Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thx mate

What about Argentina? I know u got eliminated for the Olympics but is there some new hope coming?

Any baby Manu-Scola…?
    Nah, it's all soccer right now down here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If muricans bring their A-team, and looks like Curry, Lebron, KD... could be up for it, there's no compe ion. Only flaw could be at C but if Embiid is healhy and can play, they'll cruise to the gold.

There's no teams like Argentina or even Spain of the past. It's pretty mediocre overall. Even World champions Germany are actually meh.

France have a nice big 3 in Wemby/Gobert/Batum but there's a gap behind, with a real problem at PG. Add TP in there, and that would be something else tho.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-19-2024 at 04:09 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i still think the gap is massive, but depends on final rosters. if embiid plays its a huge difference maker and probably gives them a near guarantee imho. he would murder euro style of play in the interior
    Embiid is the Harden of centers, he can't murder without NBA's regular season type officiating, tbh.

What's the best team the US can field out there: SGA, ANT, Lebron, Durant, Embiid? Curry in there for SGA or ANT, maybe?

That's obviously a great lineup, still not an automatic win on a 40 minutes game under FIBA's rules and style of play against the likes of Jokic, Giannis, Wemby, Luka, etc.

Luka could literally have one of those "one man offense" games he has from time to time and easily kick the US out of the tournament in 40 minutes.
    Last edited by DAF86; 03-19-2024 at 04:08 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, it's all soccer right now down here.
    Fair enough

Btw my team is eyeing the next gem from River (Mastantuono 16yo)

Most of my favorite players are Argentinians (Pastore & DiMaria in particular)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough

You lost me at Pastore, man.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You lost me at Pastore, man.

ok let’s go off topic a sec…

Yes Pastore isn’t in the same category of (other) greats in terms of resume and individual accomplishments.

But he’s the ultimate elegance on the field and gave me the same pleasure Zidane gave me with his unique control and touch of the ball.
    Like Zidane he wasn’t very productive stats wise but he was a beauty and made others shine with his passes.
    Unfortunately he’s made of sugar when Zidane had an amazing (underrated) physique.

Pastore is for the romantiques

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Embiid is the Harden of centers, he can't murder without NBA's regular season type officiating, tbh.

What's the best team the US can field out there: SGA, ANT, Lebron, Durant, Embiid? Curry in there for SGA or ANT, maybe?

That's obviously a great lineup, still not an automatic win on a 40 minutes game under FIBA's rules and style of play against the likes of Jokic, Giannis, Wemby, Luka, etc.

Luka could literally have one of those "one man offense" games he has from time to time and easily kick the US out of the tournament in 40 minutes.
    SGA is a Canadian. He even played for canada last world cup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I n my opinion the US will still win the Gold if they bring their best players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If muricans bring their A-team, and looks like Curry, Lebron, KD... could be up for it, there's no compe ion. Only flaw could be at C but if Embiid is healhy and can play, they'll cruise to the gold.

There's no teams like Argentina or even Spain of the past. It's pretty mediocre overall. Even World champions Germany are actually meh.

France have a nice big 3 in Wemby/Gobert/Batum but there's a gap behind, with a real problem at PG. Add TP in there, and that would be something else tho.
    The gap between international teams and US is much closer than before.. even young team USA won the gold in 2010 world cup.. that was USA team B.

Infact most superstars in NBA right now who's in their prime are not americans.. Jokic, Luka,Giannis, SGA, Wemby,Gobert, etc...
    Last edited by skin27; 03-19-2024 at 04:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The gap between international teams and US is much closer than before.. even young team USA won the gold in 2010 world cup.. that was USA team B.

Infact most superstars in NBA right now who's in their prime are not americans.. Jokic, Luka,Giannis, SGA, Wemby,Gobert, etc...
    If they put their best players on the floor, it's still Murica and the rest of the world. Not even close. Sure put Luka, Jocik, Giannis and Wemby on the same team and we're talking but the don'tt have the supporting crew to compete in thier respective teams and Germany is just a sparing partner for Team USA...

