By Johnnie Clay - Pacers Insider.
December 23, 2003 - 1:00 a.m.

Once again, the Indiana Pacers rebounded after a defeat. The only team in the league who has yet to have a losing streak this year, extended it tonight as Jermaine O'Neal had 21 points and 14 rebounds for his 15th double-double of the season to lead the Indiana Pacers to a 79-71 victory over the Houston Rockets on Tuesday night.

“We played a terrific all-around game." Pacers Coach Rick Carlisle said afterwards. "It really helped practicing yesterday because we had a day to work on things. We did the little things well and it helped us win the game. We are going to enjoy the win. It was a quality win against a great ball club."

Ron Artest also added 21 points, along with 6 rebounds and 5 assists, while Anthony Johnson had 13 points, giving the Pacers only three players in double-figures for the night.

Johnson filled in for point guard Kenny Anderson, who injured his calf muscle early in the contest.

"It was my calf muscle and I am going to get an MRI." Anderson said. "I shot the jump shot and then when I was running down the court, I really felt it. It’s really hurting right now. I can’t put any pressure on it."

From all appearances, it looks like Anderson will be out for quite sometime.

"It looks like Kenny is going to be out awhile, but Jamaal Tinsley is ready to come back and play and we will need him." Carlisle said.

Steve Francis led Houston with 23 points, Jim Jackson had 14 and Maurice Taylor had 13 rebounds for Houston.

Indiana fell behind 6-0 to start the game but then outscored Houston 15-1, including six points by O'Neal, to lead 15-7 with 4:02 left in the first period. The Rockets cut their deficit to 22-20, before the Pacers moved ahead 39-28 at the half.

Houston was never closer than five in the third period and trailed 57-49, going into the final quarter.

Houston pull within three at 59-56 with 8:52 left, but the Pacers scored 12 straight, including five by Artest, to take a 71-56 lead with 4:59 left.

The Rockets made another late charge with nine straight points to cut the deficit to 75-69 with 51 seconds left, but couldn't get closer.

The Pacers shot 38% (28-74) and 27% (3-11) from the free-throw line. Houston's Yao Ming, was held to only 12 points, while taking just four shots for the evening.

The Pacers are now off until Friday night when they face the Milwaukee Bucks. The Bucks handed the Pacers their first loss of the season this past Halloween, thumping them 93-79.

Gametime Friday is at 8:30 pm (EST)