or bumped off from mostly shorter bigs but with more size/ base.

Unfortunately for Sarr during the playoffs cats coach tightened the leash meaning he saw less mins and usage. Keep in mind Sarr came off bench as first string big.

Where in college. He would probably start , get more usage and put up better numbers
    Last edited by Slippy; 03-19-2024 at 03:35 AM.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rolling the dice with Topic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We already know Wembanyama doesn't work with a big.
    I'm still on the fence for the draft and waiting for all the info to come in, but still wonder why you'd say Wemby can't be paired with another big. Zach Collins is, at best, an average journeyman at this point, so I wouldn't say the experiment to pair him with Victor proved anything except that Collins is average. I still think the potential to pair Wemby with a defensive minded switchable three point shooting big could be successful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've watched almost every Spurs game this year, but so far, only highlights of this year's draft lottery candidates.

Question for anyone who has been watching more than just highlights -- who is the best prospect that's 6'6" or taller that plays the best perimeter defense, especially on switches?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still on the fence for the draft and waiting for all the info to come in, but still wonder why you'd say Wemby can't be paired with another big. Zach Collins is, at best, an average journeyman at this point, so I wouldn't say the experiment to pair him with Victor proved anything except that Collins is average. I still think the potential to pair Wemby with a defensive minded switchable three point shooting big could be successful.
    I'm not saying he can't play with Zach Collins. I'm saying he can't play well with bigs. Maybe this changes in the future, but they tried the jumbo lineup and it just brings another big defender in and gums up the spaces Victor likes to operate. Who the big was isn't the point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do yall think topic will be better then scoot

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm assuming you havnt seen Sarr in action? He had number of nbl games where he came in to hit consecutive threes or a three to turn games around for the perth wildcats . They were completely comfortable him.shootimg it. During pre game warm-up for his last cats game that i attended, he was swishing threes from Top of the key . When I started watching he hit 3 in a row.

Defensively when switched on a small on perimeter. . He had no problem staying in front , not getting beat. Again the cats were comfortable with him on switches. He was a constant presence in the paint too.

Does Drummond do any of that? Don't watch enough of him to know. Not recently that is.
    I voted for Sarr

Sarr has the most upside star potential of any player in this draft. That's why he is going to be the first player drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do yall think topic will be better then scoot
    Oh, yeah. Scoot played and finished worse in a worse league.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You're correct. I haven't seen much of him. The comp had been Duren. A more atheletic Drummond. I figured for a lot less just get Drummond. But I haven't seen a lot in the way of Sarr information and breakdowns. I was under the assumption that he was a 10 foot and in player. If he's knocking down 3's that's a lot more interesting.

I do think a paint enforcer next to Wemby is probably better than another stretch big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (Haven't logged in here for 15 years. I see you missed me. There's a lack of fantasy around here.)

Voted Sarr. The draft is like musical or cinematographic preferences: we always pick what we know. I am a Parisian delicatessen. So I only know the French "appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC)" products.

Why Sarr? Because we should not underestimate the faith of the Spurs administrators (or what remains of it from the time when I last logged in here) to reproduce a dynasty on the model of the previous one.

I have been reading you since La Parisian Patisserie was delivered to San Antonio. And I don't follow you when some of you claim that Victor can't play with another interior. From what I understand, he always preferred to play alongside another big. This made sense: Victor is a fine Patisserie, like whipped cream, he liked to play lightly on the surface of the cake, and he thus distributed powdered sugar and candy from mid-range. And then, with the Sohan experiment, with Victor's inaccuracies, there was no longer any question of icing on the cake. Victor wanted to win, and to do so, he agreed to put lightness aside. The defeats were bitter, he had to play salty and put an end to the sweet sniper shots.

"In the paint, young whisk! Go get your points under the basket, Bambi!", the OKC Thumper said.

And Vic went in the paint. Without interior next to him. Bambi is done with icing. The percentages are increasing. He comes to rub shoulders with the interiors who chase him, who double him. They, the deer hunters.

