Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook is not a fan of Wemby.
    Feels like the issue you're having is that you think "being a fan of Wemby" means agreeing with the various leaps in logic and conspiracies people on this board make to justify or excuse their irrational expectations. The reality is that being a fan of his doesn't have a handbook or an orthodoxy. There's plenty of room to be a fan of his while coming to vastly different conclusions.

As an example, you think me saying the Spurs' last three Wemby-less games aren't meaningless must mean that I think Wemby is hurting the team. The only reason why that logic fits in your head is because people started off with the premise "Victor is a GOAT prospect and must have the immediate impact of other GOAT prospects." Then when the team didn't win more games, you had to come up with the entire team and staff being horrible to balance out Wemby's greatness. So when that horrible roster with a horrible coaching staff plays quality ball without him, the foundation of the belief starts to crumble. The only way to save it is to believe the games are flukes with no meaning to them.

For me, though, I don't give a about Wemby matching some legacy or living up to some standard. He's a rookie and deserves all of the consideration and grace every other rookie gets. So the team losing games with him doesn't bother me -- I don't think it has to be someone's "fault". I wanted them to approach this season differently, but I'll take the draft pick. When the guys start to play well without Wemby, it gets to be a completely uncomplicated good thing. I don't have any investment in the surrounding cast being bad. I can look at the games and say "Yep, it means they played well, that they have some talent and that the coach was able to get through to them in a way he wasn't able to do earlier." They're going to still have this same coach and most of these same players next year. There's zero downside to them looking good.

So yeah, I'm not really critical of Wemby very often at all. I'm much more often critical of how fans and the media bring their own baggage into conversations about him. I think Wemby's having a great rookie year, but a lot of fans don't because he's not meeting their unfair expectations of him. That they chose to cast blame on everyone else doesn't really change the fact that they can't just be happy with Victor being who he is and letting him develop. He can't be on the way to being a championship centerpiece -- he has to already be there but missing a championship core. He can't just be compe ive -- he has to be upset with PATFO for not meeting his standards. He can't just be a young man who is trying to develop chemistry with his teammates -- he has to be the target of a concerted effort to freeze him out due to their jealousy of his s om.

It's exhausting, and folks like you who pretend to understand how all that is bull but then turn around and repeat it just take the cake. I am a big proponent of just letting Wemby be the 20-year-old rookie he is. Failing to see him isn't the same thing as supporting him.

Dude literally said it’s hard to make an entry pass. Weird bc Manu and Tony made them all the time. It seemed to work out. Didn’t here nary a word from Chinook, oh Manu has to stop with that high risk entry pass.
    Entry passes aren't hard, which is why the Spurs make them to other players routinely. The passes people wanted them to make to Wemby with him being triple covered and a guy in the passer's face are the hard passes. You could see this by actually looking at film of other Spurs post-ups, but part of the package with this crew is being unwilling to entertain any evidence that doesn't support their preconceived notions.

Lobs are another ing easy pass
    Lobs are neither an easy or a hard pass. They are a tool used in certain situations. Their advantage is supposed to be their high trajectory, but necessary downside is that they're slow. In many cases where people call for lobs, it's not the right pass. Teams can and do react to it when they're in defensive position. That's why it's far more common to see it thrown against a moving defense. This is basic one could just look up, but whatever.

Also no Chinook that Wemby has stuff to work on but he’s the young one on the team. People say that Sochan and Vassell and Tre are young but Wemby is younger than all those mofos and you give them a way higher pass for being ty rather than Wemby for actually being good
    This is a nothingburger of a paragraph. Talking about improvement areas isn't hate. The reason why it's important to talk about where Victor is is because he sets the timeline. Folks don't understand how much development is left, so they're trying to accelerate past where he is and then try to pass off that lack of context as being "What Wemby wants" and impart all of their basketball-related fears and insecurities onto it. It doesn't matter if Sochan or Jones or Johnson is ready to go or needs to improve. None of them is guaranteed to be on the team next year. The only piece that currently matters is Wemby. MAYBE Vassell matters too but only within the context of Wemby's timeline. Victor can take as much time as he needs to get ready. The important thing is to understand that he does need that time, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The issue is not one of trying to be overly critical of Wemby it is simply about wanting to discus ways he and the team can all improve. Wemby having too many turnovers or the team not playing better overall with him are topics related to both how he and the team can improve and not as simply characterized as saying Wemby sucks or is not great already but rather simply wanting to discuss that path for improvement as we all want to see happen.
    It’s not the issue at all. Nobody is saying Wemby is perfect but let’s not put on him the limitations of his teammates.

Chinook can keep acting all patronising but he’s said so many stupid things for so many years one would expect a bit more humility from him.

he constantly sees at best the glass half empty in all his post about Wemby and clearly he’d prefer the Spurs to have Chet when u read his posts.

i don’t really care and find it quite entertaining tbh but we’re reaching a funny level of absurdity. Let’s focus on the players that have no future and focus on why Wemby can’t adapt his game to them!

Poor Chinook is « exhausted » apparently

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook is this true that you’d rather have Chet than Wemby? That sounds unbelievable to me?!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook is this true that you’d rather have Chet than Wemby? That sounds unbelievable to me?!?
    no. It's just another knot some folks are tying themselves in to not have to reconsider their opinions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When there are no arguments, make up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When there are no arguments, make up.
    that's the law of the land in America

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no. It's just another knot some folks are tying themselves in to not have to reconsider their opinions
    Sounds like we have a combination of disingenuous and grudge holding going on here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like we have a combination of disingenuous and grudge holding going on here.
    Please tell me you’re not serious…??

If you are both u and chinook need to consult urgently.

Not having any sense of humour is a classic criteria of stupidity and lack of awareness.

You take care buddy

Edit / Just add ambchang to your group ^^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just can't believe Chinook would trade VW for Chet straight up. wtf

Thread Information