Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lot of good teams to leapfrog to make the playoffs next season. It will not be easy. The west is stacked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDGAF what Pop said. I based my conjecture on the fact that the Spurs drafted Wemby, rented their cap space, and did nothing else. Actions speak louder than words.
    Nope this revisionist bull .

If THIS was what you based your opinion off of, you would have had that opinion prior to the start of the Spurs season. You did not. You based your opinion on coping with the Spurs record and went against your previous idea of what was going to happen and all of a sudden the previous evidence was used for justification despite you ignoring it. Now, instead you ignore the contacts the Spurs gave out during the summer which are not moves tanking teams do.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was he going to say he wants to miss the playoffs next year?

“i want to get better but not good enough for the playoffs”

vassell said he didn’t want to hear about tanking for wemby because they gonna be hoopin this year
    Players don’t tank. Front offices do. Vassell had no say in the matter. He could hoop till the second coming of [insert your choice of deity] they weren’t winning anything with that roster. Keeping it together for another year - even with Wemby - yielded the same results.

For some inexplicable reason the front office thought this was going to be a compe ive team.

You better believe Wemby when he says he wants to make the playoffs. Spurs have to at least challenge for a play-in spot. Cannot get away with another 20 win season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If KL didn't bounce, would y'all still be worried of not making a big splash this offseason?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't spin this . If it was fantasy or pure hypothetical space-filler, Wemby would have said "i want to win the championship next year." That's not realistic. Therefore, his want clearly implies something he considers realistic - the playoffs (or perhaps, play-in since we don't have an exact quote). There's no twisting this. It's playoffs or bust now. Wemby is very smart phrasing it like this, as well. It also implies that the Spurs aren't required to change their gameplan - he's simply stating his wants. The Spurs org is who will need to bend if those wants aren't being fulfilled (assuming the obvious - that keeping Wemby around until the wheels fall off is the only thing that truly matters, whatever it may entail).

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope this revisionist bull .

If THIS was what you based your opinion off of, you would have had that opinion prior to the start of the Spurs season. You did not. You based your opinion on coping with the Spurs record and went against your previous idea of what was going to happen and all of a sudden the previous evidence was used for justification despite you ignoring it. Now, instead you ignore the contacts the Spurs gave out during the summer which are not moves tanking teams do.
    I guess. It looked to me like they wanted to pay people they thought would fit long term but it's not like they actually spent much compared to what was available to spend and for what it could be spent. Vegas projected them to have what would end up being the 7th worst record and they end up with 5th worst. It certainly wasn't a win now year. Maybe it started out as a simply low expectation year looking for a crappy-yet-still lottery pick then the opportunity to halfway block Toronto presented itself and happened to get the Spurs into the double-digit tier of odds for another #1 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If KL didn't bounce, would y'all still be worried of not making a big splash this offseason?
    if that never happened, we wouldn’t have Wemby, and I’d be more worried.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players don’t tank. Front offices do. Vassell had no say in the matter. He could hoop till the second coming of [insert your choice of deity] they weren’t winning anything with that roster. Keeping it together for another year - even with Wemby - yielded the same results.

For some inexplicable reason the front office thought this was going to be a compe ive team.

You better believe Wemby when he says he wants to make the playoffs. Spurs have to at least challenge for a play-in spot. Cannot get away with another 20 win season.
    The fact that Pop did not play Tre at starting PG the 30+ games cost this team IMO at least 8 wins. The focus wasn't necessarily tanking but development. Having 3 2nd year guys play major roles reduced the teams win total this season, but should add to it next season. It's hard to argue that a PG rotation of Tre/Graham/Wesley brings you a much better result this year. With Wemby's development curve this team makes the play-in next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either Wemby is truly a Forest Gump-like character (spoiler alert: he's not), or he's sending some subtle messages today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course he does. This isn't news. Dude's compe ive. He didn't want to miss them this year. These comments might only feel like news once put into a greater narrative about this season where Wemby was frustrated with his teammates and coaches. His comments and actions literally read as the opposite -- that he's happy with the direction of the team -- but that direct reading has to be ignored for the "message".

And no, it doesn't mean he wants the Spurs to do nothing. I imagine any move he thinks helps the team win would be welcome. I just wouldn't be surprised if he took the last 20 games or so as evidence to believe in his teammates and didn't see the need to dismiss their performances with or without him.
    Last edited by Chinook; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:13 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure Pop loves when he hears stuff like this. Doesn't Wemby know that winning isn't part of the timeline. Getting good players is hard

