By Johnnie Clay - Pacers Insider.
December 9, 2003 - 11:45 pm

It's nice to go traveling, but it's oh so nice to be home. In what seemed like an eternity on the road, the Indiana Pacers returned home to Conseco Fieldhouse tonight and crushed the Washington Wizards 93-79.

Ron Artest, coming off an un-wrongful technical and ejection this Sunday against the Kings, led the Pacers with 16 points, 7 rebounds and 9 assists. Artest was one of five Pacers in double-figures, as their smothering defense contained the Wizards throughout the evening.

The first quarter was nip and tuck as the Pacers were having trouble shaking off the effects from the long road trip. By the end of the quarter, the Pacers had all of the starters and most reserves on the scoreboard, to lead 20-19 at the end of the first.

“It was a tough game, coming off the trip and all." Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "They (Wizards) kept coming at us. We were a little tired. At the start of the game we weren’t with it; but our defense picked us up as the game wore on."

The game was still close during most of the second quarter, until a late run by the Pacers gave them a 43-36 lead at halftime, a lead that they would extend in the second half.

Rebounding was also a key to the Pacers victory tonight, besting the Wizards 45-31. Tonight's win was a total team effort, from top to bottom, even Jamison Brewer (who is beginning to see minutes since coming off the injured list) contributed too, something that escape the eyes of his teammates and coach.

"Jamison came in and gave us big lifts for the last two games." Pacers guard Kenny Anderson said. Coach Carlisle agreed with Anderson. "He’s (Jamison) a guy who obviously has kept ready. He’s kept his head in it; and he knows what we’re doing out there.”

Brewer however, is keeping it in prospective. "It takes time to get a break and I try to stay ready." He said. "I try to work hard on defense. I like to harass the other team and I think my quickness and speed give me the advantage. I’ve been given an opportunity and I’m trying to make the best of it.”

The other Pacers made the best of it tonight as well.

Jermaine O'Neal scored 15 points, and 9 rebounds. The number "nine" was evident all over the Pacers box score this evening as O'Neal, Jeff Foster and Al Harrington each had 9 rebounds between them. Another number popped up as well, the number "six" as in number of field goals four out of the five Pacers in double-figures hit during the game.

As a team, the Pacers shot 46% (38-83) and 72% from the line. Ironically, the Wizards out shot the Pacers 48% (32-66) and 75% from the free throw line. But in the end, all that counts is what's on the scoreboard, and that was a Pacers victory, moving them to 17-5, still tops in the Central Division and in the Eastern Conference.

Next up for the Pacers will be the Atlanta Hawks. The two teams last met on Nov. 1 in Atlanta, where the Pacers squeaked out a thrilling 103-99 win in overtime. The Pacers will wear the classic uniforms of the 1972-73 ABA Champions for the second time this season (the first was in a 93-70 victory over the New York Knicks on Thanksgiving Day). The Hawks will play along as well, unveiling their 1970's-style bright green and navy retro uniforms worn by the likes of Pistol Pete Maravich, "Super" Lou Hudson and Walt "Big Bells" Bellamy

Gametime Friday is at 7:30 pm (EST)