Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    stretchman21
    im new here. i am a dallas mavericks fan, and i hate the spurs with a passion. probably because they have kicked our ass for the past few years. however, im simply here to talk ball, not a bunch of trash. anyways, im looking forward to posting here... and just wanted to let you all know... this is the end of the Spurs... jk. GO MAVS!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome to the boards, dude. Most of us feel about Dallas like Texas feels about the Aggies. We view them as a pissed off, annoying little fly that hates us with a passion but just can't touch us.

stretchman21
    hahaha. well, i think the spurs should be worried this year. they are definitley the favorites to win it all until someone knocks them off. im not a fan who is gunna say that the Mavs are the best in the NBA or anything like that. the Spurs are playing great basketball, but i do think that the Mavs have a chance this year to de-throne them since they likely will meet in the second round. i only think they have a good chance if they are able to get HCA though...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome, you've come to a good place to talk hoops. A lot of people here really know their stuff. IMO, This forum is pretty much the envy of most other NBA communities.

stretchman21
    yea. the mavs board ive been posting on has been pretty crappy as of late. so i thought id drop by over here. i hate the spurs, but i always love talking ball with spurs fans. most of them dont have their head up their asses like kings fans and lakers fans, and know their ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mavs have a better chance of competing for a le this year than any other in their history. A Spurs product, AJ, has really turned their defense around. Their defense paired with that offense makes them dangerous.

stretchman21
    agreed. I LOVE Avery. the man really knows his stuff. i think his style is kind of like a mix between Popovich and Nellie. he knows that all teams MUST start with defense, and then its important to utilize that defense into a high power offense, and get lots of fastbreak points and easy buckets. I really love his style. Personally, I think the mavs have the most talented team in the NBA, and the most potential, but until they can beat the spurs, no one can consider them the favorite. then again, no one does... lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs aren't the favorite either (mostly). All I hear is "OMG THE PISTONS ARE HAVING A DREAM SEASON THEY ARE AMAZING" yet somehow the Mavs and Spurs are only 2 losses behind their "dream season." I daresay that if the Spurs were able to have no injuries and start the same starting 5 for 50 games like the Pistons, we'd have a few less losses too.

stretchman21
    i say that the spurs are the favorite. the pistons however, IMO, match up well with the spurs, and if they met, i think the pistons would win. i have seen someone else post the same thing, but it seems like these three teams are like this...

Pistons > Spurs
    Spurs > Mavericks
    Mavericks > Pistons

however, i bet that if the Mavs or Spurs were in the east, they would AT LEAST be doing just as good as the Pistons, if not better. i bet that the spurs and mavs could win 68, maybe 69 if in the east.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea. the mavs board ive been posting on has been pretty crappy as of late. so i thought id drop by over here. i hate the spurs, but i always love talking ball with spurs fans. most of them dont have their head up their asses like kings fans and lakers fans, and know their ball.

so you hate the Spurs solely because we kick the mavs ass all the time??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People said Pistons>Spurs last year too. Once the Pistons keep losing like they are now (6-4 their last 10) we'll secure home court and own them again in the finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't hate the Spurs with a passion. Look at your head coach. If you can't beat them, hire them.

stretchman21
    lol... thats probably a large part of it. i personally dont like some of the players either. i love tim duncan, but i personally think Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are very good players, but are being overrated. Bruce Bowen is dirty as too. my brother said he saw in some article that a player actually said he sputters his lips when defending some times, and spits while doing so. i dont know how true it is, but i dunno.

to be honest, ive never really like the spurs as long as i have been a basketball fan. but being a mavs fan has added fuel to the fire. hehe.

stretchman21
    People said Pistons>Spurs last year too. Once the Pistons keep losing like they are now (6-4 their last 10) we'll secure home court and own them again in the finals.
    i wouldnt say OWN them again. they won in the final 4 minutes of game 7, so i can consider that OWNING. however, the pistons have improved more than the spurs have, so that is why i would take the pistons. they match up really well.

stretchman21
    You can't hate the Spurs with a passion. Look at your head coach. If you can't beat them, hire them.
    well, avery was a maverick at one time too... so hes an exception. lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the mavs are overrated and are gonna get beat by the Wizards tonight.