The "golden generation" of Argentina or prime Pau Gasol's spain would have a remote chance out of chemistry and collective knowledge, but not other current team can even sniff USA A team sneakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they put their best players on the floor, it's still Murica and the rest of the world. Not even close. sure put Luka, Jocik, Giannis and Wemby on the same team and we're talking but the don'tt have the supporting crew to compete in thier respective teams and Germany is a sparing partner for Team USA...

The "golden generation" of Argentina or prime Pau Gasol's spain would have a remote chance out of chemistry and collective knowledge, but not other current team can even sniff muricans sneakers.

The world is catching up now compared to15 years ago.. the best players in the NbA right now are international players..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The world is catching up now compared to15 years ago.. the best players in the NbA right now are international players..
    yeah, but there's no "Europe Team" in the Olympics.

What are Slovenia, Serbia, or Grece second and third best players?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they put their best players on the floor, it's still Murica and the rest of the world. Not even close. Sure put Luka, Jocik, Giannis and Wemby on the same team and we're talking but the don'tt have the supporting crew to compete in thier respective teams and Germany is just a sparing partner for Team USA...

The "golden generation" of Argentina or prime Pau Gasol's spain would have a remote chance out of chemistry and collective knowledge, but not other current team can even sniff USA A team sneakers.

If you put jokic, luka, giannis and wemby on the same team the US will lose for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, but there's no "Europe Team" in the Olympics

Yes right but the gap isnt wide big anymore unlike before.. US team B cant even win the world cup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes right but the gap isnt wide big anymore unlike before.. US team B cant even win the world cup.
    It's not so much about talent than Team USA changing roster and coaches every compe ion with only a few weeks to create a new team, while other teams have years and several compe ions of corporate knowledge, plus the advantage of playing FIBA BB all year long.

But yeah, the gap has still narrowed and the rest of the world isn"t scared" or impressed anymore to play the ricans. They're more confident.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not so much about talent than Team USA changing roster and coaches every compe ion with only a few weeks to create a new team, while other teams have years and several compe ions of corporate knowledge, plus the advantage of playing FIBA BB all year long.

You dont get the point.. its simple just accept that international teams are catching up on team USA.. US is not that dominant as before.. they might lose couple of games this voming olynpics

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You dont get the point.. its simple just accept that international teams are catching up on team USA.. US is not that dominant as before.. they might lose couple of games this voming olynpics
    Nope, USA A Team is still scorching anyone. there were much more other talented teams in these past decades (Argentina, Spain, France, Yougoslavia)... the current teams are pretty mediocre, they're just more prepared but talent wise, there were much better euro teams in the past.

A Curry, Lebron, Durant, Tatum, Harden, Kawhi, Paul George, Butler, Devin Booker, Embiid, Chet, Adebayo, Brook Lopez (to name a few) US Team is destroying everybody. Nobody's beating that team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    many of the best nba players are international, yes. but this is not "usa vs world"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope, USA A Team is still scorching anyone. there were much more other talented teams in these past decades (Argentina, Spain, France, Yougoslavia)... the current teams are pretty mediocre, they're just more prepared but talent wise, there were much better euro teams in the past.

A Curry, Lebron, Durant, Tatum, Harden, Kawhi, Paul George, Butler, Devin Booker, Embiid, Chet, Adebayo, Brook Lopez (to name a few) US Team is destroying everybody. Nobody's beating that team.

We'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    many of the best nba players are international, yes. but this is not "usa vs world"

It means more threat to US

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It means more threat to US
    yeah i wont argue with claims that the gap has certainly narrowed

with that said, if the US puts out their A-Team, which they havent in a while, they should still stampede the tournament imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And dont forget this might be the last olympics for Curry Lebron and Durant.. 2028 olympics and so on the US is doomed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah i wont argue with claims that the gap has certainly narrowed

with that said, if the US puts out their A-Team, which they havent in a while, they should still stampede the tournament imo

Im not sure cause curry lebron and durant are old..this might be their last olympics.. the future of US basketball is
    Doomed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair enough

First Echeverri, now Mastantuono. Let us enjoy our kids a bit longer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im not sure cause curry lebron and durant are old..this might be their last olympics.. the future of US basketball is
    Doomed.
    i dont know about doomed, but the door will definitely open for other countries. durant has been the easy button for the US team for the last 3 olympics. he dragged them at various points in 2021 when guys like lollard were ting the bed

Thread Information