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive been saying this all year in every thread,,,,and some spurs fans want to hide their heads in the sand. If Wemby doesnt make the playoffs next year, he'll just float through the last two years of his rookie contract and leave,,,,,maybe now the Spurs organization will realize the gravity of the situation,,,,quit sitting on your in' hands and build something around this kid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't tell me that if Spurs have another losing season that the relationship between Wemby and the FO won't start souring.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop executed another glorious stealth tank. let's see what the ping-pong ball gods (praise them!) give us

next year it's, y'all ready for this

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive been saying this all year in every thread,,,,and some spurs fans want to hide their heads in the sand. If Wemby doesnt make the playoffs next year, he'll just float through the last two years of his rookie contract and leave,,,,,maybe now the Spurs organization will realize the gravity of the situation,,,,quit sitting on your in' hands and build something around this kid.
    That will not happen, Victor admires Pop and that would the equivalent of quitting

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't tell me that if Spurs have another losing season that the relationship between Wemby and the FO won't start souring.
    If that worst case scenario happens, the only realistic option would be learn from it and to fix it the following summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just draft topic or dillingham another sf if we get the toronto pick and were good for next year to make ghe pla in and playoffs.
    Only a few rookies are net positives. If you expect two rookies to be in the rotation, we'll be kinda where we are now.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expecting a 19 game improvement might be a little unrealistic.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expecting a 19 game improvement might be a little unrealistic.
    it's what the Rockets did this year and what Hawks, Cavs, Knicks, Wolves did in the recent past. don't want to say it's a given thing, but I think it's a not entirely unlikely scenario.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get that the west is stacked and we need to win a lot more games next year, but if we got some players that could wipe their own ass around Wemby i think he can vault them into the play in. The moves we make this summer will determine what our seed is next season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has nothing to do with Kawhi. You need at least two star players to be compe ive for a le. Spurs have one, so they have to do something to get another one. Also, when you look at the good teams in the nba, they all have role players who do similar things, so these players are in short supply. I'ts not like the spurs can build some compe ive team without filling their roster with the types of players that make up compe ive teams. So they need to be looking to make a "big splash" on that front as well. It's only so many Bruce Browns, Aaron Gordon's, KCP's to go around.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has nothing to do with Kawhi. You need at least two star players to be compe ive for a le.
    You kind of don't.
    While Murray is a great playoff performer, he never even made an all-star team.
    Middleton wasn't a superstar, either.
    You could argue that Curry was the only star for the last Warriors ring. Noone else was averaging 20ppg in the playoffs.
    Raptors also didn't have a legit second star.
    I'd say that the league has taken another evolution where it's better to have one superstar and three borderline all-stars who can step up in the right system than to have the usual two star roster with average role players around them.

Wemby's potential is ridiculous, I think it's a given he'll be the best player in the league within three years.
    We will just need perimeter players good enough to capitalize on ridiculous gravity he'll have.
    Obviously it would be amazing if we could draft another star next to him, but it's not mandatory. Especially not if it means giving up all the assets just for that one player.

Anyhow, as far as making the playoffs goes, even though the West is really strong now, most teams have an uncertain future and some are close to their expiry date.
    Denver and OKC will be there for years to come. I'd add Memphis, especially if they draft well.
    Minnesota is already in cap and Gobert will be up for an extension in 2025. Edwards is the player to build around, but everything else is up in the air.
    Dallas will be relevant as long as Luka is there. But they already burned through all their assets and Kyrie just turned 32, believe it or not. Will be really hard to improve that roster.
    NOLA should be good, but their roster is imbalanced and they're kind of a joke franchise that always s it up.
    Sacramento reached their ceiling already with their no defense roster, but they'll stay a treadmill early playoff exit team.
    Houston is improving, ahead of the Spurs right now, but they don't have their franchise player.

Then we have four teams that are up against father time and I can't see them staying relevant with the same core past the next season.
    Clippers will surely have one last push in the new arena, but they're done after that.
    Phoenix will also be done pretty soon, KD is turning 36.
    Lakers duo is a 39 year old and a 31 year old that can't stay healthy. Them making it past 2024/25 season would be a miracle.
    Warriors already look done. It wouldn't surprise me if they blow it up after they lose in the play-in.

At the bottom we have two teams that are just starting to tank. Utah will surely blow it up and Blazers have nothing.

Getting to the playoffs in the next season will be really difficult, but play-in is achievable.
    If Wemby continues his growth, Spurs not being a playoff team from 2025/26 season onwards would mean that Brian Wright and his minions are even more incompetent than we thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was he going to say he wants to miss the playoffs next year?

“i want to get better but not good enough for the playoffs”

vassell said he didn’t want to hear about tanking for wemby because they gonna be hoopin this year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no players in this draft who will make this team a play in / play-off team by themselves or improve it their rookie year. Specially if Memphis gets Morant back. HOUSTON should get better too.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 11:30 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no players in this draft who will make this team a better a play in / play-off team or improve it their rookie year. Specially if Memphis gets Morant back. HOUSTON should get better too.
    i think Knecht would probably help now, though not sure by how much. sheppard potentially as well
    Last edited by spurraider21; 1 Week Ago at 11:35 AM.

Thread Information