acers more likely to take trade route

Indiana will have tough time signing free agents because of salary cap.

They won 61 games and took the eventual league champions to six games in the Eastern Conference finals despite injuries to two starters. With the exception of their shooting guard, they are young and deep.So what do the Indiana Pacers need with the free agent marketplace that opens for negotiations today?
Not much, really. Which is why they enter it with an offensive mind-set of adding select pieces rather than a defensive posture of trying to hang on to their assets.

"This is different than other times I've gone into this period," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. "I've gone into it having to keep what we've got or having to add something to what we've got. But we have our team. It's here. The idea is to try to make it better."

The Pacers have 11 players under contract for next season, excluding draft picks David Harrison and Rashad Wright. They also will consider re-signing two others from last season, Anthony Johnson and Jamison Brewer.

The Pacers will find it more difficult than most teams to improve their roster, but opportunities could arise in a rare marketplace in which some of the game's biggest names are available as free agents or hoping to be traded.

Kobe Bryant is an unrestricted free agent, although one whose future is clouded by a legal proceeding. Also unrestricted are Erick Dampier, Rasheed Wallace, Derek Fisher, Brent Barry, Mark Blount and Stephen Jackson.

Kenyon Martin, Jamal Crawford, Carlos Boozer, Manu Ginobili, Hedo Turkoglu, Marquis Daniels, Morris Peterson and Carlos Arroyo are among the restricted free agents whose teams can -- and in most cases will -- match any offers.
The Pacers' payroll for next season will far exceed the salary cap, projected to be close to last season's figure of $43.8 million. Their only tools for signing free agents are the $1 million exception (which is actually $1.6 million) and the mid-level exception (about $5 million).
The Pacers are more likely to make a trade. Among the players who could be available:

• Shaquille O'Neal, who has put his home up for sale in Los Angeles in anticipation of a move.

• Vince Carter, who has asked for a trade, according to Toronto newspapers.
• Ray Allen has one year left on his contract in Seattle and could be moved in advance of his free agency.
The Pacers will explore the possibility of landing O'Neal. At 7 feet and reportedly 340 pounds, he is the NBA's most imposing player. But at 32, he might be past his prime.
First, however, they need to find out if O'Neal has interest in them. He has two years left on his contract, at $27.7 million and $30.6 million per season, and is seeking an extension.
"I'm not sure," Walsh said. "I've heard yes (he might have interest in the Pacers) and I've heard he wants to play in warmer weather."
A call to O'Neal's agent, Perry Rogers, was not returned.

If O'Neal is interested, so are the Pacers.

"It would be nice," said team president Larry Bird, who will handle the Pacers' activities this month in tandem with Walsh. "He's the most dominating player (in the league). But the price is high."

The Pacers' primary goal is to add perimeter shooting. They also will consider adding a proven point guard and more size up front, although they addressed those concerns in last week's draft.

Harrison, a center, will sign a three-year rookie contract next week. Wright, a point guard who was selected with the final pick in the second round, won't necessarily receive a guaranteed contract. Both players have been working out at Conseco Fieldhouse this week and will participate in summer league play in Salt Lake City later this month.

The Pacers' early impressions of their picks could affect their moves once the signing period begins July 14.

Six-year veteran Al Harrington, who has asked to be traded, is the most likely Pacer to be involved in a deal.