Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was a lot to read through, only to learn that there are 2-3 FA forwards at best that are maybe worth looking into.

I'd rather take a Willaims or Buzelis in this draft. If needed, more of a true PF next draft. Also I think we should mention Barlow in this discussion, since he is only 20 and has pretty strong SF/PF potential, similar to Buzelis.

Based off your list, I think you are mainly just looking at SFs, while we need to be looking at PFs also at some point.
    I was looking at all the forwards.
    Harris, Toppin, SlowMo, Batum are all PFs.

Anyhow, we can agree that there's not many players to choose from. Unless PATFO is high on Williams, we won't find a good free agent forward this summer.
    Monk is easily the best free agent this summer and getting him if we draft Castle and a forward makes sense.

Tre, Devin, Castle, Monk for guard positions, with Castle and Devin being able to slide to SF in some lineups.

Jeremy, Keldon, rookie and Champagnie at forward positions. Maybe trade Keldon and get one of the forwards from the list.
    Looking at everyone who could be available, my flavor of the week idea is to try and get MPJ if Denver decides he's expendable.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah to the above responses I’m referring to our own picks and ATLs pick (not including those protected picks or even the swaps)

We can absolutely trade ATLs picks for a star player without trading our own or vice versa. The problem being is the correct Star player being traded for I guess.
    Again, we won't get any star player for those picks, until the draft lottery order and player pool is known. So if we had #1 pick in 2025, Cooper Flagg, we could probably get something quite good for him. But, that would not be smart.

The highly speculative nature of the future picks makes them inherently more valuable to the existing owner, than a potential acquirer. Trading actual players for players probably gets the most comparable value. Throwing in a FRP somewhere probably makes sense, to equalize a trade of veteran players. I think we have to wait until after the finals, there are designated timetables for all this activity also.

Now the exception here is a team doing a rebuild, they are more likely to be willing to take on some speculative risk. Even the Spurs did a little of that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was looking at all the forwards.
    Harris, Toppin, SlowMo, Batum are all PFs.

Anyhow, we can agree that there's not many players to choose from. Unless PATFO is high on Williams, we won't find a good free agent forward this summer.
    Monk is easily the best free agent this summer and getting him if we draft Castle and a forward makes sense.

Tre, Devin, Castle, Monk for guard positions, with Castle and Devin being able to slide to SF in some lineups.

Jeremy, Keldon, rookie and Champagnie at forward positions. Maybe trade Keldon and get one of the forwards from the list.
    Looking at everyone who could be available, my flavor of the week idea is to try and get MPJ if Denver decides he's expendable.
    That's slim pickings! So those I bolded, I still think we are talking about SF/PFs. I was also suggesting we need PF/Cs going forward also. Wemby needs rebounding help, we got out rebounded much too often. A second rim protector would also be nice, as opposed to watching Collins stand with his hands straight up getting run over and called for fouls or ran around for baskets.

Edit: Yes in the draft Castle or a bigger wing are also good SF options. The more we look at the FA player pools and pricing, the better the draft always looks to me.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's slim pickings! So those I bolded, I still think we are talking about SF/PFs. I was also suggesting we need PF/Cs going forward also. Wemby needs rebounding help, we got out rebounded much too often. A second rim protector would also be nice, as opposed to watching Collins stand with his hands straight up getting run over and called for fouls or ran around for baskets.
    That's why I mentioned Achiuwa. His defense was great in the playoffs and he can be the backup big in most matchups.
    Him or Jeremy next to Wemby wouldn't make a difference in terms of spacing.

Nuggets are over second apron and MPJ trade is the only logical thing to do.
    They could get two or three good rotation players for him.

Yeah, he's overpaid a bit and offers no playmaking, but would fill two of our biggest needs. Shooting and rebounding.
    And his contract ends when Wemby's extension kicks in.
    Having MPJ would mean Jeremy can be the other forward.

I think most of our fanbase needs to come to terms that we're not getting a player who's on a great deal, has no fundamental flaws, fits the timeline and doesn't cost too much.
    My current goal would be getting Wemby some help without paying too much and getting players that won't ruin our long-term cap situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless PATFO drafts two forwards and keeps Keldon, we're going to need a quality starter at forward position.
    What's everyone's take on the situation?

