Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5236352

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Kobe Bryant accomplished something Michael Jordan never did.

FOX Bite
    Videos

Kobe lifts Lakers, again
    For the fourth consecutive game, Lakers guard Kobe Bryant exploded for 45-plus points, this time in a 96-90 win over the visiting Pacers. Hear from the record-setting superstar after the victory.

Or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
    Or Larry Bird.

Or anyone else in more than 41 years.

Kobe Bryant torched the Pacers for 45 points Monday night. (Noah Graham/NBAE via / Getty Images)

Bryant scored 45 points, making him the first player to score at least that many in four consecutive games since November 1964, and the Los Angeles Lakers beat the Indiana Pacers 96-90 Monday night for their third straight victory.

The last player to score at least 45 or more points in four consecutive games was Wilt Chamberlain, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

"I am just blessed. I have just been blessed to be able to play this game. I am just very fortunate," Bryant said.

Regarding his accomplishments, Bryant said: "I try not to think about it too much. I just try to stay in the moment as much as possible. With that being said, I still appreciate greatness and feel very blessed, very fortunate, of what's going on. I am very lucky."

Bryant scored 45 points on Dec. 28 against Memphis, 48 last Friday night against Philadelphia, and 50 on Saturday night against the Clippers.

He sat out games against Utah on Jan. 1-3 after being suspended for two games for elbowing Mike Miller in the Memphis game - a flagrant foul.

"I think that it's remarkable," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said of Bryant's latest accomplishment.

Jackson was the coach in Chicago when Jordan led the Bulls to six championships in the 1990s.

"Hey, the guy's at the top of his game," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said when asked about Bryant. "We're witnessing true greatness. It's a rare opportunity to see a guy perform at this level."

Bryant scored 17 points in the fourth quarter, reaching 45 by making two free throws with 9.6 seconds left. He also had 10 rebounds and five assists. He had become the first player with at least 45 in three straight games since Jordan accomplished the feat in 1990.

"Right now, he's got it cookin'," said teammate Lamar Odom, who had 17 points and 12 rebounds.

"He's a rare one. You take your hat off to a guy like that," said Jermaine O'Neal, who led the Pacers with 24 points and 16 rebounds but scored only two points in the fourth quarter, when he missed all four of his attempts from the foul line.

"I'm so disappointed right now," he said. "We were there until I coughed the game up. At the end of the game, I felt like I let the team down. There is no excuse."

O'Neal had missed three games because of illness before returning Sunday night in Sacramento, when he had 12 points and eight rebounds in just 22 minutes of a 108-83 Indiana victory. He played 44 1/2 minutes against the Lakers.

Kwame Brown added nine points and nine rebounds for the Lakers (18-16).

Anthony Johnson scored 14 points and rookie Danny Granger had 12 points and nine rebounds for the Pacers (18-14). Indiana's Stephen Jackson, who scored a season-high 31 points in Sacramento, was limited to 25 minutes because of foul problems and scored only eight.

Bryant made a basket with 1:46 remaining to snap an 85-all tie and put the Lakers ahead for good. O'Neal missed two free throws 12 seconds later, and Odom made a 3-pointer with 1:20 left to give the Lakers a five-point lead.

Bryant's last two points made it 95-90 and clinched the victory. Bryant shot 14-of-32 from the field including 2-of-6 from 3-point range and 15-of-21 from the foul line.

The Lakers scored the first eight points of the fourth quarter to go ahead 72-65. But the Pacers responded by going on a 12-4 run for a 77-76 lead. Neither team led by more than four points after that until Odom's big 3-pointer.

O'Neal scored six points during a 13-3 run that gave Indiana a 60-57 lead. The Pacers led 65-64 entering the fourth quarter.

Neither team led by more than four points in the second period, which ended with the Lakers on top 47-45. Bryant had 20 points at that stage.

Jackson began the game guarding Bryant, but went to the bench with two fouls just 3 1/2 minutes into the game and didn't return until the second quarter.

