By Johnnie Clay - Pacers Insider.
February 24, 2004 - 11:00 PM

Earlier today, the Indiana Pacers recieved some good news and then went out to destroy the Golden State Warriors this evening, 107-96 at Conseco Fieldhouse.

The first "news" of the day was the sight of guard Ron Artest, shooting around with the team. Artest, supporting a cast on his injured left thumb, was given clearance to begin workouts. That "news" boosted the teams' spirit and it carried over into tonights' game.

Jermaine O'Neal went wild tonight, scoring 34 points for the Pacers as the game resembled something right out of the 80's version of the NBA, high scoring and back-and-forth action.

That "back-and-forth" action was evident early on as there was 10 ties and 6 lead changes in the first half alone. The Warriors quickly jumped out to an 15-10 lead. But then the Pacers' bench stepped onto the floor, taking charge of the game. The bench, led by Jonathan Bender quickly seized the momentium and tied the contest up, early in the second quarter.

The Pacers starters returned and went on an 9-0 run to take the lead, 43-41 advantage late in the quarter, then tacked on another ten points to go into halftime leading 53-41.

Pacers Coach Rick Carlisle knew that a big lead was important, especially with a team that has a lot of fire power up front.

"It came down to getting stops and we were able to do that the second half. We felt it would take a 40-point half defensively to win. They got 45 but we had 55."

In the second half, the Warriors had the first substantial run of the game in a foul-plagued stretch to start the quarter, outscoring the Pacers 15-5 to take a 66-61 lead. Reggie Miller and coach Rick Carlisle both picked up third-quarter technical fouls during the Warrriors' 15-5 run, which was fueled by 10 free throws.

Jamaal Tinsley was knocked out of the game with 2:50 left in the third period when he inadvertently collided with teammate Al Harrington after making a pass on the fast break. Tinsley, whose jaw hit Harrington's shoulder, could've returned to the game but and is expected to be back in action Friday night in New Orleans.

The Pacers eventually turned the game around late in the period, putting together a 17-6 counterpunch to close the quarter with an 80-74 lead. Then the reserves took over, scoring the Pacers' first 10 points of the fourth quarter, seven of them from Fred Jones, as the lead was stretched to 91-80.

Golden State's Speedy Claxton was hit with a Type 1 Flagrant Foul for grabbing Jones from behind on a drive to the basket early in the fourth period. Warriors coach Eric Musselman was initially hit with a technical foul for protesting, but it was later rescinded by the officials - as was Anthony Johnson's miss on the ensuing free throw.

The Warriors would get no closer than seven the rest of the way as the Pacers went onto to their third in a row, pushing their league best record to 42-15, eight games ahead of idle Detroit in the Central Division. The Pacers seem to do well against the Western Conference teams, their 14-6 record and .700 winning percentage against the West is the best of any NBA team.

Afterwards, Pacers Coach Rick Carlisle talked about his teams' effort tonight.

“Golden State is a really fine team. They’ve got a lot of depth and a lot of guys who can hurt you. It’s a great win for us." Carlisle said. "We’re playing 10 guys and the guys off the bench really made a solid contribution tonight. The second unit is really coming together. Jonathan Bender is coming into his own offensively. It came down to getting stops and we were able to do that the second half."

Carlisle later talked about Jermaine O'Neal's 34 point performance tonight.

"Jermaine’s entire game continues to evolve in quantum leaps. We know he’s the best post player in the East; but now he’s got the outside shot to complement that. He’s got a good feel now for when to go to it."

The Pacers shot 52% (44-85) for the night, along with 75% (15-20) from the free-throw line. Aside from O'Neal, five other Pacers were in double-figures - Al Harrington with 12 points and 5 rebounds, Jamaal Tinsley with 13 points and 11 assists, Anthony Johnson with 12 points, 4 assists, Fred Jones with 11 points, 6 assists and Jonathan Bender with 12 points.

Bender talked about getting valuable time on the floor and how his teammates inspired him.

“I am beginning to get the feel of things out there now and my teammates are really helping me." Bender said. "As far as Ron Artest, I look over there and see him jumping and cheering and it really makes me want to do well. I am beginning to pick up when they try to double and I can be open. I’m going to continue to hustle and give it all I have and improve on my game.”

The Pacers now have a few days off before heading to New Orleans for a Friday night re-match with the Hornets. The Pacers lost 89-75 to the Hornets a week ago in the first game after the All-Star break, but Indiana holds a 2-1 lead in the season series and can clinch the tie-breaker with a victory. The Pacers are 3-0 in New Orleans overall.

Game Time Friday is at 8pm (EST).