stretchman21
    the mavs are overrated and are gonna get beat by the Wizards tonight.
    thats great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wouldnt say OWN them again. they won in the final 4 minutes of game 7, so i can consider that OWNING. however, the pistons have improved more than the spurs have, so that is why i would take the pistons. they match up really well.
    Your claim that they've improved more than us is ridiculous and can't be backed up by anything other than the Piston's lack of injuries. We added NVE and Finley to a roster that beat them last year. They added nothing. They still have no bench, and as soon as tje injuries continue they will continue to lose games, as we're seeing right now. Then, when the Spurs have a 5 game lead on HCA and the "dream season" is over, no one will say that the Pistons "improved more than the Spurs."

stretchman21
    Your claim that they've improved more than us is ridiculous and can't be backed up by anything other than the Piston's lack of injuries. We added NVE and Finley to a roster that beat them last year. They added nothing. They still have no bench, and as soon as tje injuries continue they will continue to lose games, as we're seeing right now. Then, when the Spurs have a 5 game lead on HCA and the "dream season" is over, no one will say that the Pistons "improved more than the Spurs."
    NVE and Finley are two of the most inconsistent players in the NBA. finley also always chokes in the playoffs. trust me on that one. you also have a much older, and more beat up team than the Pistons. that is a big reason why i think the Pistons are more improved than the spurs. they are a young team, and their style of play has changed for the better. they are playing the style of game that all teams should strive for... a great defense that in turn, feeds into great offense. last year, they were all defense, but a clock control offense, which led to to many bad shots. also, Arroyo, Evans, and McDyess may not be great players, but are very good team players, and do a very good job for this pistons bench. and while depth is important, when its the playoffs, you see the starters quite a bit more than you would in the regular season. and overall, the pistons starters have seemed to own the spurs starters. and if the spurs DO get a 5 game lead for HCA, then perhaps we wont hear anything. but until then, as far as im concerned, while the Spurs are the favorites, i have a lot of confidence that the Pistons can take the Spurs in a playoff series.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Welcome to the board...The Dallas Mavericks Championship Trophy Case is Really Nice!

stretchman21
    Welcome to the board...The Dallas Mavericks Championship Trophy Case is Really Nice!
    lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs only lost Devin Brown, Glenn Robinson and Tony Massenburg in the summer --- players that had nothing to do with the Championship run. And they gained Finley and NVE. So nothing lost and something gained.

The Pistons only gained Maurice Evans and it looks like they are dealing Arroyo.

when its the playoffs, you see the starters quite a bit more than you would in the regular season. and overall, the pistons starters have seemed to own the spurs starters.
    Are you talking about the Pistons starters owning the Spurs starters this season in the regular season or in last year's playoffs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So your argument:

1. Detroit has great defense that feeds into great offense.
    2. The Pistons are young and the Spurs are old.

My response? First, the spurs patented the great defense that feeds into great offense 7 years ago. The Spurs' defense is statistically better than the Pistons:

Spurs FG% allowed - 42.7 (2nd in NBA)
    Pistons FG% allowed - 44.6% (14th in NBA)
    Spurs PPG Allowed - 88.1
    Pistons PPG Allowed - 89.7

The Pistons' average age is 27 years old, But Jason Maxiel and Darko Milicic are 22 and 20, respectively. They never play, so the Pistons' average age is closer to 28, which is not that far from the Spurs' 29.9.

The Pistons aren't the the best team in the league in any category except fewest injuries and fewest losses.

stretchman21
    "The Spurs only lost Devin Brown, Glenn Robinson and Tony Massenburg in the summer --- players that had nothing to do with the Championship run. And they gained Finley and NVE. So nothing lost and something gained."

you couldnt be more right. however, Finley is a choker, so beware...

"The Pistons only gained Maurice Evans and it looks like they are dealing Arroyo."

i havent heard anything about arroyo yet, however, sometimes, the best additions are no additions. and so far, it has worked quite well for this team.

"Are you talking about the Pistons starters owning the Spurs starters this season in the regular season or in last year's playoffs?"

well, last year, they started kinda slow, but eventually played quite well. however, this year, the Pistons starters have completely owned the Spurs. however, things could change come playoff time. but looking at how the pistons barely lost last year, and didnt even have HCA, and how they have dominated the spurs this year, and seem like they are on course to have HCA through the playoffs... im gunna go ahead and stick with the pistons. that too, may change however.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information