Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spur lose both Games1 and 2, I agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the chances of a sa-det finals rematch is like less than 5% anyway

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    5%? Damn, I love what the Pistons are doing, but 20-1 favorites over the Spurs? Is he willing to back those odds up with his wallet? Can we at least get a vBookie like that?

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *ahem*...actually, 5% is 19-1 odds...

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I would say it's 50-50 unless it goes seven then Spurs odds go way down. Lets just hope we both are there in the finals this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say it's 50-50 unless it goes seven then Spurs odds go way down. Lets just hope we both are there in the finals this year.
    Agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's more like 75-25 in favor of Detroit, assuming both teams make it.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand why fans of a team feel compelled to make these public doom and gloom predictions that make no sense. I guess Spurs fans don't like being the frontrunner, and have to manufacture an underdog position, or they think being able to say "I said they wouldn't win" is good armor in case the Spurs get beat.

The Spurs are far and away a better team than last year, considering that they will probably set a franchise record in wins in a year where they've been allowed to coast for about 2/3 of the season. They are also the defending champions. They also got the biggest free-agent of the offseason. Face it, people: Your Spurs are the favorites. Everyone is gunning for them. They will have to do more than show up in order to win, and they have no excuse for losing. The season is a dismal failure if they don't repeat, and the trolls will be out in force if their season ends on a loss.

Deal with it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The Spurs are far and away a better team than last year"

.... if only, now in April with Tim seemingly almost unhindered by his Spurs-repeat-killer PF, they would start playing like it.

The Pistons are clearly non-Spurs-fans' favorites.

Las Vegas $favors Spurs or Pistons?

HCA will help Spurs over Mavs, so the Spurs damn well better win out over the 5 remaining games against lottery teams.

Nobody in the EC is gonna stop the Pistons except the Pistons themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Tim wasn't injured, Spurs would be heavy favorites. But with Tim's injury, I have my doubts they will win it all. But I beleive they will somehow find a way to reach the finals. And once in the finals, you never know what could happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand why fans of a team feel compelled to make these public doom and gloom predictions that make no sense. I guess Spurs fans don't like being the frontrunner, and have to manufacture an underdog position, or they think being able to say "I said they wouldn't win" is good armor in case the Spurs get beat.
    Last year the Spurs were winning big and losing small.
    This year the Spurs are winning small and losing big.

Last year the defense was suffocating.
    This year the defense is sucking wind, allowing layup after layup.

Last year the team could rebound.
    This year the team watches others rebound.

Last year the team was relatively healthy (excepting Tim's ankle problems).
    This year the team has had injury after injury (including Tim's PF problems).

Last year the team played OK on B2B's.
    This year a local HS team could play them tough on the back end of a B2B.

Last year's team showed heart when Tim was out.
    This year's team shows no heart when Tim is IN.

Last year's team didn't try the Lakers "wait until the playoffs, then we'll play" gambit.
    This year's team apparently will.

I love 'em to death but we're only showing glimpses of greatness this year. A quarter here, ten minutes there, is enough to win games. You can't do that in the playoffs. Since the Spurs have never shown this "turn it on in the postseason ONLY" mentality, it's only natural that some of us are skeptical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ the difference is TIM DUNCAN

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Spurs are far and away a better team than last year, considering that they will probably set a franchise record in wins in a year where they've been allowed to coast for about 2/3 of the season. They are also the defending champions. They also got the biggest free-agent of the offseason. Face it, people: Your Spurs are the favorites. Everyone is gunning for them. They will have to do more than show up in order to win, and they have no excuse for losing. The season is a dismal failure if they don't repeat, and the trolls will be out in force if their season ends on a loss.

Deal with it.
    Last year I felt that way. I was 100% sure Spurs were the favorites and most likely win it all. But this year is totally different. I have my doubts they will win it all. The sole reason is Tim Duncan's injury. I beleive they have a good chance of reaching the finals and will consider the season a success if we can beat the Mavs. But it looks as if they won't repeat. I hope next year Tim will get better. But that won't stop me from fully supporting them this playoffs and who knows, anything could happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will ask, is there any chance spurs can reach this final??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year the Spurs were winning big and losing small.
    This year the Spurs are winning small and losing big.

Last year the defense was suffocating.
    This year the defense is sucking wind, allowing layup after layup.

Last year the team could rebound.
    This year the team watches others rebound.

