Pooh
    By Mark Montieth
    [email protected]
    July 8, 2004

Indiana Pacers associate coach Mike Brown was the runner-up to Mike Woodson in Atlanta's search for a coach but feels he took another step forward in his career.

Brown, 34, got his first interviews for head coaching positions this summer, talking with the Hawks and Toronto.

"I had a great experience going through the process," he said. "I learned a lot and grew a lot."

Woodson, who played at Broad Ripple High School and Indiana University, will fly to Atlanta this morning to sign his contract and be introduced by the Hawks.

Brown will fly to Indianapolis this evening from his offseason home in San Antonio to rejoin the Pacers as they prepare for rookie/free agent camp.

"It was a win-win situation for me because I'm with a great organization," Brown said.

Atlanta general manager Billy Knight said he gave Brown serious consideration, but his relationship with Woodson, which goes back nearly 30 years, prevailed.

"He was a good candidate," Knight said of Brown. "It was a close call. He's the next logical guy to me among these guys who have paid their dues and earned their stripes.

"I just knew more about Mike Woodson and decided to go this way."

Brown spent a day in Atlanta interviewing with Knight and two other members of the Hawks' management group. He interviewed with Toronto during the predraft camp in Chicago.

"It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be," Brown said. "(Pacers coach Rick Carlisle) did a heckuva job supporting me in this process. He did a terrific job preparing me."

Still talking

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh and team president Larry Bird continue to seek opportunities to sign a free agent or execute a trade. So far, the process hasn't produced results.

"You just work every day to get things done," Walsh said. "Some days are good and some days are bad, and then one day you wake up and you're able to do something."

Is he confident he and Bird will be able to make a move?

"I would never say one way or another," Walsh said. "Things happen that you don't expect all the time."

Walsh said it has not become necessary to bring in a free agent prospect or meet with one face to face.

Jackson getting hotter?

One of the Pacers' primary free agent targets, Atlanta's Stephen Jackson, could be affected by recent developments involving two San Antonio players.

Spurs forward Hedo Turkoglu reportedly has agreed to a six-year, $39 million deal with Orlando. Manu Ginobili, meanwhile, visited Denver last weekend and could receive a major offer.

Ginobili is a restricted free agent, meaning the Spurs will have 15 days to match any offers once the signing period begins Tuesday.

If San Antonio loses one or both of those players, it could step up its pursuit of Jackson.

Jackson has listed the Pacers, Spurs and Hawks as favored destinations.

pacersrule03
    Brown will have his chance someday. He is a good coach, I'm glad he'll be here this season.

Thread Information