Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spot on.
    For years, if not decades, we laughed at teams stuck in infinite loops of tanking and rebuilding.
    It was always obvious that competent front offices and coaches get it done with way less and that no team needs to spend 5 years in the lottery, which has started happening more and more often.
    Competent teams get it done with next to nothing, incompetent ones get complacent and rely on lottery odds. When those odds don't work out, they've got no clue how to draft the best player available.
    Look at the teams with longest lottery streaks right now, it's Hornets followed by Pistons and Spurs.
    Three teams that are still garbage, despite many lottery seasons.

When will mainstream Spurs media start asking questions about PATFO?
    If not for 14% odds going our way, we'd be two years away from being two years away. Four lottery picks on the roster already, with one more coming up.
    And people want more tanking? For what? So they can pile up more charity cases?

All of PATFO's mistakes ever since nephew took a on everything were erased in last year's lottery. No point thinking about those decisions anymore.
    But if they up the draft yet again someone needs to go. It's been long overdue.

Right now this roster has nothing other than Wemby.
    Devin is a solid player, but his contract is questionable. He's the most common archetype in the league, scoring wing with limited playmaking and defensive skills. You can find those everywhere.
    Jeremy is a fundamentally flawed player who needs improvements in way too many areas to ever be anything more than a glue guy off the bench.
    Others are not worth mentioning. I'd really like to hear from posters who think others on this roster have a future as rotation players on playoff teams. Do you guys even watch other teams around the league?
    We're so bad we just grasp for straws and try to stay positive. Someone makes a couple of layups or open shots, you'll have posts about their potential in here. No, Blake Wesley will never be a good NBA player. Neither will Branham or Champagnie. Their best case ceiling is 10th man for regular season rotation that doesn't even play in the playoffs. You don't waste seasons waiting for such players to develop.

I just want to hear the discussions they had before giving Collins that extension. Was there a single team in the league that was thinking about giving $32M to Collins making PATFO react?
    I'm sick of family atmosphere and we like what we have bull . Yeh, Collins' recovery is a great story, but it doesn't warrant a $32M extension. Spurs saved his career when noone wanted him, he's forever indebted, not the other way around.

I can get behind waiting for the next year's draft, but not going for a star player right away doesn't mean they shouldn't do anything.
    This team desperately needs two good veterans. One at point and the other one at wing. No ifs or buts. Having a trash team with no structure whatsoever just stagnates everyone's development.
    Winning is the best way to develop young players. Losing builds bad habits and ruins players.
    You nailed it with this post. No other coach or front office in any sport would be given this degree of freedom to be bad for so long. Even the most direct contemporary to Pop, Bill Belichick, wasn't given this degree of la ude.

Ever since Pop took the mic to ask fans to stop booing an opposing player shooting FTs and I awoke from my sniffer fever dream, I've been asking the same question: What has PAFTO done in the post-Kawhi era to give anyone confidence that they are the right people to lead this rebuilding effort? Their history of team building 25 years ago is great lore, but it's no longer relevant. The banners hanging from the rafters are something we can be proud of - but they mean jack in terms of what happens from here. "Past performance does not guarantee future results", as mandated by the SEC to be disclosed on mutual funds applies here.

This FO has zero accountability. Ownership gives them carte blanche to do what they want, Spurs media asks zero questions, and fans slurp it up like its a Whataburger milkshake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the positive side... let's for a moment take Brian Windhorst's comment, which is most likely nothing more than his opinion on what they Spurs will do this summer, and assume it comes directly from Pop's mouth and is gospel.

There is still quite a range of outcomes that fall within "not looking to make any big moves/trades and focusing on the 2025 draft". The Spurs could do any of the following and still fit that statement:
    1. The Spurs could quite literally run it back with the same team plus a couple of draft picks. Cedi is the teams only UFA. They could not resign him (though I actually think we may and that might be a good move) and release Graham, and add two new rookies and boom, offseason done. That fits the statement.
    2. The Spurs could send a few SRPs for Brogdon, sign Malik Monk or Grayson Allen, trade Keldon for another vet role player, add some rookies. I wouldn't call any of those "big moves" - they would be big for the Spurs, who usually don't do much, but they aren't big in the context of what normal teams do all the time. This would probably make our team significantly better while preserving all of our draft capital for some other move at the deadline or next offseason. This fits the statement.
    3. The Spurs could do some combination of the above while seeing how the first part of the season shakes up and where those draft picks are trending (and which may or may not convey) and then make a series of small or big moves at the deadline. This fits the statement.
    4. This doesn't fit the statement, but it could also just be smoke, as is apt to happen in the NBA.

This is truly one of those wait and see situations that no one should freak out too much about. However, my previous statements about PAFTO's lack of performance and accountability still stand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are going to get better as their younger players develop. …

Better than what? Better than the Pistons, is not going to cut it.

The goal is, better than the Nuggets, and better than the Celtics, and the current Spurs roster will never develop that much. The players don’t have enough talent, except Wemby.

