Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2Cleva
    Prosecutors will ask for Kobe dismissal — with a catch
    D.A. reportedly wants the right
    to refile charges at a later date
    NBA star Kobe Bryant arrives at Eagle County Justice Center on Monday.
    NBCSports.com news services
    Updated: 4:55 p.m. ET Sept. 1, 2004EAGLE, Colo. -

Prosecutors have agreed to dismiss sexual assault charges against Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant with one big catch — they want the right to retry the case at a later date, NBC News has learned.

The prosecutors will move to dismiss the case "without prejudice", according to the report, which means they can refile the case later. It is not known whether or not the judge is inclined to accept the motion.

Attorneys for Bryant asked the judge to dismiss the case earlier in the day, saying prosecutors have refused to turn over details that could suggest he is innocent.

Court rules require prosecutors and defense attorneys to exchange evidence and witness opinions before trial, a process called discovery.

In a motion made public Wednesday, defense attorneys said a forensics expert whom prosecutors had planned to call as a witness had information that “undermined the accuser’s allegations and the prosecution’s case, and corroborated Mr. Bryant’s defense on a central issue — the cause and significance of the accuser’s alleged injuries.”

The filing said those opinions were not disclosed to the defense until they contacted the expert Friday, despite repeated requests to prosecutors for the information. Prosecutors have said they have turned over all information they were required to.

The judge gave prosecutors until Tuesday — the day opening statements are scheduled to begin — to respond to the defense motion.

“A person’s life and liberty are at stake,” the defense attorneys wrote. “The game of hide-the-ball, find-it-if-you-can discovery is intolerable.”

Defense attorneys asked that the judge either dismiss the case or bar prosecutors from introducing any expert testimony relating to the accuser’s injuries.

The motion does not identify the expert, but prosecutors this spring had said they planned to call former New York City medical examiner Michael Baden to testify about the woman’s injuries.

District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said during a July 19 hearing that he had decided against using Baden. He did not elaborate. Prosecution spokeswoman Krista Flannigan declined to comment, citing a gag order imposed by the judge.

The motion was first reported by ABC News, which cited unidentified sources who said Baden told prosecutors the woman’s injuries could have been caused by consensual sex. A message left for Baden was not immediately returned.

Motions to dismiss on the eve of trial are not uncommon and often are unsuccessful, said Scott Robinson, a defense attorney familiar with the case. He said the judge likely will schedule a hearing quickly because if such motions are granted after a jury is sworn in, charges cannot be refiled.

Bryant, 26, has said he had consensual sex with a then-19-year-old employee of a Vail-area resort where he stayed last summer. If convicted of felony sexual assault, he would face four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine up to $750,000.

Meanwhile, the last round of questioning of individual jury candidates resumed Wednesday. In all, 160 prospective jurors have been questioned through Tuesday with 40 more to go.

Open-court jury selection is expected to begin Thursday, with opening statements scheduled for Tuesday. The jury will include 12 panelists and two alternates.

Link

2Cleva
    Nevermind, no catch.

Charges will be officially dismissed tomorrow.

iminlakerland
    This is getting riduculous. EXTREMELY. If it is found out that the prosecution has witheld this evidence and tried to hide it. Hulbert and his little people need to be disbard.

Solid D
    Sounds like a "clean catch" then.

KoriEllis
    So, is it official that it's being dismissed? Or is this speculation?

Solid D
    The Ticket radio is scooping it also, right now.

2Cleva
    abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/US/kobe_bryant_dismiss_040901-1.html

Motion to Dismiss
    Prosecution, Alleged Victim Agree to Drop Charge Against Kobe Bryant

By Ellen Davis and Bill Redeker

E A G L E, Colo., Sept. 1, 2004 — Prosecutors will file a motion this afternoon to dismiss the sexual assault charge against Kobe Bryant, according to sources familiar with the case.

The motion will say that both the alleged victim and Bryant agree to the request. Prosecutors will ask that it be dismissed with prejudice, meaning that the charge can never be brought again.

The judge must approve the request in order for the case to be dropped..

The agreement came about, in part, because of the alleged victim's reluctance to testify, sources familiar with the case told ABC News

ducks
    how much is kobe paying her?

2Cleva
    ducks - he could have paid her a long time ago but didn't.

Try, the prosecution knew they were going to be embrassed in court, especially with Baden now on the defense's team.

Try the truth - Kobe never raped her in the first place.

bigzak25
    ducks is right...civil trial is next.

Solid D
    It appears that this dismissal is "consensual".

TastesLikeChicken
    Try the truth - Kobe never raped her in the first place.

You were hiding in the closet? Awsome, you're like a ninja.

gospurs21
    ^^^
    MAC loser...I mean loser. Try to convince corp America that MAC is cheaper, so far they havent figured it out yet.

KoriEllis
    Prosecutors will ask that it be dismissed with prejudice, meaning that the charge can never be brought again.
    There's conflicting reports on this, right?

Prosecutors are asking that it be dismissed without prejudice, so that it CAN be re-charged, right?

ducks
    linux is cheaper the windows and mac
    it is free
    panther and x are built on linux
    alot of corp america hd windows 2000
    then bill gates got greedy and wanted corp america to always have to upgrade
    so corp america is going to linux
    there is alot of articles I can dig to prove this but I will not right now
    there is some gov offices that have linux now

ps what has liking a mac have do with being a loser

if I like something and you do not does that mean I am a loser or does that mean you are a loser or does that mean neither one of us are losers because now we have a choise in which os we can use on our computers?

bigzak25
    i think the prosecution should be using imacs.....wait....wtf is this thread about again?:p

ducks
    there is a apple thread in the CLUB:eyebrow

KoriEllis
    Let's get back on topic.

Spurminator
    I pray that justice have been served.

If I had to guess based on what I know, I'd say it has.

2Cleva
    No civil suit agreement reached either.

Link

L. Lin Wood, an attorney handling the woman's federal civil lawsuit against Bryant, said that case was intact.

"There has been no settlement of the civil lawsuit and there have been no discussions concerning a settlement," he said as he stood in the hallway of the Eagle County courthouse. He declined comment when asked about the criminal case.

iminlakerland
    Hurlberts dumb ass will be holding a press conference not sure exactly at what time. Thats what i heard i dont know if thats really true.

2Cleva
    Press conference in 30 minutes.

timvp
    Celebrate, Laker fans, Celebrate.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    How convenient, just long enough for Kobe to miss the Olympics

adidas11
    What ing garbage.

All of this time, and things end like this? What a waste of taxpayer money.

Thread Information