Bird, Carlisle have been traveling a lot, have many issues to address as training camp nears.

By Sekou Smith
[email protected]
September 18, 2003

Indiana Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh has been somewhat lonely at Conseco Fieldhouse the past two weeks.

President of basketball operations Larry Bird was scouting the European Basketball Championship in Sweden. Coach Rick Carlisle has been piling up the frequent flyer miles to visit and work out some of the players who'll suit up when training camp opens in two weeks.

That has left little time for face-to-face discussions about potential personnel moves or to meet with forward Jermaine O'Neal, who was critical of the organization for its firing of coach Isiah Thomas last month.

"We'll meet sometime this week and really talk about our team for the first time," Walsh said Wednesday, adding that Bird and Carlisle returned from New Orleans on Wednesday after visiting Jonathan Bender.

"Honestly, we just haven't had a chance to sit down and talk."

Among the topics of conversation will be whether another point guard is needed to solidify the rotation.

The Pacers could go to camp with Jamaal Tinsley, Anthony Johnson and Jamison Brewer and see how things work out before making a decision. Waiting that long, however, could cost the Pacers a chance to sign a veteran free agent from a short list of Kenny Anderson, Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland and Bimbo Coles.

Other teams -- from Utah to Miami to Portland -- are working from that same list. Anderson's agent, Jeff Wexler, did not return phone messages left at his office Wednesday.

"Indiana's been very positive and encouraging in regards to Bimbo and Bimbo has made it clear that he would like to play for Indiana," Coles' agent, Sean Holley, said Wednesday. "And although Bimbo prefers to play on the East Coast, it now appears more than likely that he'll be playing for a West Coast team."

Remaining on the air

The Pacers' radio broadcasting team of Mark Boyle and analyst Bob "Slick" Leonard will stay intact for the foreseeable future.

Boyle, entering his 16th year with the Pacers, recently signed a multiyear contract.

Pacers vice president for broadcast and entertainment Jamie Berns said, "We're waiting to get Slick done, and I'm confident we'll get it done soon."

Boyle was only 31 when he signed his initial contract with the Pacers. He never envisioned making Indianapolis home.

"I signed a two-year contract and figured that's how long I'd stay," Boyle said. "This is generally a pretty transient business. But now it's 15 years later. And as long as the key people are in place in this franchise, I can't see myself leaving, as long as they want me."

Boyle's list of key people includes Leonard, a former Pacers coach, and Walsh most prominently.

"That's no disrespect to anyone else," Boyle said. "But I've been around the NBA long enough to know that the flexibility we have here is pretty much unrivaled. It's not easy working for a team and it's impossible if they don't understand why we need to maintain our credibility. Donnie's always been great about that.

"And working with Slick is a bonanza for me because he's so popular and knows so much about the game and the people involved. I can't imagine any situation could be better for me than this one.

"This franchise has been great to me and I've tried to return the favor by doing good work."

Scouting staff complete

Veteran NBA scout Joe Ash has joined the Pacers as the director of scouting. He'll also work as a special assistant to Bird.

Kevin Mackey and Ryan Carr also join a scouting staff that includes Al Menendez, Mel Daniels, George Felton, Misho Ostarcevic and Joe Toumou.