Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more i think of it the less i think the spurs will trade with the hawks, for example you can't reinforce them with two top ten picks for a risacher. I also don't see a deal where we send back those atlanta picks even for a young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's only one net first outgoing plus salary ballast for Trae; ATL 2026 is only a swap. Plus the incoming first is the #1 pick, albeit in a draft without a clear-cut best player.

What are the chances that ATL 2025/2026/2027 net you more than Trae and 2024 #1 overall? I think it's actually rather low. Most years there are 4-5 teams that suck all year and another 3 or so that tank down the stretch. I expect the next two season to have even more teams tanking given the quality at the top of the draft.

If the Hawks have no incentive to tank they should be able to stay out of the bottom 8 teams each year, meaning the Spurs would have at most a 20% chance at a top 4 pick each time. That's about a 50% chance at a top 4 pick once, when the alternative is an All-Star PG and this year's #1 overall.

I'm not saying it's a total no-brainer for the Spurs, though I think the Hawks hang up the phone because getting one net first for Trae is a really bad look.
    That sounds a lot better than it really is, tbh. The all-star PG is, arguably, the most flawed star player in the league. One that I don't ever see becoming part of a championship core. And the #1 pick in this year's draft has a Nic Batum type ceiling.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont really want him period, but I would only do something like:

Spurs Get: Trae + Pick 1

ATL Gets: Collins + Keldon + 3 ATL picks back

Spurs get pick 1 and keep 4 and 8 too.
    Zollins is a bad contract and carries negative value. Keldon's value is pretty close to neutral as a bench chucker with little defense getting 20M per season. So Atlanta getting all their picks back for Trae is pretty fair.

I agree tho on trading the the 4 and 8 for the 1. Overpay in such a flat draft. I'd do the 4 and the Bulls pick to move up to 1 and keep the 8. If DMR bolts Chicago this summer that pick never conveys.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zollins is a bad contract and carries negative value. Keldon's value is pretty close to neutral as a bench chucker with little defense getting 20M per season. So Atlanta getting all their picks back for Trae is pretty fair.

I agree tho on trading the the 4 and 8 for the 1. Overpay in such a flat draft. I'd do the 4 and the Bulls pick to move up to 1 and keep the 8. If DMR bolts Chicago this summer that pick never conveys.
    #1 for #4 and #8 is a non-starter.
    There are only two ways I'd deal with the Hawks if their Clingan interest is actually real.

Either the usual trade, something like #1 for #4, #35 and Charlotte '25.

Or a deal where we get DJ.
    Hawks need to get rid of Capela to get under the cap. Drafting Clingan makes him obslote.
    Spurs can absorb his expiring and he'd be decent enough backup for a year. (We'd get rid of Collins in another trade).

#1, DJ, Capela for #4, #8 Keldon, Tre.

Hawks would improve from #1 to #4 and #8 which are more valuable while getting the player they want.
    They'd also shed around $20M in salary to get under the cap.
    But they'd downgrade DJ for a solid backup PG and a rotation wing.

This trade looks fair if Spurs weren't in ownership of all the Hawks picks.
    Meaning it won't happen because it's too embarrassing for them.
    I'd maybe be willing to include the return of '26 swap instead of #8 this year, but '25 and '27 picks should be off limits unless we're trading for a proven star player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #1 for #4 and #8 is a non-starter.
    There are only two ways I'd deal with the Hawks if their Clingan interest is actually real.

Either the usual trade, something like #1 for #4, #35 and Charlotte '25.

Or a deal where we get DJ.
    Hawks need to get rid of Capela to get under the cap. Drafting Clingan makes him obslote.
    Spurs can absorb his expiring and he'd be decent enough backup for a year. (We'd get rid of Collins in another trade).

#1, DJ, Capela for #4, #8 Keldon, Tre.

Hawks would improve from #1 to #4 and #8 which are more valuable while getting the player they want.
    They'd also shed around $20M in salary to get under the cap.
    But they'd downgrade DJ for a solid backup PG and a rotation wing.

