Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mods, I am much too lazy to check whether this is a duplicate thread, please merge if so. That said, I thought this was pretty interesting, to see this way too early 2025 mock nba draft:

2025 NBA Draft: ESPN releases first way-too-early mock draft (on3.com)

It has the Spurs with the:

#5 pick (our own, sadly)
    #8 pick (from TOR)
    #9 pick (from ATL)

Wait a minute I thought, as I scanned the rest of the first round. What about that CHI pick? Then I saw they had CHI picking #4, OMG. Which got me thinking, what if CHI picked #11 (we get their pick except it is top 10 protected). Then we would have 4 picks in the top 11! I have never heard of such a thing?!?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol...This upcoming draft is so bad I was thinking about creating the 2025 mock- glad you did....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mods, I am much too lazy to check whether this is a duplicate thread, please merge if so. That said, I thought this was pretty interesting, to see this way too early 2025 mock nba draft:

#5 pick (our own, sadly)
    #8 pick (from TOR)
    #9 pick (from ATL)

Wait a minute I thought, as I scanned the rest of the first round. What about that CHI pick? Then I saw they had CHI picking #4, OMG. Which got me thinking, what if CHI picked #11 (we get their pick except it is top 10 protected). Then we would have 4 picks in the top 11! I have never heard of such a thing?!?
    Make it 5 within the top 15 if Charlotte somehow sneaks into the playoffs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make it 5 within the top 15 if Charlotte somehow sneaks into the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

#5 pick (our own, sadly)
    #8 pick (from TOR)
    #9 pick (from ATL)

And what if Charlotte decides to try, and actually makes the playoffs? 5 FRPs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what if Charlotte decides to try, and actually makes the playoffs? 5 FRPs.
    So we also have people saying our FRPs are gold, and others saying we can't draft so the picks are less valuable. The truth likely lies somewhere in between, but this idea of protected picks is rubbish. I could see top 3 protection or something like that, but top 6, top 10, top 14, every permutation come on man. I was pleased to see that for the CHI pick, we get another 3 years of top 8 protection, hard to see CHI being that bad for that long. Sad to be "treadmilling" with DeRozan, but better them than us!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we also have people saying our FRPs are gold, and others saying we can't draft so the picks are less valuable. The truth likely lies somewhere in between, but this idea of protected picks is rubbish. I could see top 3 protection or something like that, but top 6, top 10, top 14, every permutation come on man. I was pleased to see that for the CHI pick, we get another 3 years of top 8 protection, hard to see CHI being that bad for that long. Sad to be "treadmilling" with DeRozan, but better them than us!
    Charlotte’s pick was essentially a throw in to the Dejointe trade. The hilarious thing is that it was originally traded by Charlotte to NY to draft Kai Jones for them. NYtraded it to ATL,who then traded it to us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s say it played out this way but CHI actually ends up with the #11 pick, giving us 5, 8, 9 and 11.

I don’t even know what you do in that scenario. Every team in the league will know that you need to be sellers, and will be looking to take advantage of that. Your best options might be a scenario where a very good team has cap issues and needs to offload a really good veteran, and getting one of those later lottery picks (9 or 11) gives them some cost controlled talent. If you ended up with CHA at #15 also? LOL, that would be a nightmare scenario for everyone except NBA2K GMs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s say it played out this way but CHI actually ends up with the #11 pick, giving us 5, 8, 9 and 11.

I don’t even know what you do in that scenario. Every team in the league will know that you need to be sellers, and will be looking to take advantage of that. Your best options might be a scenario where a very good team has cap issues and needs to offload a really good veteran, and getting one of those later lottery picks (9 or 11) gives them some cost controlled talent. If you ended up with CHA at #15 also? LOL, that would be a nightmare scenario for everyone except NBA2K GMs.
    It's a problem i wouldn't mind having... although i hope we can sign a floor raising vet this summer and start to create an iden y that results in a play-in opportunity..

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if the Spurs land the top two picks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if the Spurs land the top two picks.
    I like that!

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I made a thread for this already but since Spurstalk itself a month or so ago I can't look for it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I made a thread for this already but since Spurstalk itself a month or so ago I can't look for it
    That makes me feel better!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like that!

Add Wemby and you get your starting 5 and 6th man

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Generous of ESPN to think a team with Jeremy Sochan starting isn’t a bottom 4 team in the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Add Wemby and you get your starting 5 and 6th man
    This cleaning house idea may just work!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You don't wait that long imo. If the TOR pick doesn't convey this year, bundle it with the CHI and CHA picks and get a good player. Hang on to ATL plus own. If we go past the trade deadline with 5 potential picks we've got the stupidest FO ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't wait that long imo. If the TOR pick doesn't convey this year, bundle it with the CHI and CHA picks and get a good player. Hang on to ATL plus own. If we go past the trade deadline with 5 potential picks we've got the stupidest FO ever.
    challenge accepted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    challenge accepted

We need a brian wrong emoji

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather have the problem of having 4 high draft picks in 1 year then getting 1 late first every year. If it's me I am hunting for the best two players I think will be starters on this team and if I have to move up a couple of spots I have ammunition to do so. So far in the 2025 draft they are 8 picks that I think are easily better then any of our current players not named Wemby.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes the idea here is keep some of the picks and trade some along with offloading a few of our current roster mistakes onto any team dumb enough to facilitate.

Thread Information