View Poll Results: Who Should be the Spurs top Draft Choice?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Sarr

9 10.23%
  • Reed Sheppard

8 9.09%
  • Zaccharie Risacher

27 30.68%
  • Nikola Topic

23 26.14%
  • Cody Williams

4 4.55%
  • Stephon Castle

2 2.27%
  • Rob Dillingham

9 10.23%
  • Matas Buzelis

4 4.55%
  • Ron Holland

2 2.27%
  • Ja'Kobe Walter or OTHER

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With this year's draft class looking underwhelming, who should the spurs prioritize in this year's draft. Also, with March Madness here, who should we have our eyes on and rooting for.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want Sarr wouldn’t you just go get Drummond? Seems Sarr is basically the same thing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm voting for the biggest question mark right now (Topic).... because if he's legit, he's exactly what we need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    torn between risacher and dillingham. voted risacher despite his stretch of slow games. but dillingham becomes more and more tempting every time he plays

Believe.
    Post Count
    If there’s even just 10% chance Cody becomes his brother Jalen, draft Cody!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want the best player available, regardless of fit. Sarr being the obvious example.
    If that player is actually the real deal, we can always flip him for another great player, like what Kings and Pacers did.

I wrote about it many times and explained why, I don't want Topic.
    If they're to gamble and get a point guard, rather get Dillingham. Maybe we get the new Iverson, who knows. Others don't have star potential.

But I'd rather get wings. Even if we get the Raptors pick, just draft two wings, our current wings are atrocious.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every night I dream of Reed Shepphard in Silver and black coming around a screen and bottoming a three.
    Haven't seen that on the spurs roster in years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't watched mutch of their game, but from the limited highlights I've seen and with their body frame, ron holland and cody williams look like you could make something out of them. Although I wouldn't be unhappy with a gamble at risacher.

Although, we are in desperate need of a point guard, I think FA, sign and trade, or gamble at next year's draft is the better option. Will reserve the option to change my mind once I see kentucky play thursday.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    torn between risacher and dillingham. voted risacher despite his stretch of slow games. but dillingham becomes more and more tempting every time he plays
    Dillingham and Sheppard are the only players in this class I can watch a full game of and not be disgusted at the thought of the Spurs using a top 7 pick on them.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven’t watched any of these guys this year (other than the Kentucky duo), but the idea of the spurs drafting topic is frightening. A teenager that has barely even played, who adds another non-shooter to this roster full of non-shooters makes no sense. If we’re going to gamble, id rather gamble on dillingham or reed, or even Risacher

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol at non-public polls

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol at non-public polls
    You get more honest answers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dillingham and Sheppard are the only players in this class I can watch a full game of and not be disgusted at the thought of the Spurs using a top 7 pick on them.
    topic scares me but i also think he's the natural guy to pair sheppard with

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I voted Matas. I just feel like he is the best combination of floor, upside and fit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they should use the pick to trade for a wing, PG, or PF that can shoot the 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I voted Matas. I just feel like he is the best combination of floor, upside and fit.
    Well his three point shooting this year definitely fits with this roster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well his three point shooting this year definitely fits with this roster
    right now he's brandon ingram without a jumper

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    topic scares me but i also think he's the natural guy to pair sheppard with
    I'd be ok taking Topic 7-10 because who the else is there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be ok taking Topic 7-10 because who the else is there
    yeah if we're picking, say, 6 and 7 or 6 and 8, would be a spot to take sheppard/topic duo if they're there

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only two votes for Sarr, including myself.

Do you guys think that he's not that good of a prospect or?
    To me he looks like the safest pick out of the bunch and it's not like he doesn't have good upside.

Hypothetically, if we could draft Bam Adebayo, are you telling me that you'd pass on him because of questionable fit with Wemby?

We need BPA. If they don't want Sarr, we need to get some additional assets and trade down.

I'd go for Sarr because he'd guarantee 48 minutes of elite rim protection. If we had him instead of Collins this season, we'd easily have 5 more wins due to how bad our rim protection has been when Wemby sits.
    If he never develops a jumpshot, just trade him for a better fit before he's up for extension.