It’s odd to overlook how pathetic it is to be talking about using the main Spurs roster for development of players. That’s exactly why the G League team in Austin exists, to develop players and get them ready for the NBA (if they have the talent.)

Using the main roster to try to develop players, so they’re ready for the NBA? It’s a sad situation.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You nailed it with this post. No other coach or front office in any sport would be given this degree of freedom to be bad for so long. Even the most direct contemporary to Pop, Bill Belichick, wasn't given this degree of la ude.

Ever since Pop took the mic to ask fans to stop booing an opposing player shooting FTs and I awoke from my sniffer fever dream, I've been asking the same question: What has PAFTO done in the post-Kawhi era to give anyone confidence that they are the right people to lead this rebuilding effort? Their history of team building 25 years ago is great lore, but it's no longer relevant. The banners hanging from the rafters are something we can be proud of - but they mean jack in terms of what happens from here. "Past performance does not guarantee future results", as mandated by the SEC to be disclosed on mutual funds applies here.

This FO has zero accountability. Ownership gives them carte blanche to do what they want, Spurs media asks zero questions, and fans slurp it up like its a Whataburger milkshake.
    Spurs are probably the biggest overachiever in sports, considering how NBA works and how hard it is to stay compe ive, even without the small market factor that makes things even more difficult.
    Throughout the history of sports, we've seen a lot of owners/executives/coaches ruin those same teams they took to the top.
    Everyone has an expiry date, it's just not possible to stay on top forever without adapting to modern times and adding fresh blood.
    You could say that Wright is fairly new, but as long as Pop and RC are here, does anyone really believe he's got the final say?

With that being said, Windhorst is just generating views with his ambiguous takes, I don't really care what he has to say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m so ing stupid. I can't even talk sports without injecting my political nonsense. I’m a loser who can't die fast enough. I’ve got a real ing problem when I can't function without political spin.

I’m this banana. I’m so yellow. I’m so woke.

I’m ing pathetic.

Easy, Karen. Don’t go shooting at any school buses, ok? Maybe talk to a doctor about a prescription that might help you.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No big moves isn’t unreasonable. However, bringing on two additional rookies to this already unsavory mix of young players would a big step backwards. They need to either identify the young guys that are potential future pieces this offseason, jettison the rest, and bring in some competent veteran role players, or trade away those ‘24 picks for future assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No big moves isn’t unreasonable. However, bringing on two additional rookies to this already unsavory mix of young players would a big step backwards. They need to either identify the young guys that are potential future pieces this offseason, jettison the rest, and bring in some competent veteran role players, or trade away those ‘24 picks for future assets.
    There are literally 5 guys who can be jettisoned that aren’t our draft picks: Barlow,Bassey,Graham,Mamu,and Cedi. Get rid of them, draft two FRPs, and sign or trade for 3 better vets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not getting a star doesn’t mean “the same team”. They could very well do what Houston did, signing a couple of selected vets, and improving by 17 games.
    ST reading comprehension consists of leaving out important details so as to reach a desired conclusion. like when did 'not signing a star' equate to not making any changes? and who does windhorst consider to be a 'star' anyway? what Bruno posted in the draft thread is spot on: wait and see what they actually do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait a minute, Carlos Boozers son is a twin?

Isn't one of the twins supposed to be can't miss? I know we are talking 2026 draft..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there an absolute can't miss pick in the 2025 draft?

Regardless of which team get him. More then 1?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's draft Sarr in this draft and get Flagg in 2025.

Triple Tower!
    Flagg is maybe even worthy enough to tank again to have a shot at. Perfect compliment to Wembanyama for a decade of le chasing.
    He'll turn 19 his rookie year - nearly 3 years younger than Victor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there an absolute can't miss pick in the 2025 draft?

Regardless of which team get him. More then 1?
    Flagg seems to be the clear #1 and very much a tank-worthy player

Ace Bailey is another one who seems to be talked about as a true #1 overall type talent

dont know much else beyond that. people like dink pate (the guy who is trying to get eligibility to be drafted this year but probably wont happen)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You people are so ing stupid. Can't even talk sports without injecting your political nonsense. You losers can't die off fast enough. You got a real ing problem when you can't function without political spin.

This banana. So yellow. So woke.

ing pathetic.
    Yeah it's interesting people trying to disparage people by calling them WOKE, as if it's worse than be willfully ignorant.

I’M A DAMN SPUR!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could focus on 2025 draft mean 3D chess pick-bundling for a good pick and not necessarily tanking? I don’t know anything about the ‘25 class.

Spurs fan at Princeton Ginobili2Duncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good video on the topic

There are other examples of teams rushing a rebuild only to end up trapped in mediocrity yet there’s a bunch of people acting like emotional bussies cause the Spurs won’t do the same thing. I think there’s some people on here that still suffer from Kawhi PTSD. It’s got to the point now where some people on here are paranoid that an international player going into his second year is going to want out because his isn’t rushing to be a play in team. It’s best to see how their plan actually unfolds before we have a meltdown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think they need to make "big moves" this summer but they have to get better tbh.