Free agents:
    Achiuwa - can't shoot, but he's done great in NY and could be Wemby's backup at C. I like lil' Precious as a backup C, but only in that role, and I don't want to invest more into backup C until Collins is moved.
    Crowder - I hope not.
    Okoro - I was high on him, but his shot disappeared in the playoffs. Would be a major upgrade to Champ, but would only want as a 1-2 year stopgap. Maybe could move to backup role longer term if you moved Keldon and got your starting SF through the draft this year or next.
    Toppin - would be a solid bench forward, not good enough to start. I think would actually be an upgrade to Sochan at PF. Mabye you lose a little on individual perimeter D, but Toppin isn't a slouch on D (advanced stats are pretty similar to Sochan's), and he can actually shoot.
    Harris - ugh, no. Wouldn't hate it on a cheap deal, but I think he'll command more.
    Oubre - I wouldn't mind him, he was great in the playoffs. But I don't think Pop would take a player who didn't get over himself. Just seems like a bad fit, personality wise. Might drive Pop into retirement.
    Batum - I guess he could be an option if we need two forwards and Wemby can convince him to play one more season. Would be great but how much is left in the tank?
    Highsmith - could be a solid bench option. Solid defender, but much like Okoro his shot disappeared in the playoffs.
    Patrick Williams - would be a solid choice if the price is right. Didn't develop as expected, but he still hasn't turned 23. If thinking long term, this seems to be the best fit - but I don't think he'll be cheap. Probably looking at 4/100 would be my guess? Not a bad contract, but not insignificant. You probably want to move off Keldon if you go this route, as Keldon minutes will dry up.
    Hayward - washed. Thought would be ideal before he basically did nothing in OKC. Same question as Batum... how much is actually left in the tank? He was doing pretty well in CHA before being injured and then traded.
    SlowMo - can't afford any more non-shooters.
    Jones Jr - would be great if we could take him from Mavs, he's been amazing for them. My guess is that he'll be in high demand for contenders and we won't look all that appealing.
    O'Neale - looks somewhat washed.
    Prince - would be a solid bench option.

I didn't include Demar, Siakam and OG that will most likely stay with their teams.

As far as forwards that could be available for trade go, it's too early to tell.
    Obviously Bridges, Cam Johnson and DFS are available for the right price. But what's the right price according to the Nets?
    There's Markkanen and Ainge's ridiculous asking price that's not worth bothering with.
    I wouldn't mind MPJ if Denver decides they need more depth and he's too expensive.
    We'll see how NOLA situation plays out, Ingram is most likely the one that has to go. Never liked him as a player.
    Kings are looking to move from Barnes, he'd be a solid veteran for us. Idk about their asking price.
    Portland needs to move Grant, but his contract runs all the way up to 2028, not worth it.
    Some others will surely become available.
    Nice list... I put my thoughts in bold for each of the players mentioned!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless PATFO drafts two forwards and keeps Keldon, we're going to need a quality starter at forward position.
    What's everyone's take on the situation?

Free agents:
    Achiuwa - can't shoot, but he's done great in NY and could be Wemby's backup at C.
    Crowder - I hope not.
    Okoro - I was high on him, but his shot disappeared in the playoffs.
    Toppin - would be a solid bench forward, not good enough to start.
    Harris - ugh, no.
    Oubre - I wouldn't mind him, he was great in the playoffs. But I don't think Pop would take a player who didn't get over himself.
    Batum - I guess he could be an option if we need two forwards and Wemby can convince him to play one more season.
    Highsmith - could be a solid bench option. Solid defender, but much like Okoro his shot disappeared in the playoffs.
    Patrick Williams - would be a solid choice if the price is right. Didn't develop as expected, but he still hasn't turned 23.
    Hayward - washed.
    SlowMo - can't afford any more non-shooters.
    Jones Jr - would be great if we could take him from Mavs, he's been amazing for them.
    O'Neale - looks somewhat washed.
    Prince - would be a solid bench option.

I didn't include Demar, Siakam and OG that will most likely stay with their teams.

