Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chris Duel
    Yesterday we had Mayor Ed Garza, County Judge Nelson Wolff and City Insider T.J. Connolly on the Toyota Land / Bill Miller Family controversy. 2

Today, TRACY BOGERT at 4:20pm will tell us about his BOYCOTT of Bill Miller Restaurants! :argue

Tune-in for the fireworks! :gun

LOCAL ACTIVISTS ORGANIZING BILL MILLER BOYCOTT

With shamelessness that would make Raul Prado and Martin blush the Bill Miller family is attempting to extort money from the City of San Antonio and the citizens of Bexar County over land they own adjacent to Toyota.

The Miller's plan to build 2000 houses on 385 acres of land they own. When Toyota stated their intention to build their facility they had asked the city of San Antonio to basically zone all land around the plant outward of 3 miles as commercial. Toyota needed this guarantee so that they could
    expand their plant to build more vehicles and provide more good jobs for the south side. One scenario has Toyota adding an additional 2000 jobs and a Sequoia truck plant next to the one they are building.

Let us figure this out. The Miller family thinks that building 2000 houses is more important than an additional 2000 jobs at the Toyota site.

Where exactly was the Miller family for the past fifty years when south Bexar County needed development and the tax revenues it would provide. The Miller family suddenly appears to care about development on the south side
    when the family realizes they can make millions riding the coattails of Toyota and the City of San Antonio.

The Miller family has stated that the only acceptable deal they would makeis to be allowed to build 2000 houses on the 385 acres or for the city ofSan Antonio to buy the land from them or pay them not to build houses.

The Miller family attorney Barry McClenahan stated, " I would hate to seethe Miller family vilified by the mayor or anyone else- a family that hasdone so much for San Antonio"

Excuse us but doesn't the Miller family owe the citizens of San Antonio adebt of gra ude for making their family one of the wealthiest in SouthTexas. Mr. McClenahan and the Miller family have some nerve saying that thetaxpayers of San Antonio owe their family. If this were any common family
    they would be charged with blackmail and extortion.

We call on all city and county leaders to follow the lead of Mayor Ed Garzaand stand up to the bullying tactics of the Miller family. It is time to stand up and be counted.

We would also like to call on all residents of San Antonio and Bexar County to join us in a boycott of all Miller family owned businesses including Bill Miller BBQ and Barnacle Bill's restaurants. When the Miller family decides to do the right thing and allow the land to be zoned commercially then the citizens of San Antonio will once again enjoy a meal at their favorite Bill Miller restaurant.

Tracy Bogert / John Lambert
    Lifelong residents of the Southside.

Tommy Duncan
    Wow, that moron is still around.

The Miller's plan to build 2000 houses on 385 acres of land they own.
    That says it all. If the good old boy Democrat has a problem with that he should put together a group to buy the property from the Millers.

And of course it was the Millers who provided South Texans with a place to eat and jobs for some of them for over 50 years.

spurster
    Isn't this just politics as usual? Bill Miller is probably just looking for a big payoff from the city for the land he owns. As far as the houses, Toyota wants no houses within 3 miles of their plant. This sounds a little excessive to me.

Tommy Duncan
    The Miller family has stated that the only acceptable deal they would makeis to be allowed to build 2000 houses on the 385 acres or for the city ofSan Antonio to buy the land from them or pay them not to build houses.
    Well, they do own the property. The above is well within their rights.

Joe Chalupa
    I agree. The Miller's are doing what I would do if I owned that land.

exstatic
    You do realize that said payoff/buyout would come out of taxpayers pockets, MB? No thanks. I have two words for the Millers:

Eminent Domain

Play ball. NO corporate welfare.

Tommy Duncan
    Oh good, so you would have governments at all levels free to take property from citizens without just compensation?

Also, how exactly do you refer to taking property from someone to give Toyota what it wants not "corporate welfare"?

You might want to rethink your argument.

Tommy Duncan
    You did read the following part of the original post, did you not:

When Toyota stated their intention to build their facility they had asked the city of San Antonio to basically zone all land around the plant outward of 3 miles as commercial. Toyota needed this guarantee...
    ?

Sounds like "corporate welfare" to me.

Nbadan
    You can build crappy houses anywhere else on the South side. Toyota needs the land guarantee for future expansions. Great Jobs over crappy homes.

The city needs to sit down with the Millers and come up with a amicable number. Maybe, this is just one way to pressure the Millers.