Last year the team was relatively healthy (excepting Tim's ankle problems).
    This year the team has had injury after injury (including Tim's PF problems).

Last year's team showed heart when Tim was out.
    This year's team shows no heart when Tim is IN.

Last year's team didn't try the Lakers "wait until the playoffs, then we'll play" gambit.
    This year's team apparently will.

I love 'em to death but we're only showing glimpses of greatness this year. A quarter here, ten minutes there, is enough to win games. You can't do that in the playoffs. Since the Spurs have never shown this "turn it on in the postseason ONLY" mentality, it's only natural that some of us are skeptical.
    Just a couple notes:

1. Spurs are second in point differential in the league. So they can't be winning small and losing big.

2. Last year Spurs held opponents to 88.4 ppg. This year it's 88.7 ppg. Nominal difference.

3. Spurs are averaging 41.3 rebounds per game. Only 1 less than last season. And currently more than Detroit averages this year. (Detroit actually has a negative rebounding differential, while the Spurs have a positive.)

4. Last year at this time we were wondering if Tim's ankle would even hold up in Round 1.

5. I agree about B2B's.

6. You can't win 59 games in a season and be heartless.

Carry on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will ask, is there any chance spurs can reach this final??
    I'd say a 90% chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giving the Spurs a 25% chance of winning is not gloom and doom. If somebody told me I had a 25% chance of winning the lottery, I'd be thrilled.

But they'd still be playing a team with a better record and a championship pedigree, whom they barely beat last year, and who has owned them twice this year. It's hard to imagine the Spurs being favored in that series, or it even being considered even.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, the odds today in Vegas are 11:5 that the Spurs win the le. Not too bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a couple notes:

1. Spurs are second in point differential in the league. So they can't be winning small and losing big.
    Spurs were around +11 last year before Tim went down. This year they're +7. They're not the team they were last year, even if they win more game.

2. Last year Spurs held opponents to 88.4 ppg. This year it's 88.7 ppg. Nominal difference.
    Just like point differential, opposing PPG was affected by Tim's missing games. They were giving up around 86 ppg before Tim got hurt.

3. Spurs are averaging 41.3 rebounds per game. Only 1 less than last season. And currently more than Detroit averages this year. (Detroit actually has a negative rebounding differential, while the Spurs have a positive.)
    How are they in rebounding % ? Just a question.

4. Last year at this time we were wondering if Tim's ankle would even hold up in Round 1.
    Yes, we were. Tim sucked it up, even when he sprained the other ankle. So the question is, is Tim holding back waiting for the playoffs, or is the PF that much more debilitating than 2 sprained ankles.

5. I agree about B2B's.
    My only concern about B2B's is that they say something about stamina. Will there be some point where they need more than 1 off night to bounce back?

6. You can't win 59 games in a season and be heartless.
    They aren't heartless. Several of them are old and banged up, but they aren't heartless. They may just be the league's second-best team.

Live by what you Speak. DarkReign's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count

This kind of stuff is all BS. I hate to be cliche' but I am more worried about MAKING it to the Finals, nonetheless winning it all.

Tough, tough road ahead for both the Spurs and Pistons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea talk is cheap.. let's play ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs were around +11 last year before Tim went down. This year they're +7. They're not the team they were last year, even if they win more game.
    I didn't say anything about last year's point differential. I just said they can't be "winning small and losing big" as the original poster stated. That would make a negative point differential. As for 11 .. I think it was 11 way before Tim got hurt last year. I think it was 9.something around the time he got hurt.

Just like point differential, opposing PPG was affected by Tim's missing games. They were giving up around 86 ppg before Tim got hurt.
    How many games did Duncan miss at the end of the year? (Serious question, I don't remember.)

How are they in rebounding % ? Just a question.
    Don't know. Where would I find that?

Yes, we were. Tim sucked it up, even when he sprained the other ankle. So the question is, is Tim holding back waiting for the playoffs, or is the PF that much more debilitating than 2 sprained ankles.
    I think Tim's PF is much better already. The 3 games before he got the stomach flu, he played really well. Last night, he looked more lively than I've seen him all season. So I don't think he's holding anything back at this point. We'll see how he plays tomorrow.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now I'd put the odds at 60/40 Detroit, because of the homecourt.

My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Right now I'd put the odds at 60/40 Detroit, because of the homecourt.

That's kinda how I see it aswell.

But moreso because of injuries to the Spurs rather than HCA.

Thread Information