This trade looks fair if Spurs weren't in ownership of all the Hawks picks.
    Meaning it won't happen because it's too embarrassing for them.
    I'd maybe be willing to include the return of '26 swap instead of #8 this year, but '25 and '27 picks should be off limits unless we're trading for a proven star player.
    That's a yuck trade for the Spurs. Capela is bad fit next to Wemby on offense and DJM isnt a true star level player. Hawks could only get 1 unprotected first for him at the deadline according to reports.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a yuck trade for the Spurs. Capela is bad fit next to Wemby on offense and DJM isnt a true star level player. Hawks could only get 1 unprotected first for him at the deadline according to reports.
    My guess is Spurs would use Capela to trade elsewhere…there would likely be a third team in a deal like this where Clint goes somewhere and an asset goes to SA for Capela.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes you think Capela would start?
    He'd be an overpaid backup on an expiring contract. Washed, but still better than Collins.
    Collins we'd get rid of in another deal.

DJ doesn't need to be a true star level player and he's not paid as one.
    His contract is almost the same as Devin's. Perfect for two of them to be the 3rd/4th option while Spurs look for a legit second option.

I can't emphasize enough how valuable DJ's contract is in current market.
    Borderline all-star point guard with size that's about to turn 28 making just $25M? One of the biggest bargains in the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes you think Capela would start?
    He'd be an overpaid backup on an expiring contract. Washed, but still better than Collins.
    Collins we'd get rid of in another deal.

DJ doesn't need to be a true star level player and he's not paid as one.
    His contract is almost the same as Devin's. Perfect for two of them to be the 3rd/4th option while Spurs look for a legit second option.

I can't emphasize enough how valuable DJ's contract is in current market.
    Borderline all-star point guard with size that's about to turn 28 making just $25M? One of the biggest bargains in the league.
    Si

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's only one net first outgoing plus salary ballast for Trae; ATL 2026 is only a swap. Plus the incoming first is the #1 pick, albeit in a draft without a clear-cut best player.

What are the chances that ATL 2025/2026/2027 net you more than Trae and 2024 #1 overall? I think it's actually rather low. Most years there are 4-5 teams that suck all year and another 3 or so that tank down the stretch. I expect the next two season to have even more teams tanking given the quality at the top of the draft.

If the Hawks have no incentive to tank they should be able to stay out of the bottom 8 teams each year, meaning the Spurs would have at most a 20% chance at a top 4 pick each time. That's about a 50% chance at a top 4 pick once, when the alternative is an All-Star PG and this year's #1 overall.

I'm not saying it's a total no-brainer for the Spurs, though I think the Hawks hang up the phone because getting one net first for Trae is a really bad look.
    On the net, my proposal would be two firsts and a swap on the net for Trae. The original proposal is three firsts and a swap net. I like Trae, but I don't think he's worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://dizzledynasty.substack.com/p...tidjane-salaun

Good breakdowns of the French players. Especially why Risacher is a dull pile of meh. No way should he be ranked this high, an accident of fate vastly in his favor. I dread that we'll wind up with him, but whatever. Hope it works out.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the net, my proposal would be two firsts and a swap on the net for Trae. The original proposal is three firsts and a swap net. I like Trae, but I don't think he's worth it.
    Is one of those two firsts the Charlotte 2025 pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is one of those two firsts the Charlotte 2025 pick?
    My suggestions:

Hawks Get:

ATL25
    ATL27
    26 Swap removed
    Some Players

Spurs Get:

Trae

So, Atlanta nets 2 picks, a swap, and whatever players are included

Could switch out 8 for 4, but I wouldn't send both.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My suggestions:

Hawks Get:

ATL25
    ATL27
    26 Swap removed
    Some Players

Spurs Get:

Trae

So, Atlanta nets 2 picks, a swap, and whatever players are included

Could switch out 8 for 4, but I wouldn't send both.
    No be patient

Things are going to work out for the spurs with all those Atlanta picks. They'll get a player better than Young from all those picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No be patient

Things are going to work out for the spurs with all those Atlanta picks. They'll get a player better than Young from all those picks.
    I already said this is not a trade I would do, just what I think fair value is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hawks gobble up that trade like a fat kid eats Twix.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting their own picks back is waaaaaay more valuable to the Hawks than normal FRPs. If they get their bag back then no additional picks:

Hawks get: Atl 25, Atl 27, cancel 26 swap, Char 25, Collins, Tre, filler
    Spurs get: Trae, Atl 24

Atlanta is the desperate team here, not the Spurs. That opens up so much flexibility for them it is unreal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ just no. This is all ATL driven bc they really don’t want to pick 1 in this draft and bc they have a PG problems

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All these sources or "intel" you can find in any shape and form nowadays are baseless, self fed speculations from people repeating, rehashing and mixing what others are repeating, rehashing and mixing frm what they've read or heard around.

