By Johnnie Clay - Pacers Insider.
February 22, 2004 - 8:30 PM.

The Indiana Pacers this afternoon shook off the fiesty Utah Jazz this afternoon 94-80, in a game that had everything. It had drama, (an exciting game), suspense, (Pacers Coach Rick Carlisle getting ejected) and elation (sweet victory) at the end.

First...the drama. The game was a close one from the beginning, with the Jazz seizing the advantage by taking a 19-17 lead at the end of the first quarter The game stayed like that, with both teams grabbing the lead over and over.

Second...the suspense. In the midst of a second quarter in which Utah attempted 14 free throws, coach Rick Carlisle was ejected for vigorously protesting an offensive foul against Reggie Miller with 3:08 remaining in the half. Carlisle, who was angry with lead official Jim Clark, had to be restrained by Austin Croshere.

Afterwards, Carlisle spoke briefly about the incident.

“I’m going to be brief. I wasn’t here for much of it. I understand officials have tough calls to make but we had two players, Reggie Miller and Jermaine O’Neal, who weren’t getting the respect they deserve out there. That’s why I did what I did. I’m proud of the team for sticking together. I’m proud of Mike, Ronnie and Dan (Pacers' coaching staff) for pulling it together. They’re a tough team to play and tough to beat. We needed everybody to step up and they did.”

The Jazz went into the half, up by one (44-43) without their emotional leader (Ron Artest) and their coach, (Carlisle) it appeared as if the Pacers were done for.

Then came...the elation.

Utah led 64-59 with 3:38 left in the third period, but the Pacers outscored the Jazz 8-2 to close the period with a 67-66 lead. The biggest basket of the game came from Jonathan Bender, whose breakaway dunk with eight-tenths of a second left in the period put the Pacers ahead for good, igniting the crowd and his teammates.

The Pacers then opened the fourth quarter by outscoring the Jazz 12-2 to build a 79-68 lead with 6:04 remaining and the visitors would not threaten again. In all, the Pacers outscored Utah 20-4 in the game-turning 9-minute stretch, with reserves accounting for 16 of the points.

Afterwards, "step" coach Mike Brown talked about stepping in for the ejected Carlisle.

"You don’t think about it. You just focus on winning the game. It just happens. Guys can either fold or use it as a rallying cry and tonight they used it as a rallying cry." Brown said. "Al (Harrington) played a heck of a game for us. He started off slow but picked it up defensively and that got his offense going. Our bench did a heck of a job. This was a great test for us because their record is deceiving.”

Speaking of that bench, which were led by the trio of Jonathan Bender, Scott Pollard, and Austin Croshere, outscored the Jazz bench 39-35 this evening.

Afterwards each of them spoke about their contribution to todays' victory.

“I think we were a little concerned that Rick got tossed a little prematurely in our opinion. We felt we had to get out there, play hard, play together and show that we’re the best tin the East." Scot Pollard said. "Playoffs are coming and that is the time that it really counts so we must continue to play at this level.”

“Our depth is a strong part of our team. Tonight was a season-high minutes for me and I take pride in it and think that I handled it well. You prepare the same way every game, every night, every time." Austin Croshere said. "You don’t know when you’ll be asked to play two minutes, 10 minutes or more. Jonathan Bender had to play some extended minutes tonight also and I think he handled it well. We all think that at some point in time we’re going to be called on to help keep this team winning.”

“Rick went to us and the other coaches and I think we responded. I must continue to prepare myself to play hard, do the things that are needed of me to help keep this team winning." Jonathan Bender said. "I am not concerned about my knees; I’m not concerned about my shooting. I think I have a place on this team and can help us not only now; but into the playoff picture. Utah can be a very physical team and we had to play as hard against them.”

The Pacers shot 46% (26-57) from the field but attempted a season-low 57 field-goal attempts against a physical, aggressive Utah defense that eventually the price at the free throw line.
The Pacers also went 40-50, (80%) from the free-throw line. The 50 attempts were the most this season by any NBA team.

Jermaine O'Neal led the Pacers in scoring with 21 points. O'Neal scored 13 of his 21 points form the line, adding 10 rebounds, 7 blocks and 4 assists.

Austin Croshere went 5-7 from the field and scored 15 points with 5 rebounds off the bench. Al Harrington scored 12 of his 14 points in the second half. Jamaal Tinsley had 13 points and 4 assists in 24 minutes. And Jonathan Bender scored 11 points with 2 steals and a block in 14 active minutes off the bench.

The Pacers next face the Golden State Warriors for the first time this season, at Conseco Fieldhouse this coming Tuesday. In what will be a rematch of the Sprite Rising Stars Slam-Dunk finalists.

The Pacers Freddie Jones upset two-time defending champion Jason Richardson of Golden State to claim the trophy. The Pacers have won the last two from the Warriors at home.

Game Time Tuesday is at 7pm (EST).