SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even when Wemby is nowhere close to the shooter, he will just jump straight up to kinda attempting to "distract" the shooter.

Usually it has no impact and the ball still swish through.

Would it be better for Wemby to preserve his stamina by not jumping and also to avoid awkward landing and risk ankle sprain?

Wonder why Pop and the coaches never tell him on this.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's young. That should go away after a few years. Hopefully, going for up-fakes will go away too. The whole team goes for up-fakes and overreact to pretty much everything. There all young and kinda dumb. Put a few more years on those legs and heads...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even when Wemby is nowhere close to the shooter, he will just jump straight up to kinda attempting to "distract" the shooter.

Usually it has no impact and the ball still swish through.

Would it be better for Wemby to preserve his stamina by not jumping and also to avoid awkward landing and risk ankle sprain?

Wonder why Pop and the coaches never tell him on this.
    Luke Kornet of the Celtics started that. If you time it right, it’s supposed to distract, and also block the sightline to the rim.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luke Kornet of the Celtics started that. If you time it right, it’s supposed to distract, and also block the sightline to the rim.
    Also it's been proven to actually be effective in lowering the field goal percentage. Victor isn't doing this randomly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s the Kornet contest.

wemby hasn’t seemed to get results out of it though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s the Kornet contest.

wemby hasn’t seemed to get results out of it though
    Yes, somehow Kornet is able to distract his opponents. Even bballbreakdown has a video on that.

But for Wemby, it is not as effective and he should preserve his strength and lessen risk of injury. There is always some probability of injury with each jump...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw this and thought it was dumb as when he would do it. Now I see that someone actually was using it as a tactic with some effect which is interesting. When I recalled Wemby doing it, he was really kind of half ass doing it. Kornet goes all out like it's his mission in life. I would not mind seeing Wemby try it, for realz, just to see if his superior size made the bizarre move effective, in which case it's not nearly so bizarre. Injury risk, overstated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let him play. Trust him. Sky is the limit with him: one day the boy will end up flying away or deflecting balls just with his mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just... you've got to like... jump through so many mental hoops to think you're on to something that Wemby isn't...

I came into this thread thinking you were going to mention his weird habit of pulling down on his shorts all the time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have noticed that, and I just assumed he's instinctively simulating the motion of blocking the shot. It's like he's so good at blocks, even when it's physically impossible to block a shot, he still goes through the motion of it anyway just in case

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just... you've got to like... jump through so many mental hoops to think you're on to something that Wemby isn't...

I came into this thread thinking you were going to mention his weird habit of pulling down on his shorts all the time

I think it's actually his boxer beneath his short he's pulling down, his big balls need some ventilation...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, anyone that's ever played ball and given a about defense will do anything to distract a shooter even if they're out of range. Yelling, clapping, jumping, etc. Sure it doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are only so much mileage that the knees can take. Better for Wemby to preserve and extend his career tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are only so much mileage that the knees can take. Better for Wemby to preserve and extend his career tbh.
    Wemby seems like the second coming of Wilt. Huge difference is he's been doing things for his body for years to prepare himself. At first, I had concerns, but after seeing all of the stretching and time he's put into his body; I'm more in the camp of letting him cook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm actually on the preservation train here. At the start of the season, I liked the attempts. But I don't think they're particularly effective. Would love seeing a stat prove me wrong, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does it because he knows it works.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...boston-celtics

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    This is like telling a boxer to not throw measurement jabs, because the long term damage on the elbow. It's what he does, because that's his level of focus. If the Spurs get a better roster, Victor probably doesn't try as hard to guard 1 through 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He took “hand down man down” too literally

Thread Information