My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Chauncey Billups mentioned this same thing before the game in Utah a couple months ago (A game that saw the Pistons shoot 38%, and Tayshaun, a 75% FT shooter miss all 4 of his attempts. All of them rattling in and out. Along with Rip and Chauncey combining for 26% from the field). Looks like he's not alone:
    http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...420.xml&coll=1

NETS NOTEBOOK
    Padgett following the bouncing ball
    Thursday, January 26, 2006
    BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
    Star-Ledger Staff

LOS ANGELES -- Forget Artest, Isiah and Kendra Davis. The NBA has a real scandal that is about to blow, and Scott Padgett has the skinny:

Utah cheats, he says.

In fact, the Jazz has been cheating for years.

"They overinflate the balls," the Nets forward said.

Come again?

"They have an offense geared toward the layup, so they want your jumpers bouncing out," he explained. "The whole time I was there (1999-2003), the balls were hard. I'm gone now, and the balls are still too hard. They overinflate them, I'm telling you."

Padgett was smiling as he spread this malicious gossip because, well, he knows that nobody really cares. But shooters care. Especially shooters who clanged two wide-open shots from downtown at the Delta Center, as he did Monday night -- on a team that shot 2-for-21 overall from international waters.

"I'm not levying a charge, it's the truth," he said. "Ask anybody."

Actually, if you ask Jacque Vaughn, another Jazz alum, he makes a noise with his lips that sounds like a truck backfiring and walks away quickly.

"Or just look at their stats -- their field-goal defense at home and on the road," Padgett suggested.

Actually, they're a .500 team at home, and a .500 team on the road.

"I'm telling you, if one of those balls hits you straight on, you're breaking a finger," Padgett said. "I dislocated one here (right pinkie) and one here (left pinkie), and both happened when I was in Utah."

Actually, referees are supposed to ensure that each game ball is filled with seven to nine pounds of air ... but come to think of it, Nenad Krstic got a ball-jam Monday night, and thought he broke his finger.

"See, it's not a conspiracy theory," Padgett said triumphantly. "It's strictly fact-based."
    Last edited by FreshPrince22; 01-26-2006 at 12:57 PM.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    To add fuel to the fire. Utah's Jumpshooters:

Memo Okur
    Home: 43.9% FG, 33% 3FG
    Away: 47.5% FG, 43.6% 3FG

Gordon Giricek
    Home: 41.6% FG, 24% 3FG
    Away: 46.2% FG, 31% 3FG

Matt Harpring
    Home: 43.2% FG, 30% 3FG
    Away: 51% FG, 40% 3FG

Devin Brown
    Home: 39% FG, 20% 3FG
    Away: 42% FG, 38% 3FG

AK47 is the only guy who shoots better at home. And he's not really a jumpshooter (his 3 point percentage is also down at home)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems pretty stupid to me, but if they are overinflating the balls both teams will suffer. Not every shot by the Jazz will be a layup.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Seems pretty stupid to me, but if they are overinflating the balls both teams will suffer. Not every shot by the Jazz will be a layup.
    As Padgett noted, Sloan's offense involves more layups than most teams. Yea, it still hurts them as well, but not as much as other teams since they don't rely on the jumper as much as most, and their opponents aren't used to it, so they can get frustrated easily. That's the point I think.
    Last edited by FreshPrince22; 01-26-2006 at 01:27 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    hmm seems to be true.

I remember this year when pistons played @ jazz, when the captains of the teams come check the ball and shake hands and stuff. Chauncey complained about the ball being over inflated but the guy from jazz squad said i looks fine with him. Even fsn announcers said it and showed the clip where chauncey said it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, referees are supposed to ensure that each game ball is filled with seven to nine pounds of air
    Two pounds of air seems like a lot of variance. Who determines if it seven or nine or somewhere in between? The home team? If this is really the rules, then how is Utah cheating?

Seems to me in this day and age that they could have all the balls digitally pumped to the exact same pressure. But does the league care enough for about jump shooters?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those mother ers.....

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do that at carnivals too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO @ Spam. Nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate breaking fingers, I broke my left middle finger 2 times in this past year...it probably won't fully recover.

Those JAzz bas s....

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Won't 9 pounds of pressure at al ude make the ball seem harder than the exact same pressure at sea level? Like greywheel said, 2 pounds of variance is like 20 percent.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I think that there sould only be a range from 7.8 to 8.2 . This way, the balls will be relatively the same for all teams. Also, if there is a complaint from the visiting team, the ref should check to see exactly how much pressure is in the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those mother ers.....

Thread Information