Pacers Coach Rick Carlisle answered questions from Pacers fans this past week, here is what he said.

Q. Did you expect such a fast start with this team, or are you surprised the early success? Secondly, it’s very clear that it’s our defense and patience that’s winning games for us at this point, but throughout the course of the season we’ll need to be able to put more points on the board – how do you plan to accomplish this, and what do you consider to be our most prevalent offensive strengths and weaknesses? (From Jackson in Cincinnati)

A. I like our record. At the same time, we’ve lost some games I felt we should have won. We’ve probably won a couple we were fortunate to win. It’s hard to say exactly what the expectation was. More than anything, my greatest goal for this team has been that we compete at a sustained high level every game, every night during the season. We’ve shown signs of being able to do that but lately we’ve slipped some, and we’re going to have to remedy that situation in order to continue our success. We’re obviously going to need to score. There’s no doubt about that. However, I still do believe that our offense has got to be more a product of our defense than vice versa. We’re in the top two in points allowed, and I think that’s something we have to continue to strive to do – to be one of the top defensive teams. And if we do, I don’t have any doubt that we’ll score enough points.

Q. The last couple of years, the Pacers have been extraordinarily deep to a point where it became a liability, at times. As I look at the subtractions and additions during the offseason it would seem that the logjam is still there, possibly even more difficult to manage. How do you plan to mold this wealth of talent into a focused unit? (From Chuck in Houston TX)

A. Part of the process of coming into a new situation is to identify everyone’s strengths and weaknesses. We have a situation now where, in terms of our bench, our minutes tend to get split between Austin Croshere and Scot Pollard, depending on matchups. If we’re playing a bigger team, Pollard has gotten minutes. If we’re playing teams with smaller front lines, Austin gets minutes at both four and five. In terms of the rest of the roster, until Jonathan Bender comes back healthy and plays some, we’re not going to know exactly where the rest of the pieces of the puzzle are going to fit in. We’ve got to find out which position or positions he’s comfortable with and the status of his health, obviously. In terms of having a deep roster, I like it. Having too many players is a preferable problem to having too few.

Q. In recent years, the Pacers lacked depth at the point guard position. Now, that problem seems to be getting straightened out, but we lost an All-Star center and what I thought was a pretty good shooting guard in Ron Mercer. Reggie Miller is still "The Man,” but he does have to have help. Do you think the shooting guard position needs more depth, or are there enough versatile players that the rotation will have a good balance? (From Guy in Kokomo, IN)

A. When Jonathan Bender comes back into the mix, it’s quite possible he can help us at the shooting guard spot along with Freddie Jones and Ron Artest to back up Reggie. But, again, exactly when that will happen, I don’t know, in terms of Jonathan’s return.

Q. Are you an inspirational-type coach? What I mean by that is do you try and cheer the players on even when they're not playing well? (From Stephen in Indianapolis)

A. You’ve got to be supportive as a head coach. I don’t believe in being negative to players or getting down on guys. I do believe in telling them the truth, and I do believe in hard work. One of the things I believe as a head coach is that you can’t treat everybody the same but you have to give each guy equal attention. That’s what we try to do as a staff. Our assistant coaches do a great job of working with our young players and I spend as much time as I can with guys like James Jones, Primoz Brezec, Jamison Brewer and Jamaal Tinsley when he’s not hurt. We’re always trying to stay positive with these guys.

Q. With things going so well it is hard to question any of your decisions. That being said, I was wondering what the plan is with Jamaal Tinsley? Is he still considered the point guard of the future? Do you believe this benching will, in the end, make him a better player, or has the organization given up on him? (From Jonathan in Indianapolis)

A. Before anything can happen with Jamaal, he’s got to get healthy. He’s been on the injured list now for two weeks. The truth is, we need him healthy, we need him to get himself ready to play and when there are opportunities, he needs to go out and contribute. Ironically, some of those opportunities presented themselves in the last several games when Anthony Johnson missed two games due to a strained abdominal muscle. Had Jamaal been healthy and available, he would’ve had an opportunity to step in and play significant minutes. As it was, Jamison Brewer was the guy that stepped in and contributed. There’s no agenda with Jamaal, in terms of wanting to trade him or anything like that. At this point, it’s a matter of health and conditioning more than anything else.

Q. You've said all the right things since your departure but don't you badly want to beat Detroit, not only (in games), but in the standings and, if the opportunity comes, in the playoffs? (From Mark in Taylor, MI)

A. Well, listen: Detroit is one of the better teams. And I still feel they’re going to be one of the front-runners in the East. When we match up head-to-head with them, it’s an important game. As far as any personal issues I have with the Pistons, there simply are not any. To me, it’s about players and winning basketball games and that’s all it should be about.

Q. I would like to know what is the best explanation for the at ude change in Ron Artest this year. He is awesome and he has really changed my idea of his ability to be a real team player. Last year I was really concerned about the team. But this year he has really matured and I think it is great. (From Mary in Bloomington, IN)

A. I’m just as happy for Ron as you are. The change in him this year has come about because of him and no one else. He’s chosen to make this year about his abilities on the court and not other things, and that’s been great to see. It also has been great to see him get recognition for being one of the fine players in this league.

Q. What did you see went wrong with the Pacers in the second half of last season under (former coach Isiah) Thomas, and how do you plan to make sure that doesn't happen to your team? (From Matt in Mahomet, IL)

A. It’s hard for me to comment on last year when I wasn’t directly involved. I know they had a lot of personal issues and tragedies, along with injuries, that complicated the second half of their year. Some of those things, you simply don’t have control over. The hope is, if you have a deep roster like we do, if you get people hurt or you get personal situations where guys have to miss games, that you’ll have enough people to fill in. And so far, when we’ve had key people miss games, other guys have stepped up and contributed and we’ve been able to win. I view that as a positive to this point.