Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was not only the spurs soft tanking but also wemby was not that good at that time
    Wemby was promising and fun to watch. But the truth was he was hurting the team with the low efficiency and turnover during the 17 games.

But who care of these 17 games if it helped wemby getting better?
    This. And also pop restricting wemby's minutes. Hopefully next season wemby learns how to reduce turnovers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're so ing re ed Stop posting. Celebrating for having a top ten pick in a weak draft and saying that was the plan all along. Jesus Christ
    Way to much anger.. bro you do realize there’s not requirement to agree lol We can have different beliefs without you having a period! Clown ass dude

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's obvious they were trying to figure out various things:

1) Figure out Wemby
    2) Figure out the lineups
    3) Figure out what kind of players they have and how Wemby plays with them
    4) Development
    5) Experiment

Whether or not that equated to wins isn't the point. It was more of a evaluation year. To say they were tanking is pretty stupid honestly. It was a "whatever happens happens" kind of year.
    Captain Obvious reporting for duty…..go paint yo face!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Way to much anger.. bro you do realize there’s not requirement to agree lol We can have different beliefs without you having a period! Clown ass dude
    Except your ty opinions are always wrong boy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Captain Obvious reporting for duty…..go paint yo face!
    so they weren't tanking then dumb

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds fairly far fetched when you reframe it that way.
    Did i misrep his post?
    Here's a side by side of the two:

Probably Topic, but the fact that they finished strong means there are probably 4-5 players that meet their needs. They also wanted to block Toronto from the bottom 4 to have a decent chance at the pick.
    So to you PATFO had the Spurs tanking the 1st 71 games, but then seeing that Topic or 4-5 other Player Xs could be had with a pick beyond say 8th....went ahead and started to try to win thus went 6-4 in the last 10 games?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you go into a season to “see what we have” you’re clearly not making winning the top priority.
    I don’t think we were actively tanking either. We were much more concerned with other things than winning or tanking: Such as seeing what position Wemby should be in and whether Sochan is a PG and how much guys like Vassel and Keldon had developed.
    Playing two guys out of position absolutely cratered the start of the season and perhaps stunted the development of some guys but it helped show Wemby we’ll try things his way before making corrections. Playing a deep rotation despite having questionable talent was also about seeing what we have instead of focusing on wins. Wembys minutes restrictions were also not about winning now. I also think we weren’t actively tanking. The Spurs are ok dropping a few slots in a ty draft if that helps Wemby”learn to win” and other goals that are more focused on developing the current roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's just choose to believe this team was hard tanking because i'd hate to believe that the Spurs FO would aim for a pathetic 30 wins and the #10 pick or something stupid like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Brett Brown (L) listening to Pop having an epiphany that perhaps the Sochan pg is not working.
    Best take.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except your ty opinions are always wrong boy
    Are they? Cool Now what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The end justifies the mean; don’t care how we reached the desired result as long as we made it! We should at least have 1 top 10 pick = success for this season. Trust me, the rest of the league would love to have our problems!!
    Lol Atl smoking crack like usual

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Atl smoking crack like usual
    True story….. a pretty profound take as usual!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They wanted to win games but saw the writing on the wall when the roster was not good enough or needed more development. I do think this team needs veterans like people have said. It's funny how the trolls downstairs hate on Vic, they are desperate to find reasons to hate him. This will be his league soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t think this is a very difficult question - no, they were not tanking, but they were also not prioritising winning games above all else, thus the crazy experiments. Most of them failed and they found themselves in a losing position record-wise but they never tanked in the sense of losing games on purpose.

The important thing from this season is the knowledge they have acquired - what’s Wemby’s best position, what team construction fits him the best, how they can improve. If they’ve got some answers then it’s been a useful season and who cares if they won 20 or 35 games.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So they tried to tank at the end when they sat Jeremy, Devin, and Keldon. But hilarious that they ended up on their best streak of the season. Could be a fluke. I'm leaning towards low bbiq being a problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe most of the team just sucks, but by the end of the year Wemby had developed to the point where he could overcome that. Also, maybe the young guys the team is trying to develop suck so bad that the journeymen who played in their stead at the end are simply better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, it was obvious all year that Devonte’ Graham was a better option at point guard than Jeremy freakin’ Sochan or Malaki Branham. But you know what you have in Graham; he already has developed into all he is ever going to be. They wanted to see what they had in those other guys. Hopefully now they know — Sochan has no business as a playmaker, and Branham doesn’t belong in the league.