David Harrison and O'Neal each scored five points as the Pacers jumped out to a 14-8 lead. Bryant scored 11 points in the last 5:45 of the opening period to spark a 16-8 run that put the Lakers ahead 24-22.

I'm sure all of you will find room to hate, but we are wittnessing something special. His achievements are staggering, and if this was a Spur you'd be creaming your pants in glee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad it's a team sport.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Kobe Bryant is an awesome basketball player. No denying it. Can he lead his team to championships as the no. 1 go-to guy? We'll see ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can he be a go-to guy?
    He always has the ball because of lack of talent joining it in piss and purple on the floor.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kobe has one the championship as the #1 option. See Lakers 3 peat. Any denying this fact is delusional.
    Yes it's a team sport, but someone needs to put the ball in the hoop and unfortunately he's the only consistent option on the floor.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It is a shame that the children of San Antonio are not able to witness history in the making on a nightly basis...

I was not around when Wilt Chamberlain was in his prime...But when I watch Kobe, I feel as though someone even greater is playing today....

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I guess I thought posting on an NBA forum albeit a Spur's one it still surprises me the hate towards Kobe. He's putting up crazy #'s and his team is winning and people still find room to gripe and complain. He's so far ahead of anyone in the L right now it's not even funny.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I know what you mean....Kobe scores 45 points 3 games in a row & FSP’s headlines are about Yao’s big toe...Golden States Interest in Artest...And some guy name Paul sore thumb....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I personally love watching Kobe on the court. There's no denying his talent and the competiveness that drives him. Clearly he's the #1 option on a team with limited talent. But, sometimes I watch his game and I see at least 5-8 shots per game where I think, "Man, if he had passed the ball instead of forcing the ball and taking that ill-advised shot...Lakers could have scored." IMO, he really needs to work on that.

I think the problem with Kobe is that people let his off-court image/actions affect their perception of him. Which is understandable given all the off-court drama he's been involved in over the past few years.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    First of all, I don't know if you were referring to me, but I'm not hating on Kobe Bryant at all. I think he's clearly one of the best players in the league. All I said was we don't know yet if he can carry a team to a championship.

Secondly, as great as Kobe is, he's not "so far ahead of anyone in the L" right now. I personally think he's better than LeBron James, but LeBron is not far behind. I think Kevin Garnett is easily at the same level as Kobe even if his stats are a little down this year. KG just doesn't try to score 40 points a game. Allen Iverson is easily at the same level as Kobe, even though Kobe is a little better. And, argue all you want, but Vince Carter is playing just as well as Kobe is right now. Making a blanket statement that Kobe is far and away better than everyone else in the league really shows your bias.

Kobe has one the championship as the #1 option. See Lakers 3 peat. Any denying this fact is delusional.
    Yes it's a team sport, but someone needs to put the ball in the hoop and unfortunately he's the only consistent option on the floor.
    Lastly, in which championship of the Lakers threepeat was Kobe the #1 option? You're kidding right?

1999-2000 REGULAR SEASON
    Kobe Bryant: 22.5 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 4.9 apg
    Shaquille O'Neal: 29.7 ppg, 13.6 rpg, 3.8 apg

2000 PLAYOFFS
    Kobe Bryant: 21.1 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 4.4 apg
    Shaquille O'Neal: 30.7 ppg, 15.4 rpg, 3.1 apg

2000-01 REGULAR SEASON
    Kobe Bryant: 28.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 5.0 apg
    Shaquille O'Neal: 28.7 ppg, 12.7 rpg, 3.7 apg

2001 PLAYOFFS
    Kobe Bryant: 29.4 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 6.1 apg
    Shaquille O'Neal: 30.4 ppg, 15.4 rpg, 3.2 apg

2001-02 REGULAR SEASON
    Kobe Bryant: 25.2 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 5.5 apg
    Shaquille O'Neal: 27.2 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 3.0 apg

2002 PLAYOFFS
    Kobe Bryant: 26.6 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 4.6 apg
    Shaquille O'Neal: 28.5 ppg, 12.6 rpg, 2.8 apg

When again was Kobe the no. 1 option for a Lakers championship team? Even if you want to argue that Kobe and Shaq were both both equally the no. 1 go-to guy, that doesn't change the my question wondering if Kobe can carry and lead his team to championship as the no. 1 go-to guy. Not sharing the that responsibility. But, being the flat out no. 1 option. You can criticize Shaquille O'Neal the same way. What has Shaq won without Kobe? True. But, Shaq has a better argument that he was the number one option on those Lakers teams. And, Shaq has been to the NBA finals and to another conference final without Kobe. The one year Kobe did not have Shaq, his team failed to make the playoffs.