Tommy Duncan
    That's great, dan. However, this is their property.

I know you like the idea of taking things from people to give to others but let's get some perspective here.

Spurminator
    This is the most preposterous boycott I've ever read about, and my parents subscribed to Focus on the Family.

Joe Chalupa
    Personally I've only eaten at Bill Miller's a few times since I've moved back down here and that was to find out what a po boy was. But I soon found out they were everywhere just like Jim's and Taco Cabana's and McDonald's and HEB's and Diamond Shamrocks and...well never mind.

Nbadan
    I know you like the idea of taking things from people to give to others but let's get some perspective here.
    Taking away? I assume that the Millers will walk away with a very tidy profit in either senario. Nevermind the pro-business stand, right Marcus?

mstexmex
    Rest assured mstexmex is not going to boycott Bill Millers
    I love them and fantasize about their food all the time since we have for bbq places here in Vegas.
    Anyway, It's their land, and the city is going to have to buy them out plain and simple. I don't see what they are requesting to be unreasonable, it's actually the correct procedure.
    too bad I don't own that land!!

When McCarren airport expanded here in Vegas they HAD to buy out a couple of hundred homeowners to give up their property for the sake of expansion.

SpursWoman
    too bad I don't own that land!!

No kidding...that was my very first thought.

Dan, they aren't doing anything differently than anyone else who has the money to invest in real estate would do. By investing in real estate...that's what you dream of happening, and they are taking advantage of it.

Nbadan
    Dan, they aren't doing anything differently than anyone else who has the money to invest in real estate would do. By investing in real estate...that's what you dream of happening, and they are taking advantage of it.
    Maximizing profits on a 'speculative' land deal is one thing. As I mentioned, I'm sure the Millers will walk away with a tidy profit in either scenario, but I think the Toyota plant will revitalize the south-side (its already happening), a long economically-neglected area. Something that other cities spend 100's of millions of dollars to try and accomplish.

The Millers must decide between what is best for them and what is best for all the citizens of the City of San Antonio and the surrounding economic area.

Tommy Duncan
    Here's a clue...I don't think the government should be "Pro-business" or 'Anti-business.'

MannyIsGod
    Something that other cities spend 100's of millions of dollars to try and accomplish.
    Then maybe the city can start by paying the Millers proper value for the land.

Eminent Domain my ass. Another infringement on rights, property rights.

Toyota will employee people, but so will land development. You people act as though the Millers are going to wave a magic wand and all of a sudden those homes will appear.

It's funny to hear somebody say no to corporate welfare in an attempt to make special accomidations for a corporation.

No, I take it back, it's not funny. It's ing STUPID.

Nbadan
    Toyota will employ people, but so will land development. You people act as though the Millers are going to wave a magic wand and all of a sudden those homes will appear.

It's funny to hear somebody say no to corporate welfare in an attempt to make special accommodations for a corporation.
    Land development would only employ people for a little while, while Toyota could employ people for decades. Apples and Oranges.

I think the controversy here is trying to come up with a number that is acceptable to the city and the Millers. After all, the city and our elected Mayor, guaranteed Toyota that they would get this done.

Joe Chalupa
    It was a wise investment 50 years ago and it's finally paying off.

MannyIsGod
    Yes, and a boycott on a company that has employeed thousands FOR decades is smart is it not?

Nbadan
    Here's a clue...I don't think the government should be "Pro-business" or 'Anti-business.'
    Then you are politically naive.

Tommy Duncan
    I think it's bull that anytime there is a major project in San Antonio some groups like to show up with their hands out expecting a cut of things or perhaps expecting to dictate the terms of the deal.

You are not en led to anything with respect to someone else's property in this situation. It is not yours.

You know, this is the same type of mentality which reared its ugly head when Kelly was on the Base Closure Commission's list.

Nbadan
    Yes, and a boycott on a company that has employeed thousands FOR decades is smart is it not?
    I'm not advocating a boycott. In this cir stance, it's silly. However, lets not underestimate the economic impact that the higher paying Toyota jobs and benefits are going to have for South Texas, and S.T. pool of employees. These aren't Bill Millers jobs, no matter how loyal to the company you may be.

Tommy Duncan
    Again, danny boy, I said I don't think the government should do that. That does not imply naitivity of how local and state governments tend to operate, especially for the benefit of commercial interests.

Figure it out.

Thread Information