It's not like there's anyone else in the draft who's a safe pick.
    Risacher won't even be in the discussion for a pick over Brandon Miller, for example.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah if we're picking, say, 6 and 7 or 6 and 8, would be a spot to take sheppard/topic duo if they're there
    I'd be floored to see Sheppard still on the board at 6. I was thinking more like if the Spurs got the #4 and the #7 so miss out on Risacher, Sarr, and Dillingham.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To me he looks like the safest pick out of the bunch and it's not like he doesn't have good upside.

Hypothetically, if we could draft Bam Adebayo, are you telling me that you'd pass on him because of questionable fit with Wemby?

We need BPA. If they don't want Sarr, we need to get some additional assets and trade down.

I'd go for Sarr because he'd guarantee 48 minutes of elite rim protection. If we had him instead of Collins this season, we'd easily have 5 more wins due to how bad our rim protection has been when Wemby sits.
    If he never develops a jumpshot, just trade him for a better fit before he's up for extension.

Risacher won't even be in the discussion for a pick over Brandon Miller, for example.
    I acknowledge up front I might just be undereducated on Sarr, but he doesn’t sound like any better of a prospect than Jalen Duren, who wasn’t exciting enough to take late lotto when it would have been a better fit (pre-Wemby)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

We need BPA.
    If they don't want Sarr, we need to get some additional assets and trade down.

We already know Wembanyama doesn't work with a big. That's a rather large question going forward, but there was information we got from all those losses when the Spurs tried a super-jumbo lineup. It doesn't work.

And why is Sarr the BPA? I'd say it's Dillingham, as the most talented player in the draft. Are you just assuming he's BPA because some people started putting him on the top of the draft board? Two years ago everyone started putting Jabari Smith Jr on the top of the draft boards and he's definitely not the best player in that draft. He wasn't even best back then.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I acknowledge up front I might just be undereducated on Sarr, but he doesn’t sound like any better of a prospect than Jalen Duren, who wasn’t exciting enough to take late lotto when it would have been a better fit (pre-Wemby)
    I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but Sarr looks like a way better defensive prospect and a sure thing on that end.
    Duren is just a great rebounder and a subpar defender.

We already know Wembanyama doesn't work with a big. That's a rather large question going forward, but there was information we got from all those losses when the Spurs tried a super-jumbo lineup. It doesn't work.
    Agreed. That's why rookie Sarr wouldn't start.
    Big lineups don't work if the big playing next to Wemby is an awful defender and can't switch.
    Sarr is projected to be an Adebayo-like defender and he'd be playing the PF role on defense if needed.

Offense would be a rough fit early on, but Wemby won't play more than 30mpg anytime soon and those backup minutes would be plenty for him to develop.
    I think you underrate the impact of having elite rim protection all game long, I'd say that would be as good as having a legit 20ppg scorer off the bench.

Then a few years down the road, trade him for a great return if he doesn't improve his range.

And why is Sarr the BPA? Are you just assuming he's BPA because some people started putting him on the top of the draft board? Two years ago everyone started putting Jabari Smith Jr on the top of the draft boards and he's definitely not the best player in that draft. He wasn't even best back then.
    I said he's the safest pick. Even if he doesn't live up to the hype of being the next Adebayo, he'd be a great defensive big and we wouldn't have to worry about our bigs for the next decade.
    Meanwhile, all those wings have fundamental flaws and question marks. Unlike Miller last year, none of them are guaranteed to be good shooters.
    What then? As you said, not having range is a big issue. But unlike Sarr, those other prospects can't play backup C and aren't projected to be elite defenders.

I'd say it's Dillingham, as the most talented player in the draft.
    Easily. But you're also adamant about not wanting Trae because he's an undersized chucker and a traffic cone on defense. Which is a fair take.
    Dillingham obviously has star potential, but it's also really hard to evaluate how will his skillset translate to the NBA since he's so undersized and weak.
    He could be the next Iverson. Or Maxey. Or Jordan Clarkson. Or Trey Burke. Or Isaiah Canaan.
    If he's Isaiah Canaan, congrats, we wasted another lottery pick. Second one in four years.

Still, Dillingham is the only point guard I'd use a top5 pick on. Not Topic and not Sheppard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Voted for Risacher and a Trae Young trade.

Thread Information