Staying pat + adding a top 10 pick isn't good enough IMO.

Graham's partially guaranteed contract is useful. They have a ton of cap space AGAIN. They have a plethora of 1st/2nd round picks that could be enticing for a team not looking to contend anytime soon.

They don't have to make a Trae Young type move but the move better not be "bring back the same 20 win squad + rookie." That'd be bull

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not getting a star doesn’t mean “the same team”. They could very well do what Houston did, signing a couple of selected vets, and improving by 17 games.
    Houston bringing in a competent coach in Ime has as much to do with that win improvement as FVV and Brooks (who was for most of the year). I don't think the Spurs are going to be able to make the massive coaching upgrade that Houston did unfortunately

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No big moves isn’t unreasonable. However, bringing on two additional rookies to this already unsavory mix of young players would a big step backwards.
    Absolutely.
    Any draft pic MUST be NBA worthy, developing yet contributing starter immediately or at the latest by his 3rd year. That is minimum requirement. No exceptions.
    Not sure if Indiana sniffed out Haliburton or just got lucky.

No more Popped / Brian Wrong failed experiments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Flagg seems to be the clear #1 and very much a tank-worthy player

Ace Bailey is another one who seems to be talked about as a true #1 overall type talent

dont know much else beyond that. people like dink pate (the guy who is trying to get eligibility to be drafted this year but probably wont happen)
    That's so damn risky tho.
    Could you imagine another Popped year of 20-62 only to have the Lotto balls fail us and land at 5 or 6? Would be disastrous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the off-season plan is 'draft and grow' again, PATFO have utterly failed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think they need to make "big moves" this summer but they have to get better tbh.

Staying pat + adding a top 10 pick isn't good enough IMO.

Graham's partially guaranteed contract is useful. They have a ton of cap space AGAIN. They have a plethora of 1st/2nd round picks that could be enticing for a team not looking to contend anytime soon.

They don't have to make a Trae Young type move but the move better not be "bring back the same 20 win squad + rookie." That'd be bull
    I agree with everything you said except the bolded, which I'm not sure is true.

I *think* Graham's partially guaranteed contract is useful only insofar we can release him and recapture about $9.7MM of cap space. I am pretty sure that if we wanted to trade him to another team so that they could save the cap space by releasing him, that would have had to have been done by this past trade deadline. I'd love for someone to check me on this, but I don't believe Graham's contract has value in this way anymore.

Second, I wouldn't say the Spurs have a ton of cap space. I believe the Spurs max cap space (meaning they release Graham and renounce all their FAs) would be just a hair under $30MM. If the released Bassey and Champagnie, then they can add another $4-5MM. So it's a decent amount of space, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a " ton". (Definitely more than the Spurs ever typically use though!)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the best way for the spurs to "focus" on the 2025 draft is to maximize the value of the ATL pick. either trade for one of their guards, or be the third team facilitating such trade. make it in a way so the only good thing the hawks get back are future picks that dont help them at all for the 24-25 season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could focus on 2025 draft mean 3D chess pick-bundling for a good pick and not necessarily tanking? I don’t know anything about the ‘25 class.
    Could we get a history of this?
    I just don't recall any modern era and more pointedly recent era (2010 - onward) teams trading away 123 for later multiple picks.
    For an absolute find (Flagg?), don't see any current NBA team trading down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with everything you said except the bolded, which I'm not sure is true.

I *think* Graham's partially guaranteed contract is useful only insofar we can release him and recapture about $9.7MM of cap space. I am pretty sure that if we wanted to trade him to another team so that they could save the cap space by releasing him, that would have had to have been done by this past trade deadline. I'd love for someone to check me on this, but I don't believe Graham's contract has value in this way anymore.

Second, I wouldn't say the Spurs have a ton of cap space. I believe the Spurs max cap space (meaning they release Graham and renounce all their FAs) would be just a hair under $30MM. If the released Bassey and Champagnie, then they can add another $4-5MM. So it's a decent amount of space, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a " ton". (Definitely more than the Spurs ever typically use though!)
    Not 100% sure either but I thought Graham's '25 contract wasn't guaranteed until free agency starts but I could be wrong.

Fair enough, but I meant " ton" as in more than enough to get an impactful, role player heading into next season. Anybody above the 25-30mil/year range and I'd classify that as a "big move"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not 100% sure either but I thought Graham's '25 contract wasn't guaranteed until free agency starts but I could be wrong.

Fair enough, but I meant " ton" as in more than enough to get an impactful, role player heading into next season. Anybody above the 25-30mil/year range and I'd classify that as a "big move"
    Yeah, I'm not 100% sure on the Graham thing either but someone previously posted this and I remember them pointing specifically to some kind of language. Would love for that person to clarify if they are reading.

Yeah, definitely agree that $25-30MM would be more than enough for a big move terms of what the Spurs normally do.

Thread Information