But, don't expect Bambi to bulk up. Certainly, he will drive in the paint, but a fawn remains a fawn. Victor will never become a Buck and will wait for help from an interior worthy of him.

"Sarr, yes Sarr!"

A pretty similar interior: excellent handler, capable of playing hard in the paint as well as sending three-point shots (perhaps more of a rebounder instinct than Victor naturally inclined toward offense). If the Parisian Patisserie is destined to become a superhero, a super Bruce Bro-Wayne, Sarr, "yes Sarr", is destined to be his Robin, son.

The Twin Towels are back! (Sorry, it's "Twin Towers", I'm so whipped. Cream slipped on my mouth.)

(I'm not a fan of Saccharose Riz-au-lait. As for Tidjane Salaün, his name means "salty", so I guess it's sweet.)

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're correct. I haven't seen much of him. The comp had been Duren. A more atheletic Drummond. I figured for a lot less just get Drummond. But I haven't seen a lot in the way of Sarr information and breakdowns. I was under the assumption that he was a 10 foot and in player. If he's knocking down 3's that's a lot more interesting.

I do think a paint enforcer next to Wemby is probably better than another stretch big.
    Sochan is suppose to be that stretch big because he is not a paint defender.

If Sochan can't be that stretch big then he is a poor fit for the roster.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Voted Cody Williams

perfect body type, love his wingspan, can shoot the 3, good court vision/passing

Longer project but higher upside imo
    The guy's three point shooting for the season dropped from 48% to 42% just over the last five games or so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy's three point shooting for the season dropped from 48% to 42% just over the last five games or so.
    he has made 16 three pointers in 21 games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've watched almost every Spurs game this year, but so far, only highlights of this year's draft lottery candidates.

Question for anyone who has been watching more than just highlights -- who is the best prospect that's 6'6" or taller that plays the best perimeter defense, especially on switches?
    Castle looks pretty elite defensively on the perimeter. Great at fighting over screens and keeping glued onto his man and is 6'6". He also cannot shoot and is a role player offensively on UConn so he's not likely to provide much offensively in the NBA either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he has made 16 three pointers in 21 games

Yeah five games going 0-1 dragged his percentage down pretty far

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t say he was a 3pts threat, just that he can, he’s got a good shooting motion and still a freshman. I don’t see why he couldn’t be good at it. It’s something u can learn

You can’t teach/learn his body type tho, his length is amazing and exactly what the Spurs need on the wing.

he’s a good and wiling passer, attacks the rim …

In a draft with very little certainties, he’s to me the best bet since Topic has been injured (who’d have been my 1st choice otherwise)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It boggles my mind that people keep advocating for limited to non shooters, who don't possess primary creation upside either as well as bigs with limited ball skills to play alongside Wembanyama.

Completely ignorant to today's game and what, among other things, has been killing this team for going on a decade.

Didn’t say he was a 3pts threat, just that he can, he’s got a good shooting motion and still a freshman. I don’t see why he couldn’t be good at it. It’s something u can learn
    This mentality is the reason why this organization has been behind the curve in an evolution that's going on 9 years old.

By far the most likely outcome with that is to get someone who's borderline competent but limited to spot ups that the defense pays little to no mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cody Williams has such a slow shot, it's easy to guard. Beyond this, he barely takes any, maybe to save his percentage or whatever. Beyond this, he's taken exactly one for each of his last five games and has missed every single one.

Really isn't looking great lately either. Didn't play down the stretch in the conference tourney championship because he was so ineffective. He has a long, long way to go.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It boggles my mind that people keep advocating for limited to non shooters, who don't possess primary creation upside either as well as bigs with limited ball skills to play alongside Wembanyama.

Completely ignorant to today's game and what, among other things, has been killing this team for going on a decade.

This mentality is the reason why this organization has been behind the curve in an evolution that's going on 9 years old.

By far the most likely outcome with that is to get someone who's borderline competent but limited to spot ups that the defense pays little to no mind.
    but who are the shooters in this draft without being a liability in defense?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've given up on trying to read the draft tea leaves. I'll just wait until draft day to be disappointed.

Thread Information