And truth to be told, which is a testament to this forum, feels like all these guys (starting by good old Dusty Garza) are reading ST where you can find these trades ideas, projection and reflexion even before it starts to spread all over the Interwebs and media, all the way up to France and the Eric Zhangs of the world.

Be proud, ST people. We are influencers

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting their own picks back is waaaaaay more valuable to the Hawks than normal FRPs. If they get their bag back then no additional picks:

Hawks get: Atl 25, Atl 27, cancel 26 swap, Char 25, Collins, Tre, filler
    Spurs get: Trae, Atl 24

Atlanta is the desperate team here, not the Spurs. That opens up so much flexibility for them it is unreal.
    I am not touching ANY hawks pick we own until they show their hands in term of what direction they’re taking. They could well be rebuilding next year guys. Why the would you give up those picks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading 4 + 8 is just devastating alone. Doing it for Zaccharie Risacher is unfathomable.

Just bring on the draft. I hate the era of irritating, baseless rumors.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not touching ANY hawks pick we own until they show their hands in term of what direction they’re taking. They could well be rebuilding next year guys. Why the would you give up those picks?
    They are not going into a full rebuild with the requisite tank job without their picks. Their picks are incredibly valuable to them right now since the DJM trade did not produce the desired results. The perceived value of those picks right now is way higher than the likely actual value. Just like trading DJM after his all star year got back premium value trading the picks now gets back premium value again. Just look at this forum. You mention Atlanta 25 and everyone gets a woody. That is a sure sign that people are overvaluing the picks. I've made a load of money over the years doing that same thing in the stock and options markets. John Rockefeller once said he got rich by accomodating people. When everyone wants to buy I sell to them. When everyone wants to sell I buy from them. Now is the time to cash in on perceived value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade Atlanta picks because stock market?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, lol Dusty Garza. Haven't heard that pathetic name in a long time.
    If you've been around for awhile, then you may have been one of the many people banned by Garza on his message board for simply voicing an honest dissent. His forum was an early rival to SpursTalk 20 years ago. Not even sure it's still around. Now he's mastered the art of click bait journalism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are not going into a full rebuild with the requisite tank job without their picks. Their picks are incredibly valuable to them right now since the DJM trade did not produce the desired results. The perceived value of those picks right now is way higher than the likely actual value. Just like trading DJM after his all star year got back premium value trading the picks now gets back premium value again. Just look at this forum. You mention Atlanta 25 and everyone gets a woody. That is a sure sign that people are overvaluing the picks. I've made a load of money over the years doing that same thing in the stock and options markets. John Rockefeller once said he got rich by accomodating people. When everyone wants to buy I sell to them. When everyone wants to sell I buy from them. Now is the time to cash in on perceived value.
    Atlanta is drowning. They can’t improve without tearing it down, which means they’ll finish like 8-12. What’s lost in the discussion is that’s still a pretty decent pick each year, even if they don’t jump into the top 4. I’m not completely out on the trade, but I’m skeptical, and I think this year is the wrong time to do it.

There was a buzz around the league and the blogosphere this season after the ASB. In brief, it seemed like they made a correction to officiating to allow more defense. Normally,the league releases guidance on this,but they said nothing, leading many to think it was a trial period, leading to a full rollout next season. The gist of it is, they’re not allowing foul hunting to the degree they have in the past. If that’s the case, Trae becomes much less valuable, because he becomes even less efficient with fewer FTs. That’s why I would wait. If someone like the Lakers jumps in and grabs him, good for us. Those three picks will climb, because the only near term pick the Lakers have is this year, at #17, which won’t help Atlanta. Their other two picks are after our 25-27 ATL pick window.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok bro

Thread Information