Wesley so does not belong in the league that he couldn’t get much playing time even under a paradigm of trying to develop young players.

Playing those guys is not the same thing as tanking. It’s bleak that they took three swings in the 2022 draft and got at best one role player, but it’s not tanking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you go into a season to “see what we have” you’re clearly not making winning the top priority.
    I suppose you do in a way when Pop said in media day that 'this year the emphasis will be put on winning cos winning is good for improvement and confidence. They didn't win more with wemby in. That they reconsider this during the season if possible but more out necessity than will. The plan wasn't to tqnk. They tried to win all year long but just realized they overrestimated the rosters and themselves the best example being Sochan at the point. They really thought that could work

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year was a bigger tank job... Even tho I expected at least 5-10 more wins this year, its not really a big deal, as the roster just sucks. Most of these players need to go asap, while we also need to bring another star player in. Good luck to the FO this offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other thing that was not tanking, but rather was just sucking, is that Vassell, who on this talent-depleted roster was the second-best player, never seemed to develop much chemistry with Wemby. Sochan didn’t either. And that’s two of the three guys that comprise what passes for the current “core” around Wemby, the other being Tre Jones, who in another life would be just another journeyman.

All this means PATFO misappraised their talent level and misjudged their roster construction, but that’s not tanking.

But, if they’d gotten those things right, what difference would it have made. The Spurs would have gone what, 30-52?

The main thing that feels bleak to me is that recent past performance might portend future results. That would mean PATFO continues to fail at non-obvious draft picks, otherwise sits on their hands, and never builds a decent team around Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry but Graham is a chucker with no defense trying to play hero ball evrytime he can. He'll never be anything than a 3rd stringer/spot up shooter in the NBA. You guys gotta stop overreacting over a couple decent games from bench guys.. It's always the guys who don't play who should play over the ones who do... Graham almost cost 2 games with ill advsed hero shots these last couple weeks. And his game winner (where he was cherry picking on an important defense play) changes nothing to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry but Graham is a chucker with no defense trying to play hero ball evrytime he can. He'll never be anything than a 3rd stringer/spot up shooter in the NBA. You guys gotta stop overreacting over a couple decent games from bench guys.. It's always the guys who don't play who should play over the ones who do... Graham almost cost 2 games with ill advsed hero shots these last couple weeks. And his game winner (where he was cherry picking on an important defense play) changes nothing to that.
    Both things can be true. Graham can be a chucker who plays little defense, and yet still be a better playmaker than Jeremy Sochan and a much better player overall than Malaki Branham. And yet it makes more sense to play those guys, see what they can do, and hope they find a spark, because Graham will never become more than he already is, while there was at least a sliver of hope those other guys might.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes they tried to tank but Wemby made it hard to tank down the end of the season.

Hard to tank against other tanking teams with Wemby playing and other teams took the Spurs lightly down the stretch and the spurs came away with a couple of close wins against playoff teams.

Spurs were even surprised at some of the wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were tanking, both to get the player that they want (possibly Topic), and block TOR from getting higher pick and possibly getting a 2nd lottery pick, but keeping Wemby a chance to ROTY and possibly DPOY, on top of slowly getting Wemby accustomed to playing NBA without risking injury, continue the development of young players with real NBA games.

The end justifies the means, however you want to put it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were tanking, both to get the player that they want (possibly Topic), and block TOR from getting higher pick and possibly getting a 2nd lottery pick, but keeping Wemby a chance to ROTY and possibly DPOY, on top of slowly getting Wemby accustomed to playing NBA without risking injury, continue the development of young players with real NBA games.

The end justifies the means, however you want to put it.
    imagine tanking for Topic

It's ok to say they weren't tanking. We know how you worship at the altar of PATFO.

Thread Information