HARLESTON — As rookie Trevor Ariza continued shooting drills 30 minutes after the rest of the Knicks had left the court, Lenny Wilkens nodded in his direction and said, "We can't get him off the court."

Wilkens is enthralled by Isiah Thomas' first Knick draft choice. In Tuesday's first scrimmage, Ariza made another impression. Ariza, the slashing 6-7 UCLA swingman, drove to the basket and was knocked down by Kurt Thomas. A possession later, Ariza went right at Thomas again and converted. "I want him to respect the veterans but don't be in awe of them," Wilkens said. "That's the at ude you have to have."

A source said Ariza will make the 12-man active roster and could see spot duty in the rotation. Not bad for the draft's 43rd pick.

Knicks owner James Dolan arrived here last night to witness the team with the league's highest payroll . . . Nuggets' Kenyon Martin wants no part of Tim Thomas' latest challenge to a boxing match: "I ain't got time to comment on that. I don't have time for games."
While Kurt Thomas scoffed at the idea of Michael Sweetney taking his starting job, the former Georgetown star is keeping it low key. "If I end up starting, I do. If not, it's no big deal. Everybody here wants to start, but my goal is to just win games."

Heat could sign Shandon Anderson if Knicks waive him.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/29839.htm