Kobe is great. He's probably a hall of famer already. But, don't get too carried away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kobe n legend should not be in the same sentence or topic, he hasnt even lead a team on his own to the championship ring yet, stats dont mean , records are always broken, sooner or layter sumone by the name of lehype james is goin to break it.

kobe.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Pure Hate.....from all so called fans of the NBA. Like I said in all my posts throughout this pointless arguement. Kobe's compared to Jordan, Wilt, Baylor, and other greats, the rest of the players, Wade, Lebron, Tmac, and Vince are compared to Kobe. That's the difference. I'm not denying the fact said players are great, they are, but when you watch the All-Star game this year, you'll clearly see who's better. The #'s he's putting up in a L with zone defenses, no second option, scarse shooting help, it's begs to think what if he played in Jordan's era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's begs to think what if he played in Jordan's era.

I'd say Kobe is probably the "closest" thing to a MJ type of player we have in the NBA, but no way could Kobe have held his own against an MJ in his prime. Especially if you factor in their respective team-mates.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 14-32 and 17-41 dominance those last two games was amazing.... but I'd be more impressed if he shot 45% when he scored 45.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm not comparing a head to head, all I'm saying is if you put Kobe today in the era of Jordan, Bird and Magic, it would be crazy.

Of course I would like him score 45 points and average 50%. The type of game he plays and how the coaches have instructed the team, he takes most of the bail out shots for his team which reduce his fg%, not to mention being doubled and tripled most often.

Remember he did score 48 vs Philly in his latest streak:
    19/29 and 7/7 3's
    Last edited by Medvedenko; 01-10-2006 at 02:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is bout only good for my Fantasy Team

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kobe n legend should not be in the same sentence or topic, he hasnt even lead a team on his own to the championship ring yet, stats dont mean , records are always broken, sooner or layter sumone by the name of lehype james is goin to break it.

kobe.

I hope English is not your first language.

Crowned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 14-32 and 17-41 dominance those last two games was amazing.... but I'd be more impressed if he shot 45% when he scored 45.
    Er - 14-32 is 44%. Unless it's that one percentage point that's going to push him over the top in your book.

Or what about the game where he scored 62 in three quarters on 58% shooting?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    My entire point is this....no one will be happy until Kobe wins a championship with a team comprised of special olympians coached by emanual lewis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was not around when Wilt Chamberlain was in his prime...But when I watch Kobe, I feel as though someone even greater is playing today....

Wake me up when Kobe gets a ring without Shaq, KG or Timmy.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wake me up when Kobe gets a ring without Shaq, KG or Timmy.
    Wake me up when Drob wins a ring without TD...oh yeah I forgot...that scrub didn't win until another All-star joined him...woops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF are you talking about?

The Admiral took a step back in '99 aknowledging Timmy was a better player.
    Therefore we are where we are today.

It's the complete opposite in every which way to what's been going on in Lalaland since Kobe came over from Charlotte.
    Last edited by alamo50; 01-10-2006 at 07:17 PM. Reason: No interest in Kobe's info

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kobe from Canada??????
    Anyway, Like I said....Drob's saxaphone playing days coupled with his b-ball talents didn't win until a second option was on board. So, to sum it up, no 1 player can lead his team without help from the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no 1 player can lead his team without help from the team.
    Exactly!
    Case closed!

GO KOBE!

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe is a rare combination in pro sports - a rapist and a ballhog.

Suck it faker fans.

Thread Information