As far as forwards that could be available for trade go, it's too early to tell.
    Obviously Bridges, Cam Johnson and DFS are available for the right price. But what's the right price according to the Nets?
    There's Markkanen and Ainge's ridiculous asking price that's not worth bothering with.
    I wouldn't mind MPJ if Denver decides they need more depth and he's too expensive.
    We'll see how NOLA situation plays out, Ingram is most likely the one that has to go. Never liked him as a player.
    Kings are looking to move from Barnes, he'd be a solid veteran for us. Idk about their asking price.
    Portland needs to move Grant, but his contract runs all the way up to 2028, not worth it.
    Some others will surely become available.
    Nice list... I put my thoughts in bold for each of the players mentioned!
    Nice information. I think plan forward, or at least for this offseason/2025 year, is to still tinker and develop moreso than add FA talent especially with a possible two 1st rounders, addl 2nd rounders, and last years players returning and trying to sort through minutes.

In saying that, I think these mostly younger FAs wouldn't break the bank and could still be a stopgap or become productive off the bench:

Naji Marshall - Improved his 3pt shooting this year and very capable defender. NO won't be trying to re-sign
    Bruce Brown - Trade target. It's a long shot with his current salary unless someone like Keldon is used to offset, but provides what Spurs would need in 3pt shooting and defense. Also gives a good younger vet presence as well
    Sadiq Bey - Longshot since he's restricted but he plays good D and scores at a good pace when he comes in. Good off the bench.
    Derrick Jones - Longshot especially after this last series. Also think he needs a good pg to really thrive.
    Cedi Osman - Why not? He doesn't mind teaching, coming off the bench, and being a great teammate and blended in well.

Everyone else seems to be older, too pricey, and would take minutes away from whoever the Spurs draft/have drafted and to be properly evaluated. And I just don't see Spurs going after anyone big named unless it's to help w/a salary dump for a short period of time.
    Last edited by montgod; 1 Week Ago at 01:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    philly fans can't wait for harris to get dumped off that roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    philly fans can't wait for harris to get dumped off that roster.
    Man was SpursTalk all in on getting him back in the day.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember lol. He just collecting a check now and where ever he goes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would DJJ be unrealistic? It's not like good teams have cap space.
    OKC and Sixers are the only two playoff teams with cap space.
    OKC doesn't really want to use cap space on more role players, they need a second star.
    Sixers could and should go for him, but Morey is a moron and will throw a max at either Jimmy or PG13.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Need Eric Zhang to weigh in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Account has zero followers, BTW

Troll bots know the way to engagement and money is to start a Spurs rumor account and rile up the base with stupid ideas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And for those looking for a better trade machine:

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Achiuwa - RFA and really an undersized/small ball C, who doesn't possess the skillset they need in one.
    Crowder - Not Spurs material and washed.
    Okoro - RFA, who won't be easy to pry. Undersized and despite improvement from 3, defenses still don't guard him.
    Toppin - RFA, but seemingly could be had as he's blocking Walker. Despite all around improvement, not their preferred big wing skillset at the four.
    Harris - Post prime, will command at least all of their cap space and rumored to return to Pistons, where he has connections.
    Oubre Jr. - Not Spurs material.
    Batum - If he doesn't retire, will likely re-sign with 76ers or sign with some other championship contender.
    Highsmith - If they sign a wing, he's probably on their radar.
    Williams - RFA, who won't be easy to pry. They might express interest, but will probably have sticker shock.
    Hayward - Washed. Could see him signing with Pacers or even retiring.
    Anderson - Non shooter renders him untenable here.
    Jones Jr. - Hard to see the in bent losing him considering how integral he's been and virtually no means with which to replace him.
    O'Neale - See Jones Jr.
    Prince - See Highsmith.
    Marshall - See Highsmith and Prince.
    Brown Jr. - More of a guard and would have to trade for; see Okoro.
    Bey - Out for most/all of next season with torn ACL.
    Osman - Probably a longshot to be re-signed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He would have been a good get. But his agent had Philly over a barrel when they dumped a ton of picks to get him and Jimmy B, and Jimmy walked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wish there was more workout information out, seems like there’s been no noise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um…

Edit: that was a quick delete, Degoat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wish there was more workout information out, seems like there’s been no noise.
    I'm not sure we'll know a single thing until the picks are made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, myself included but no one saw the type of money Philly gave him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shake Milton is going to be a free agent I think. Didn't realize he has been passed around a bit lately. Has always been hidden on the bench but whenever he got a chance to start he almost always produced.

Shake Milton averaged 20.3 points, 7.2 assists and 4.8 rebounds in 11 games as a starter in 2022-23.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And for those looking for a better trade machine:

even if its more flexible with more functionality than the espn one, the UI is just god awful imo

Thread Information